Favorite metal w/ no samples from the last 10 years

kaomao said:
No that's triggered, Bob Rock used to trigger even on Motley Crue Dr Feelgood

It's not "triggered". Bob Rock spends a long ass time getting kick drum sounds. He uses several mics (at varying distances) and builds a tunnel out of blankets. Then he adds a really low frequency sample in the mix - just like everyone else.

You'd be hard pressed to find any metal recording from the last 10 years that don't use a super low sample (or an oscillator) on the kick. Terry Date does it too, and Vinnie picked that up from him. Vinnie also tapes coins to the head and beater for that clicky sound. He probably got that from Date, too.

Skogsberg productions were natural drums, I believe. Grave's "Soulless" and Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" come to mind, but that might have been over 10 years ago. He used to talk shit about producers using samples, and I always thought that he was taking a shot at Colin Richardson. Even though Skogsberg's stuff sounded cool (I said cool not good), nobody can fuck with CR.

Great thread,

I am a coinsure of natural drum productions. To me , there is nothing like a great drum set in a great room, with a great drummer playing.

Subtract any of these elements of course (especially the great drummer part:loco: ) and of course sound replacing the piss out of a kit and quantizing and editing come in to play.

My bands cd that we are working on right now is 100% natural drums, and they sound HUGE and killer. Was it more work to get them that way?

yes a ton more! alot more takes, alot of preproduction, changing mics, placement, tuning, eq , ect. The hardest part was concentrating on keeping my hits consistant and even. The difference is to me, my drums have there own character, and I have the sense of pride an accomplishment knowing that its all me and that we busted our ass's to get it to sound the way it does!! SOUND REPLACE THAT!!! hahaha

Heres to real drum productions!:kickass:

metalkingdom said:
Skogsberg productions were natural drums, I believe. Grave's "Soulless" and Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" come to mind, but that might have been over 10 years ago.

"Wolverine Blues" was triggered all the way through (kick, toms and snare). Tomas Skogsberg told me, "To ride..." had more natural drums, but still some support of triggered sounds here and there.

revolver said:
"Wolverine Blues" was triggered all the way through (kick, toms and snare). Tomas Skogsberg told me, "To ride..." had more natural drums, but still some support of triggered sounds here and there.

Listening back to it now, I can totally hear the snare. That kick has got to be natural, though. Using kick samples was like the main thing he used to flame on.

daveotero said:
The kick was triggered on Anomalies. Sampled his actual drum, no blending or anything. All other drums are natural. Very VERY minimal editing though, fixed like 2 little parts.

The album before that, Lucid Interval, was all natural. Not that they sounded that great. :lol:

BTW - Tracking for the new Cephalic starts in November.

FUCK YYYYEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! your gonna have to give me a sneak preview lol:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

egan. said:
Sorry to be a dick but both BWP and Still life have triggers-- they are just triggered well.
I think some folks are having trouble distinguishing between "no triggers" and triggers mixed w/ mics.

I always thought Opeth's drum sounds were entirely natural up until about a year and a half ago, myself. IIRC, their triggering is pretty minimal most of the time. Isn't it just a 50/50 mix of mic/trigger on the kicks during the heavy bits or something along those lines? (If they triggered the snare, I'd hate to have to engineer that! 10 minute tracks full of single stroke rolls and ghost notes. o_O )

What gets people- myself (formerly) included- thinking that Opeth doesn't trigger is that the drums have actual dynamics, which is rare in most any rock subgenre these days, let alone a prog death metal band. Opeth doesn't go for the heavily triggered/processed sound to begin with- their drums are pretty dry- so we percieve them as natural.

I've heard Derek Roddy is working on a way to do his hyper blast thing without triggers. Apparently the kicks are a flaming bitch, 'cause he has to muffle the crap out of them- we're talking about a guy who gets 1000+ hits per minute on his kicks here- which completely kills their tone. He's a killer player, and if he can pull that off and make it sound decent on a dry kit, he gets a ton of respect from me. :worship:

Jackal_Strain said:
Cephalic carnage is probably one of my favs too!

My girlfriend was in a death metal band when she lived in Phoenix about six years ago. They were hanging out at Cephalic Carnage's rehersal space and she was so drunk she fell asleep on the floor in front of their kit while they practiced. True story. :kickass: :puke: :lol:

Not really "metal" but amazing acoustic drum sound with plenty of dynamic:
Rollins Band - COME IN AND BURN (1997)

True, although i heard their drummer uses an electronic drumkit, so he doesnt get as much bounce when hitting the snare so he can play quicker. My ex knows the bass players tech.