Favorite Composer

You also shouldn't forget Alan Silvestri, who made the amazing "Back to the Future" series. And also one of the most haunting soundtrack ever made for the "Predator" movie. I still get chills listening it.

Rose Immortal said:
Gladiator's good, but for some reason, The Last Samurai is my favorite Zimmer soundtrack.
that one is excellent as well.

who composed Road to Perdition? It slips my mind... that was amazing.

as for LoTR, it's good... but it'd be better if Summoning had done it. They were actually offered, but they turned it down.

Time-Machinist said:
No, of course i've watched all Star Wars episodes many times :) Except for 1'st and the 4'th episodes, (which are also very good) all episodes are beyond excellent... BTW unlike most fans, my favourite is "Attack Of The Clones" :p

I said (or meant to say) it for Harry Potter series :D

???

attack of the clones????:zombie:

#3 was uber!!

I only like the first episode. And it is especially because of Quai gon Jinn, played by Liam Neeson. He was a good fit as a jedi. And the script was kinda convincing. But in the second and third episodes, it went dull for me. And the old ones lack the jedi thingy :)

OK this is a music topic, so live long John Williams :)

My thoughts on John Williams:

The guy took film scoring to the next level, and continues to do so, BUT... as my composition teacher and I were discussing - the more you learn the standard classical literature, the less you appreciate Williams as a composer. When listening to his soundtracks, you can pretty much pick out what was inspired by Stravinsky, Debussy, Brahms, Holst, etc.. There's a fine line between being influenced and ripping composers off, and he walks it well.

Anyway:
Bach.
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring goes without saying, but he has plenty of other great works, too (A Soldier's Tale comes to mind).
Schoenberg - Serialism usually blows, but his string pieces rule.
Mahler - possibly the king of the string orchestra.
Shostakovich.
Debussy.

And where's the love for Bartok?! I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen his name mentioned yet.

Oh C'mon, this forum can't take any more "rip off" discussions. Let me tell you something, some measures of every piece we listen today, was probably composed many many times in the history before by different musicians, on different instruments, in different forms, with different notes on different pitches, without any recording or reputation of the composer. And we'll never know it.

John Williams, is someone i would never believe him ripping off classical repertory. Even i am ashamed to use his name and rip off in the same sentence. If he ripps off, then everybody ripps off.

RobbM said:

I don't know how you've reached that conclusion. The first one was about as long as a movement in a classical concerto, and with about a tenth of the complexity. Granted, you're allowed to repeat yourself...but most decent composers will try to make things just a little more interesting than playing the same (notably simple) motif over the same (notably simple) harmony. And there were only about 3 (notably simple) motifs in the song in the first place. To compare that to something like the 4th Brandenburg is absurd - using 300 violins doesn't mean you're using them creatively.

II=I said:
Bach - I love the technicality and complexity of his music. IMO it's the closest "classical" parallel to the music I listen to today. I'd like to think that he would be writing in the style of Spiral Architect or some of the other more complex prog bands if he were alive today. [/QOUTE]

Again, to compare what Spiral Architect is doing to what Bach did is unrealistic. Spiral Architect, while I love them as well, are simply not that big a deal. It's not like they do anything particularly mind-blowing harmonically, and wow, they play in 11/8, so?

Haha, don't feel bad, man. It's just a difference of opinions, no big deal.

Edit: Turke - your sig is awesome. I didn't read it the whole way until I saw "Eleven dimensions curled up so tight," and thought, "What's this? String theory?" Badass.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Haha, don't feel bad, man. It's just a difference of opinions, no big deal.

Edit: Turke - your sig is awesome. I didn't read it the whole way until I saw "Eleven dimensions curled up so tight," and thought, "What's this? String theory?" Badass.

Yes, string theory, m theory, everything :) Actually these are the song lyrics for the "Threshold" song called "critical mass". Only the first lines of a 13 minutes song. I also think it is awesome, i wonder if these guys study physics or something, writing such lyrics. Fitting a whole universe in a few lines :) Amazing.

Hahaha... "Critical Mass," good title. Sounds like they read Stephen Hawking or Brian Greene's books. I'm gonna have to check them out.

Back on topic:
Franz Liszt should've been on my list. My choir (yeah, I had to take two years of choir), performed his "Nun Danket Alle Gott" (sp?)... HOLY HELL. What a piece. Killer organ prelude, followed by simple but powerful choir - it's so epic.

coolsnow7 said:
I don't know how you've reached that conclusion. The first one was about as long as a movement in a classical concerto, and with about a tenth of the complexity. Granted, you're allowed to repeat yourself...but most decent composers will try to make things just a little more interesting than playing the same (notably simple) motif over the same (notably simple) harmony. And there were only about 3 (notably simple) motifs in the song in the first place. To compare that to something like the 4th Brandenburg is absurd - using 300 violins doesn't mean you're using them creatively.

WTF are you talking about, I wasn't comparing him to anything or anyone, all I said was I do consider him to be a 20th century classical composer.

turke said:
Oh C'mon, this forum can't take any more "rip off" discussions. Let me tell you something, some measures of every piece we listen today, was probably composed many many times in the history before by different musicians, on different instruments, in different forms, with different notes on different pitches, without any recording or reputation of the composer. And we'll never know it.

John Williams, is someone i would never believe him ripping off classical repertory. Even i am ashamed to use his name and rip off in the same sentence. If he ripps off, then everybody ripps off.

Umm, it's common knowledge that Williams has blatantly ripped off a lot of composers. Too many artists to simply be accidental.

I still like his music, but this knowledge has caused my respect for him to diminish.

OK but why can't you come up with some examples ? Give me something more than words. Like Luis did about SX in a topic.