Favorite Composer

coolsnow7 said:
Again, to compare what Spiral Architect is doing to what Bach did is unrealistic. Spiral Architect, while I love them as well, are simply not that big a deal. It's not like they do anything particularly mind-blowing harmonically, and wow, they play in 11/8, so?

I wasn't comparing Bach to Spiral Architect in terms of greatness or innovation, just that he falls more into the SA area of music as far as technicality and complexity goes, and that is why they both interest me. I think Spiral Architect warrants a little more than a "wow, they play in 11/8", but we can agree to disagree :) .

turke said:
OK but why can't you come up with some examples ? Give me something more than words. Like Luis did about SX in a topic.
Okay. Listen to the original Star Wars soundtrack. Listen to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." Then you'll see where me and this guy are coming from.

Also: Ballad-ish parts = Brahms. Holst and Debussy are ripped pretty commonly, too.

OK. If we are talking about the whole soundtrack, or a complete piece of art, of course there may be places, where artists are heavily influenced by their favorite composers. You can not prevent it from happening. The time will come when you will record your own compositions one day (i hope), you'll hear one of your good old "with a good ear" friend tell you, "hey man, this part sounds exactly like bla bla". (Put one of your favorites in bla bla). And may be you'll also feel weird, or you'll deny it, i don't care. But it will happen. What i try to say is, there is a thin line between being influenced and ripping off. And nobody could ever be out of these two options, unless he/she was born on a desert island, and grew up without listening to any music until he/she became twenty. Then you may talk about being unique, and not influenced. But for now each and every one of us are influenced from something. And this includes John Williams. Even Stravinsky, Brahms or Debussy, which you claim as the names John Williams ripps off.

Kenneth R. said:
who composed Road to Perdition? It slips my mind... that was amazing.
That would be Thomas Newman. Yes, his music is amazing! Check out the scores for "American Beauty," "The Shawshank Redemption," and "Cinderella Man."

Ok, other favorite composers:
Beethoven - enough said
Mozart
Wagner
Mendelssohn
Respighi - "Pines of Rome" = :headbang:
John Williams - :worship: - one of the biggest reasons why we picture in our heads space adventure (Star Wars), majestic dinos (Jurassic Park), tragic hatred (Schindler's List), and magical wonder (Harry Potter). A supreme musical storyteller
Danny Elfman - could there be any better musical compliment to Tim Burton?
Jerry Goldsmith - incredible musical versatility and ability to musically characterize a film
Hans Zimmer - great rousing, bombastic music, as well as hauntingly beautiful pieces (The Da Vinci code is amazing)
James Horner - despite self-plagiarism, great sense of drama through strings and melody
Alan Silvestri - try listening to the "Forrest Gump Suite" and not get a little choked up
Nobuo Uematsu - just listen to the music of Final Fantasy VII

greenaxer said:
That would be Thomas Newman. Yes, his music is amazing! Check out the scores for "American Beauty," "The Shawshank Redemption," and "Cinderella Man."

One of my favorite piece: "American Beauty OST - Arose". Words can not describe :worship:

John Williams - :worship: - one of the biggest reasons why we picture in our heads space adventure (Star Wars), majestic dinos (Jurassic Park), tragic hatred (Schindler's List), and magical wonder (Harry Potter). A supreme musical storyteller

I've already said what i have to say :)

Jerry Goldsmith - incredible musical versatility and ability to musically characterize a film

R.I.P.

Hans Zimmer - great rousing, bombastic music, as well as hauntingly beautiful pieces (The Da Vinci code is amazing)

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron OST with Bryan Adams. It is great. Simple but great. But not so simple is the piece "Run Free" in this soundtrack. It makes you feel that a horse is running in your room. Amazing :loco:
Also the two pieces he made for the movie "Rain Man", absolutely stunner.

Alan Silvestri - try listening to the "Forrest Gump Suite" and not get a little choked up

Back to the Future :headbang:

II=I said:
I wasn't comparing Bach to Spiral Architect in terms of greatness or innovation, just that he falls more into the SA area of music as far as technicality and complexity goes, and that is why they both interest me. I think Spiral Architect warrants a little more than a "wow, they play in 11/8", but we can agree to disagree :) .

Heh, yeah I was exaggerating. It just bugs me when you have people who think if Bach lived nowadays he'd be writing stuff as simple as it's written nowadays...yeah I love Spiral Architect too.

My favorite composer is more modern day. He's no longer with us, but the man did it ALL!

Who is it? Frank Zappa

He has composed/arranged everything from do-wop to classical (w/London Symphony). Very prolific writer, biting both lyrically & musically, you won't see anyone like him grace this planet any time soon. Hands down, my absolute favorite....

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
My favorite composer is more modern day. He's no longer with us, but the man did it ALL!

Who is it? Frank Zappa

He has composed/arranged everything from do-wop to classical (w/London Symphony). Very prolific writer, biting both lyrically & musically, you won't see anyone like him grace this planet any time soon. Hands down, my absolute favorite....

J-Dubya
I should hit myself for not mentioning Zappa... That guy is an absolute genius in every way! :worship: :worship:

Montu Sekhmet said:
Zappa. hehe. I think I'm goin to montana soon....cook me up a crop of dental floss.....

I hope that's not all you know of FZ. A lot of people who know of his popular (but NOT hits) stuff, and think he's the Weird Al of the 70's/early 80's but there is enough material to delve into that should make ANY fan of music happy. He truly is/was a legend. I about shit myself when I found out MJR was a pretty big Zappa fan... That's VERY cool.

J-Dubya