favorite computer apps

LydonB

Jun 7, 2005
Ashburn, VA
I suppose this is the right place...didn't really thing Equipment would be the best place to put this.

Anyhow...

What are some of your favorite applications for computers that make using a computer easier, etc.? I would have to say for me right now it is Quicksilver for OS X. Pretty solid program once you get the hang of it and make some triggers and stuff. Anyone else have a favorite or two?

Ok, just the ones that aren't recording related:

I used to use Winamp for years but since I discovered the Jet Audio Player, there's no looking back (I even bought the pro version 'cause the sound quality improves so much - highly recommended).

I like Media Player Classic too, but the VLC Media Player is my app to go for videos.

WinRAR is my archiver to go and I'm browsing with Firefox.

One app that comes in pretty handy is - the now discontinued - ATNotes for virtual post-its.

And I recently discovered Hotspot Shield to cheat on hulu.com... ehh, I mean to secure myself in a public hotspot. ;)

I like jet audio too! Its so freakin comfortable just sitting above the taskbar. Firefox. Reaper for recording. Miroslav philharmonik for samples and play around ;) funny how easy it can be to control a full choir. Sonic stage - to write music to my beloved sony MD player. VLC for playing video. Guitar pro for some guitar reasons ;)
And i have been playing starcraft a lot lately, since I have never completed the campaigns Im trying to fix it atm. One of the classic games that every man should complete ;)
Gonna be playing Assasins creed when my new system gets here!

VLC or foobar for audio, Firefox (or Iceweasel, depending on the Linux distro I'm using) for browsing, Scilab and Pari for computations, random text editor for programming (command line, bitches!), GAIM/Pidgin for communications.

Jeff

I think the office products from Microsoft aren't that bad (at least for basic work). Sure there's freeware out there like OpenOffice that's getting better and better, but there are still many compatibility issues. I can have MS Office (or basically any other MS software product) legally for free on a student license, so why not.

I have one professor right now who's probably about as computer literate as the average lawn dart and is unable to comprehend the possibility of putting the class notes - which serve as the only written information in the class, as there is no book or other recommended resource - in PDF format instead of just assuming that nobody has problems opening Word documents with bizarre symbols that require special installation instructions and that literally have Computer Bullshit 101 mistakes like using Enter repeatedly until a new page is opened instead of page breaks.

Jeff

Haha, I know that. But I seriously believe that the percentage of people having installed Word, or any other app being able to interpret .doc files, will be higher than the percentage of people having a pdf reader installed...

Edit: And the usage of Enter instead of page breaks separates the n00bs from the nerds ;)

Haha, I know that. But I seriously believe that the percentage of people having installed Word, or any other app being able to interpret .doc files, will be higher than the percentage of people having a pdf reader installed...

Yay for monopoly packaging!

And for fuck's sake, any time a PDF file is given out someone has to shove Adobe links down my throat, up my ass, and into holes that didn't even exist until some goddamned pop-up shanked me with a paperclip.

On top of that, it would take three more seconds for Microsoft to add PDF virtual printing to the Office suite, and I wouldn't have to murder as many fucked-up wankers because they wasted my time with .docs... but that would make too much fucking sense, so now I have to stockpile ammunition for the day of reckoning. Bastards.

Jeff

On top of that, it would take three more seconds for Microsoft to add PDF virtual printing to the Office suite, and I wouldn't have to murder as many fucked-up wankers because they wasted my time with .docs... but that would make too much fucking sense, so now I have to stockpile ammunition for the day of reckoning. Bastards.

Amen!

But in defense to Microsoft one must note that Adobe threatened MS to sue their asses if they implement the open PDF standard. Bloodsucking bullshit from every side.. oh well, it's only a matter of time until they'll get googlelized anyway. :rolleyes:

for me ... avast or avg free AV ... most commercial Anti-virus prog's are too resource hungry and are generally no better, probably worse actually. Firefox is great, Guitar pro is the best tabbing prog, Winrar+winace combo, Nero for burning cd's, VSO's convertX to DVD for converting anything to DVD the easiest and quickest... and most importantly if you have windows, make a linux/windows dual boot ... currently using ubuntu(i'm only new) and it's saved my ass when xp fucked up recently. Plus i had alot of fun with beyrl and those other desktop effects.

iGoogle.
-google calendar
-google reader
-gmail preview
-to do list
-google notebook
-weather
on one page.

Pidgin messenger, MSN, Yahoo, Google, ICQ, AIM, etc all in one.
Open office (although most of that stuff can be done with Google Docs, but GD is slow as hell)
Foobar 2000
uTorrent

Another cool one that I found out about today is here... http://www.applesource.biz/software/timenet/index.html

It is called TimeNet Pro. It basically can do a bunch of stuff but it really is kind of a time clock type thing. It can do invoices and stuff. It seems like a really useful thing for keeping track of how long is spent mixing, tracking, etc. Pretty cool app.

just tried this out!.
Fucking awesome!