Favorite ND song

I really love the way you write solos, they almost always fit the songs perfectly, and have a lot of emotion and feeling to them.

Also, you guys need to come out to the west coast some time! I've now gotten into photography, and concert photography and can't wait to shoot pictures of you guys live.

We are working with a booker on the west coast, and HOPEFULLY have some dates the end of this summer.

My solos are usually worked out in advance before I record them in the studio. Some bits get tweaked at the last minute, Chris helps me with that and helps guide me if I need to rework something that just isn't working. I want the solos to carry on a melody in the same way that the vocals do, that's the way I look at it. I love guitar shredders (some of 'em at least) and I can enjoy watching/listening to people play really fast and technical but that's just not what works in ND. Doing that might add a "wow" factor for some, but I think it'd be a cheap thrill and nothing more. As you said it has to serve the song.

But obviously when I'm first composing the solo during the songwriting phase, it's alot of improvising and trial and error. Alot of times I'll come up with several different takes and approaches, and then just compile the best bits of each until I have a solo that flows and makes sense (or at least that's the plan lol).

I find speed to be some kind of security blanket sometimes, you know? Like if im stuck some were or cant find a melody il just add some sweeping or long runs filled with speed. I think anyone can learn how to shred a little if its something you realy want but i dont think you can teach someone to serve a song, well you can try but i think it comes with experience and maturity. I hear more maturity in your playing and thats probably why i like INRI so much... just the sound of a band who knows what there doing and dont feel the need to overplay anything at all. just nice smooth songs. Im also a big fan of Dark Tranquillity and they put out "fiction" wich i find amazingg but reviewers get stuck on the fact that the riffs are not as crazy as "Gallery" wich came out over 10 years earlier. But to me its just a better group of musicians doing what is needed to make good songs. There is no "punish my heaven" on Fiction but it dosnt make it less of an amazing DT album.

I've always been drawn towards "If Forever" and after seeing the band play it live, it's definitely my favorite

Just wanted ti chime in on the solos discussion - your solos are always right on the money. Never too much, and they always seem to flow with the feel of the song and are beautifully executed. You don't get enough credit for your soloing, Larry!

Larry has some of the most tasteful solos out there. He puts a lot of work into choosing just the right notes and feeling, it is great to know you guys appreciate and hear that. In MY opinion, he's criminally under rated as a song writer, and soloist. It blows 95% of the garbage in our genre out of the water. Yeah, I said it.

I think i found the song i would pick if i could pick just one ND song as the best it would be "A Eulogy for the living lost"

Recognition for myself is nice of course, but really I just want people to appreciate the songs they hear and acknowledge the band as a whole for it.

Yknow I have a hard time relating to alot of metal that's being released these days, in all of the different sub-genres, I find very little that really appeals to me and strikes a chord (no pun) for me. I'd like to think that we write good songs that are relevant but when I see what everyone else is praising and I see how we still struggle to get respect, I wonder if maybe it's me who is just out of step?

So yknow, when you guys do come forward and give your appreciation, it's meaningful and truly appreciated, so thanks.

I'd like to think that we write good songs that are relevant but when I see what everyone else is praising and I see how we still struggle to get respect.

It sucks that all these "pop" metal bands get all the praise but at the same time i dont think a lot of people will be listening to those albums in 10 years. I do think that albums like Novela and Pale haunt will still be relevant in 15 years and considered classics. Kinda like "master of puppets" is still relevant 25 years later.

I was listening to "last god" and it's so dark and doomy. Could it be the darkest Nd song ever? I'm on a Knowing high right now!!!!!!

If you can imagine this, I actually wanted "Last God" to be even MORE slow, heavy and depressing than it already is. Once we put everyone else's input in, and got the results we did, we were happy with it as it was. Plus in retrospect now I think that goddamn song is plenty slow and drawn out enough! But it was a case of art imitating life because I was so incredibly depressed and miserable in my life when I wrote it. The way I'm feeling lately I could probably write a whole side album's worth of "Last God" type of songs, lol.

If you can imagine this, I actually wanted "Last God" to be even MORE slow, heavy and depressing than it already is. Once we put everyone else's input in, and got the results we did, we were happy with it as it was. Plus in retrospect now I think that goddamn song is plenty slow and drawn out enough! But it was a case of art imitating life because I was so incredibly depressed and miserable in my life when I wrote it. The way I'm feeling lately I could probably write a whole side album's worth of "Last God" type of songs, lol.

Wow i can't imagine the song being any slower or heavier. You can pretty much feel the pain you felt in the music. I'm sorry your feeling down, i'm also in a weird state of depression that i dont understand wich is probably why im so attracted to this song lately. It's always darkest before the dawn lol just wanted to leave you with some cheese to go with your podcast wine.

Most of my favorites come from Sculptured Ivy, like Jealous Sun, With Rue and Fire, and Forever With Unopened Eye, and still hold sentimental value as a sort of marker for that time. I was an impressionable teen when this album came out, which I first heard on a local rock station during their two-hour metal showcase.

I was listening to iced earth and was just thinking of how it would be cool to hear ND play "Dracula". I know that there is no power metal fans in ND:rolleyes:... so this would never happen but it be cool.

I was listening to iced earth and was just thinking of how it would be cool to hear ND play "Dracula". I know that there is no power metal fans in ND:rolleyes:... so this would never happen but it be cool.

Dude, Mike and I are HUGE Iced Earth fans and power metal fans! Larry likes them quite a bit to, though he may not admit it sometimes :)

Dracula and Phantom Opera Ghost are two of my all time favorite IE songs. They are so epic and powerful. I would love to do a cover of Dracula.