Favorite/Least Favorite Song on Ghost Reveries

Favorite song: Hard one. I want to say "Ghost of Perdition", "The Baying of
the Hounds" and "Reverie/Harlequin Forest". But since I have to choose I'd
say the latter - "Harlequin forest" - because that song fucking kickass...
I mean my God the lyrics:

:worship: "Instruments of death before me" :worship:

Least good song: Hard one. I don't want to mention anyone since I like them
all, but I guess I'd go with "The Grand Conjuration". But that's just because
the ending is very boring and repetitive!

Current Favorite = Beneath The Mire , for some strange reason I am just addicted to it, it runs through my head non stop.
Least Favorite = The Grand Conjuration , it bores me now, I heard it far too much way before I bought the album and now when I listen to the album I have to skip it alot simply because I know it to well for it to interest me, no doubt Within a couple of months I'll be able to listen to it again.

:Wreath: said:
Ghost of Perdition is my favourite (though The Baying of the Hounds is stepping on its heels)

My least favourite would be Hours of Wealth - it's a very good song but not as good as the rest

I second that emotive. HOW is a good song though. Just the least good.

favorite: Ghost of Perdition (up there with The Moor and Leper Affinity)
least favorite: Reverie/Harlequin Forest (boring and mish-mashy, does nothing for me at all, lyrics are lame)

in limbow said:
least favorite: Reverie/Harlequin Forest (boring and mish-mashy, does nothing for me at all, lyrics are lame)

Aw come on, the middle of that song (acoustic part through "are the forgiven?") contains some of the greatest Opeth moments ever. Rest of the song is kinda meh though, especially the last 2-3 minutes.

saut said:
Aw come on, the middle of that song (acoustic part through "are the forgiven?") contains some of the greatest Opeth moments ever. Rest of the song is kinda meh though, especially the last 2-3 minutes.

Nah, the whole thing is just meh. It could disappear into nothingness and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Especially dumb sounding is the part with just the guitar harmonics and vocals. I don't know why, it just sounds laughably stupid. Sorry

Favorite: Harlequin Forest & Beneath the Mire
Least Favorite: Atonement
Not that I don't like the song itself, it just sounds out of place with the rest of the album. It's an interesting musical direction, but sounds like it should have been on Damnation rather than GR. Overall though, not a bad song at all.

in limbow said:
Nah, the whole thing is just meh. It could disappear into nothingness and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Especially dumb sounding is the part with just the guitar harmonics and vocals. I don't know why, it just sounds laughably stupid. Sorry

How can't you like the "they are the trees" part? Or the clean electric riff that loops like 50 times afterwards? Or the bombastic "harlequin forest" part? I could take or leave the rest of the song, though.

Tough question. I dont mind Baying of the Hounds, but that fuckin organ in the background totally wrecks it for me. Beneath the Mire is a really good one. I like Isolation Years and Hours of Wealth as well.

To be honest the only song I really don't like is Atonement and even it isnt all that bad. My favorites are probably BTM, HOW or TGC.

This and Morningrise are easily my LEAST favorite Opeth records thus far, but by no means is this one a bad album.

Fave: Reverie/Harlequin Forest - One of Opeth's finest moments. I can see this song being up there with the best Opeth songs in the future.

Least Fave: Atonement - Like TGC, not enough variation and ends up being too long. The riffs are good, but just needed more too it.

Ikil

tappistrt said:
Least Favorite: Atonement
Not that I don't like the song itself, it just sounds out of place with the rest of the album. It's an interesting musical direction, but sounds like it should have been on Damnation rather than GR.

Do you really think so? Since GR came out I keep hearing that Atonement and HoW and even Isolation Years 'sound out of place' on the album and should have been on Damnation. To me none of these songs would fit on damnation, perhaps especially Atonement. Damnation's mood and atmosphere is so wholly its own, and Atonement wouldn't fit at all, and would really seem out of place then. I think Atonement fits best on GR b/c it is justified by some of the sections of the other songs, and the overall feel of the album. It's like if BWP was released now and people would say that Harvest is out of place, and should have been on Damnation. Now Harvest is much less of a stretch than Atonement would be, but even on the DVD Harvest breaks up the feel and atmosphere of the Damnation set considerably.

That being said, Favorite: Ghost of Perdition (runner-ups: Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years).

Least Favorite: sections of Atonement, the verses of TGC, the first verse of Beneath the Mire, and the riff in R/HF right after it gets heavy again. I don't have any least fave song.

saut said:
How can't you like the "they are the trees" part? Or the clean electric riff that loops like 50 times afterwards? Or the bombastic "harlequin forest" part? I could take or leave the rest of the song, though.
Yeah, those are about the only mildly interesting parts in the whole song.

You guys are crazy. I fucking love Atonement. My brother calls it the "hippie song". I can't understand why so many of you don't like it that much. Fucking Grand Conjuration though- i like the song, but it sounds a little mainstream-ish, ya know?

Sadpoet said:
You guys are crazy. I fucking love Atonement. My brother calls it the "hippie song". I can't understand why so many of you don't like it that much. Fucking Grand Conjuration though- i like the song, but it sounds a little mainstream-ish, ya know?

I think Atonement is great. My problem with it is that there seems to be dead spots in it, where the emotion isn't there, and other parts where there is something. It just sounds flat and lets the song down. I would like to hear it live though and think it would sound great, although it probably wouldn't be enjoyable since everyone would just decide to talk right through it, like they did during Face of Melinda those bastards.