Ripping CD's onto computer.

Susperia

Mar 8, 2004
United States
I've started putting my CD's onto my computer as backups (I have a little brother who tends to steal them from me, anyone else with this problem?) Plus it's good to have them in case you wear out the CD, which I've done before. So I thought at least I'll have them on my computer, however, I can't seem to do it right.

I guess the program I'm using is wrong, they make them into M3u's instead of Mp3's... Is it the program or do I need to adjust something? I'm sorry if it's a really dumb question, but I would like to know how to do this properly, for the above reasons.

What program are you using for it?

I rip all my CDs to high quality mp3 as well (I don't even own a CD player yet I have a 450+ CD collection) and I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping the discs. It's a free tool.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Then I use LAME to encode them to mp3 (you can plug LAME directly into EAC and make it do all the work). You can find the LAME encoder here (open the .cab with WinZip or WinRAR or whatever):

http://lame.bakerweb.biz/

It might not be the easiest tools to do it if you are unfamiliar with all of this but you can produce high quality rips with it which is why I use them.

I'm pretty sure windows media player will upload cds in regular mp3 format. I don't upload often but almost sure.

Good lord, I know I'm really computer illiterate--- I guess I will try Cd-ex, since that seems to be the easiest. I also already have Windows Media Player, so I'll try that as well. Thanks guys.

Also, if you sit at the computer naked cds upload themselves.

I don't care nerd. Go figure out how many formats you can 'rip' cds to the computer with until you get a hobby.

Susperia said:
I've started putting my CD's onto my computer as backups (I have a little brother who tends to steal them from me, anyone else with this problem?) Plus it's good to have them in case you wear out the CD, which I've done before. So I thought at least I'll have them on my computer, however, I can't seem to do it right.

I guess the program I'm using is wrong, they make them into M3u's instead of Mp3's... Is it the program or do I need to adjust something? I'm sorry if it's a really dumb question, but I would like to know how to do this properly, for the above reasons.

Yeah, I did actually. I found that buying a stack full of cheap, non-branded CD-Rs did the trick, so I could copy the cds he liked, without comprimising my cd collection. That was a long time ago, but Im glad that he did like my cds, as they ripped him out of his rap/pop fixation.

I thought the cost of the blanks was worth it as it:
a) kept my original cds safe

and

b) helped edumacate him.

Susperia said:

Windows Media Player is easiest and it rips the .MP3's at 320KBS along with the album art and track titles. You just click the "Rip" tab and it reads the drive then you click the button and it converts and rips.

ProjectedBlack said:
Windows Media Player is easiest and it rips the .MP3's at 320KBS along with the album art and track titles. You just click the "Rip" tab and it reads the drive then you click the button and it converts and rips.

Except I find that it really really distorts the sounds of the cymbals. Anyone else get that ?

Good choice with CDex. It's very easy to use and I've never had a problem. Good luck! And don't give up... I'm sure it will take a while. :)

Carcassian said:
Except I find that it really really distorts the sounds of the cymbals. Anyone else get that ?

Yeah I had a different but related problem with windows media player...

IT FUCKING SUCKED. Yep. Not a fan. Everything always sound horrible through it... oh well.

ProjectedBlack said:
I've never had a problem, perhaps there's some settings you should play with or the sound configuration is just messed up.

I've had it with every wmp cd ever made by me or for me. Maybe my ears are just past warranty:err: