Favorite nighttime metal?

Orion Crystal Ice

Rider of the Astral Fire
Aug 22, 2002
The Road to Purity
What're the albums and songs that most fit the mood during sleep/insomnia periods for you? Some of the stuff that fits this mold for me is some of the most beautiful metal ever created IMO.....

Lengsel - Solace.....songs, Avmakt, Revival, Hours
Opeth - Morningrise....songs, all of course, but Advent and The Night and the Silent Water stand out, in terms of vibe.
Dream Theater - Awake....songs, Erotomania, Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

There's some more, but those are above all else. Pretty cool that two out of three of them have "extreme" vocals, takes a great band to pull off the moods they do.

Reactions: St. Vitus
I like listening to Katatonia at night because Jonas' vocals are so haunting, yet soothing. I tried falling asleep to In Flames the other night. No dice. Anders' vocals are too...let's put it this way. An insomniac could never sleep with that on.

Reactions: Tebus
Any song with a night, or highway theme to it. Especially if driving at night.

Examples.
Saxon - Midnight Rider - Ride Like The Wind
Drive - I Need The Nights (Queensryche-esque band, I guess)
Dio - Night Music - I Speed At Night
Queensryche - Nightrider

I don't usually listen to music when it's bedtime, though I have fallen asleep while listening to music. On the rare occasion I have a hard time sleeping I usually put on mostly instrumentals like Yngiew's first CD.

Bryant

I will frequently listen to metal on headphones right before falling asleep. Sometimes it's because I want something relaxing (Anathema's "Eternity" hits the spot, as does Agalloch and Katatonia); other times it's because I'm particularly interested in examining an album "up close", something that headphones afford.

However, it doesn't have to be anything "relaxing", per se - for instance, after a stressful day, I might listen to something more complex such as Opeth or Abigor, and by concentrating on one aspect of the song or another, my stress dissipates and before I know it I'm out like a light. Even music that's not necessarily complex, but simply fascinates me will do the same (the Emperor/Enslaved split is a great example of this).

Some more good ones:
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Celestial Season - Solar Lovers (this is a great one for afternoon naps)
any funeral doom - Skepticism, Shape of Despair
Morgion - anything
Saturnus - For the Loveless Lonely Nights

70s rock/metal is great too - it's got a great vibe that you can just kinda space out to at night: Scorpions - Lonesome Crow, Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla, and something I heard for the first time tonight which will soon be a nighttime favorite: Hawkwind - Levitation.

just to name some; wongraven - fjelltronen, ulver - bergtatt and kveldesanger, but i usually don't listen to music before i go to sleep, but i prefer this type of music when driving at night or sitting in a dark room by my computer with only the faint glow of the monitor to light things up :)

Winds - Reflection of the 1
any Blind Guardian
Rammstein
Soilwork - Predator's Portrait
Mushroomhead - XX
<--Dark Tranquillity - Haven
and any Ambient (Edgen, Thy Veils)

When staying up on purpose, I like to listen to ultra-modern black metal; I'm thinking "Grand Declaration Of War" or "Fire Walk With Us!". The Aborym CD, in particular, sent me on a trip that no CD (or film, for that matter) since has matched. I was genuinely having visions by the end of "Theta Paranoia". It's music with layers that suits me in those situations.

If I can't sleep and want something to drop off to, i don't listen to "Metal" at all. I've not sunk to "Maximum Ibiza Chillout" levels, but I've got an Enya CD that's had a fair few spins.

When I've insomnia or other nocturnal diseases, the only way to calm it down is some Pagan BM like Wyrd, suicidal stuff: Xasthur, or atmospheric tunes: Thou Art Lord/Potentiam/Thy Serpent.