Favorite band from a genre you choose

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
thrash ?
yes the vocals especialy are typical thrash metal vocals ...
also the speeds of the albums are thrash too
..DUH..
they are death metal .-
technical thrash metal are other bands ..

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?:rolleyes: those are not typical death metal vocals, the music isn't intense enough to be death metal either. On the early albums Chuck combined growls with screams, where do you find growls on those albums? most of the time (on the last albums) Chuck is either screaming or using clean shouted vocals with a little of rasp (problably with a little of throat use). Compare those vocals and music with early Death or Obituary and let's see what you think:rolleyes:

Since when ''thrash'' has typical vocals? oh and it's funny that you say this:

compare the vocals and the music with the typical thrash vocals and music (slayer, exodus, DARK ANGEL, overkill)

Dark Angel scream a lot on their music, coincidence no?:rolleyes:
Metallica for instance, James most of the time is shouting. Thrash can have lots of screaming, don't beleive me? listen to Terror 2000

arent there screams in death metal ?
On the early albums Chuck combined growls with SCREAMS

the typical death metal vocals are growls, with some screaming thrown in the mix. If you don't beleive me listen to early Death or Obituary. Death's later works were more melody oriented, less intense and Chuck did not use his typical vocals of the earlier works.

Oh and why Death's later works are considered death metal and bands like Soilwork, Terror 2000 and even Dark Angel are not considered death metal? when these bands are way more intense than Death (in their later works) I thought death metal was about intensity most of the time :rolleyes:

i think symbolic is intense as hell ....the difference between the early chuch vocals ...isnt a clue for stopping being death metal ...

I did not say that Symbolic isn't intense, but compare that album with Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy or anything by Obituary. Those albums don't have the intensity or rawness of the earlier albums and they don't even have the typical vocals of a death metal band. That album is intense indeed but intense in the thrash sense.

no it is not about intensity
because terror 2000 and dark angel have 100000% thrash metal riffs ...not death metal riffs....

Oh and Symbolic and The Sound Of Perseverance have 100% death metal riffs? oh man give me a break :lol: I won't even bother. I thought death metal bands were more intense than thrash bands and used growls, I think I was wrong :rolleyes:

with making comparisons there is no point...
if u compare early kreator , to overkill ....early kreator is more intense ...so overkill is not thrash ?
so u cant compare late Death albums to the early ones or to Obituary ...to prove that they are not death metal ...

with making comparisons there is no point...
if u compare early kreator , to overkill ....early kreator is more intense ...so overkill is not thrash ?
so u cant compare late Death albums to the early ones or to Obituary ...to prove that they are not death metal ...

What's the relevance of that statement? Genres are made as an umbrella to fit bands that have similar characteristics. What's the point of fitting a band within a certain genre when the characteristics they have don't fit?

1.The vocals aren't of typical death metal bands.
2.The music is less intense and not even close to their earlier works.
3.The music and a lot of the riffs are melody oriented (way more) and if you compare them to any death metal bands the similarities are slim. Hell the melodies Chuck creates with his riffs remind me more of thrash than death metal :lol:

Obviously you're ignoring all those points.

Atheist had a similar feeling...Cynic did too ...
are they thrash metal ?
obituary's music in "back from the dead" doesnt get close to "slowly we rot" so what "back.." is not death metal?
what are the typical death metal vocals u say ....the screams of tardy, or the growls of chris barnes..
these two singers are completely different....so since they have no connection someone is death metal vocalist and someone is not ???

Atheist had a similar feeling...Cynic did too ...

If we are going to judge the music by feeling then you obviously aren't seeing that you're proving my point. Tell me then, The Sound Of Perseverance has the same feeling that Leprosy has?

what are the typical death metal vocals u say ....the screams of tardy, or the growls of chris barnes..

