Favorite Black Metal Band!!!

Anyone who says Enslaved's best material is their first is deluded. They are the definition of a band that has gotten better with age.

Get Mardraum: Beyond the Within, Monumension, and Below the Lights first, the others aren't even nearly as good. Eld has an awesome first track, but the rest of the album is nowhere near as good. Blodhymn is probably their worst album, and the ones before Eld aren't all that awesome either.

LuminousAether said:
Anyone who says Enslaved's best material is their first is deluded. They are the definition of a band that has gotten better with age.

Get Mardraum: Beyond the Within, Monumension, and Below the Lights first, the others aren't even nearly as good. Eld has an awesome first track, but the rest of the album is nowhere near as good. Blodhymn is probably their worst album, and the ones before Eld aren't all that awesome either.

Most of the people I know who are into black/viking metal agree that Hordanes Land, Vikingligr Veldi, Frost and Eld are landmarks in that particular genre. Of course, their newer stuff is amazing too, but their earlier albums are much more accesible for those who are more into black and viking metal.

Bumping this thread to show how much this forum has improved in a year.

edit: also to show how few people read the entire thread before posting, I guess.

Nokturnal Mortum
Taake
Negurã Bunget
Blut Aus Nord
Dornenreich
Secrets Of The Moon ( their last)

I have many favorite BM bands:

Burzum
Mayhem
Emperor
Immortal
Darkthrone
Venom
Bathory (R.I.P. Quorthon)
Hellhammer
Azrael
Leviathan
Sargeist
Summoning
Summon
Drudkh
Countess
Impaled Northern Moonforest :D
Wolfnacht
Waffen SS
Graveland
Fullmoon
Moonblood
The Shadow Order
Astrofaes
Nokturnal
Mortum Beherit

I didn't mean to make you sad.

I like those bands, btw.

And trust me, the overall taste has improved an amazing deal, even considering how great the lists were last year.

It's not so much that I have a problem with people liking those bands, but the degree to which general tastes have become much more refined (in that there's now much more appreciation for more obscure, yet equally good artists) is pretty incredible.

Well my two favorites are definitely Emperor and Burzum.

After that:
Countess
Dissection
Enslaved
Nargaroth
Ulver

Then there are a lot of bands that are brillant from what I've heard, but I haven't heard enough to put them on this list yet...

Blut Aus Nord (Work... is brillant, but I have no others...)
Drudkh (Second album is awesome, havent heard first)
Graveland (have really been growing on me lately)
Ludicra (if they just had more material)
Mutiilation (Vampires... is stunning, haven't heard anything else)
Xasthur (I have his second and third, both are excellent)