Favorite keyboardist?

Static said:
Also, his instrumentals kicked ass. Just listen to Any Colour You Like and tell me he isn't a genius. That song is psychadelic goodness.

You are quite correct my good friend.

I'd like to add Pete Bardens from Camel. Rest in peace man.

narcisco said:
Nothing like an elitist piano player for putting down electronic instruments and the rock genre in general.
Man so what if some of the stuff is not that technical to play. Just like if you isolate certain sections of bass playing that just are well pretty straightforward. Any way you come across as a musical snob but hey.
A keyboardists role in a metal band is generally support driven but as many have pointed out their soloing ability and intricate compositional pieces are at times brilliant. And it takes more then technique to play metal and rock and improvise. I mean I have played in small orchestras (bass guitar) for stage shows and here is this classically trained pianist who can sight read absolutely anything. But if you played a blues progression could absolutely not play a fucking solo to save her life. In fact the whole concept of "making something up" was terrifying for her.
And believe me this a common affliction of classically trained "musicians".
It cuts both ways.

Obviously it goes both ways but generally the keyboardists are the ones lacking skill. It's mostly a waste of band space unless the focus is ON the keyboards. I don't see why so many bands have a full-time keyboardist when he doesn't do much work except play a few backing keys. It makes much more sense to get a session keyboardist.

And yes I am a musical snob. I'm all up for people trying instruments and having fun but if it's your job you better be damn well talented and frankly not too many nowadays are.