You've been ignoring what I said about the vocals? death metal bands tend to combine growls with screams and the more brutal ones tend to use a lot more guttural growls. We are not going to judge and say that because one album is less intense than another that it's not death metal (Leprosy is a little less intense than Scream in this case) but the point that you've been ignoring all the way is that The Sound Of Perseverance and Symbolic are a lot less intense, more melody oriented and don't use typical death metal vocals. Tell me then why Soilwork is not Death metal? the early albums are more intense than the latter albums of death, the riffs and the music itself is melody oriented and the vocalist uses screams only. Are you using a double standard here? or is it that a band that was from one style can't change to another style?

What was the whole point of death metal since the start anyway? the bands were more intense than thrash bands, the bands didn't concentrate a lot on melody (note i'm not saying they don't use melodies) and the vocals were a lot different than the other bands out there. Death later works were the complete opposite.

Just one more post before I wrap up this discussion :) Dude stop trying to prove me wrong, you obviously have your opinion and no matter what points and facts I give you, you won't change your mind. If I use your own words ''Judging the music by the feeling'' you obviously prove my point, TSOP and Symbolic are way different than the early albums and way different than death metal bands in general. Anyway don't care about the genres, they are bullshit, the music is the important thing here.

Ps: I had a good time arguing with ya and at least you were more respectful than other people around here.

Death: Yattering, Regurgitate
Black: Limbonic Art
Grind: Anal Blast
Trash: Kreator
Viking/Doom: Amon Amarth
Gothic: Cradle Of Filth
Power: Iced Earth
Other: Hand Full Of Hate, Pakeni, Crainum.

I can be a bit weird, I'll place bands in a catagory they don't even claim theirself to be in. My own little 'voting' system'. So don't get your damn tampon string in a knot if you are displeased with my placing of bands in genre's.

the bands were more intense than thrash bands, the bands didn't concentrate a lot on melody
not just more intense..but
heavier
not with the same rythm all the time ...
not clear vocals at all
and i talked about feeling but u probably saw only the word "feeling" ....u didnt answer to me if atheist are thrash metal too ...or cynic...they have similar feeling to what "sound of .." has ..

Death Metal - Decapitated or Iniquity or Skinless
Old school DM - Grave
Black Metal - Immortal
Thrash - The Crown or Quo Vadis
Grind - Cephalic Carnage
Hardcore/death - Withered Earth
Viking Metal - Amon Amarth
Doom Metal - very early Katatonia or October Tide
Rock - Nightingale
Gothenburg Metal - early In Flames
Prog metal - maudlin of the Well
Power Metal - Blind Guardian
Forest Metal - Opeth
prog rock - Porcupine Tree
Grandiose Metal - Therion
Rap - Old snoop n' dre
Gay stuff - Ace of Base or Aqua (Barbie Girl \m/) or Abba :lol:

Death Metal: Immolation

Thrash: Testament

Black Metal: Ulver

Melodic Death: At The Gates

Traditional Metal: Iron Maiden

Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin

Power Metal: Nevermore

Nu Metal: System of a Down

Punk Rock: Sex Pistols

Doom Metal: Candlemass

Grindcore: REPULSION!!!

Mixed Genres: The Crown

not just more intense..but
heavier
not with the same rythm all the time ...
not clear vocals at all
and i talked about feeling but u probably saw only the word "feeling" ....u didnt answer to me if atheist are thrash metal too ...or cynic...they have similar feeling to what "sound of .." has ..

How can I answer that question when i'm not into those bands? just drop the argument, all your points have been discussed thoroughly and there's not anything more to say.

This whole thing is rather silly, but I'll give in to it, being bored at work and all.

This is off the top of my head, and I'm sure could change from day to day...

Death Metal – Unleashed, Grave, Edge of Sanity
Thrash Metal – Vio-lence, Kreator, Testament
Black Metal - Darkthrone
Traditional Metal – Iron Maiden
Classic Rock – Alice Cooper
Viking Metal - Bathory
Power Metal – Blind Guardian
Stoner Metal – High On Fire
Doom Metal - Confessor