Fav. guitar sound

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
which guitar tone do you prefer from all of opeth's albums....in three different categories...cleans, distorted, and acoustic

mine would be....cleans - damnation
distorted - Still Life
acoustic - bwp

Clean Electrics and Acoustic - Damnation
Distorted - Orchid (This is of course negating the production, which didn't convey the tone very well. I just hate the overly compressed, weak distortion sounds on the newer albums).

Clean - MAYH (that fender+vox just rapes everything beyond all....)
acoustic - Orchid (dont count all the fret buzz hehe)
distorted - Deliverance (evilest tone i have ever heard.. especially coming from a mesa)

suislidE said:
Clean - MAYH (that fender+vox just rapes everything beyond all....)
acoustic - BWP
distorted - Deliverance (evilest tone i have ever heard.. especially coming from a mesa)

the vox (AC-30 i'm guessing) does produce a lovely and sparkling sound...and the Laney VC-30 is supposed to be kind of a copy...but, i love the full and warm cleans on damnation...then again, that is all based on preference....i prefer full and warm over sparkly and bright.

Yea it really depends on the guitar used and production.. seeing as fenders and prs are totally different obviously, and the production on mayh was decent. Damnation was obviously perfect compared to MAYH's production, so yea. The clean tone on damnation is nice, but in MAYH its like the clean just creates the atmosphere and adds to the music where as in damnation its the main rythym/lead tone. Dont get me wrong, damnation was the second choice.. very close.

Cleans-MAYH
Acoustic-MAYH
Distorted-MAYH

Guess which Opeth album is my favorite...

I just really like all of the guitar and vocal production on that album, because I feel that they found the perfect compromise between shitty production for atmosphere, and being clean enough to enjoy the arrangements. I just love the clean tone of that old strat, like at the intro of When, and the guitars were very agressive, yet clear enough to appreciate the riffs, and just listen to the acoustic tone in The Amen Corner, it's a great mid-range acoustic tone, perfect for that album.

jaykeegan said:
Distorted Electric Guitar - Orchid, Morning Rise and Still Life.
Clean Electric Guitar - Still Life.
Acoustic Guitar - Orchid, Morning Rise and Still Life.

Im sorry, but Still Life and Orchid/Morningrise have totally different guitar tones in all categories...this thread is about which you like the most, if it was just which do you like I would have said all albums for all guitar tones, because I do like them all.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Im sorry, but Still Life and Orchid/Morningrise have totally different guitar tones in all categories...this thread is about which you like the most, if it was just which do you like I would have said all albums for all guitar tones, because I do like them all.

I am aware that ''Orchid'', ''Morning Rise'' and ''Still Life'' all have completely different guitar tones. I am sorry if I am not able to select just a single ''Opeth'' album, That would be by far way to difficult for me to do in my opinion.