Favorite keyboardist?

Evan84

Absinthe Minded
Jun 12, 2003
Goa, India
Visit site
I'm curious to know who everyone's favorite keyboardist is (if you like keys at all). Feel free to discuss, but DO NOT turn the thread into a discussion of skill. It's about your personal preference based on style, sound, etc.

My favorite would be Sven Karlsson of Soilwork/Evergrey. The sound he creates and the way he is able to fit them so flawlessly into songs is amazing.

Evan84 said:
My favorite would be Sven Karlsson of Soilwork/Evergrey. The sound he creates and the way he is able to fit them so flawlessly into songs is amazing.

so fuckin' there!

I don't know if he's my favourite, but I really enjoy Fredrik Hermansson from Pain of Salvation. He's talented, but never goes off on self indulgent tangents like, say, Rudess. He adds lots to the songs, but blends in perfectly.

Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater because of the jazzy playing on dance of eternity. He won me over with that, and stfu, im a whore for jazz ( thats why cynic is my alltime fav band atm )

Misanthrope ( Metal could use more jazz, or at least jazz thinking when composing it )

Kevin Moore, he's always played with genuine emotion and 'A Pleasant Shade of Gray' is one of my favorite albums by in large part because of him.

Ben Ryan, ex- Cradle Of Filth, ex-The Blood Divine. COF's first album wouldn't be half as good as it is without his work, it blew me away when I first heard it, and his stuff with The Blood Divine just ruled- cheesy 70's keyboard work = win :D

Haven't heard anything from him in ages though

illbeleavinnow said:
As a pianist I hold little to no respect to keyboardists, but I'd have to say I love Keith Emerson, because he's a genius, an amazing songwriter, and has great improvisation skills.

As far as metal goes, Bless from Hortus Animae is a great musician and play sthe keys quite well.

Keith Emerson without a doubt.

Rick Wakeman close behind.