Favorite non-old school metal bands

delize said:
Darn.... I forgot Bruce too. Which albums do you like best? I have
"Accident of Birth" & "The Chemical Wedding" :)

I like BTB the best..."Accident of Birth" is also a good album. Haven't heard "The Chemical Wedding"....yet. Bruce never fails to impress... -Prof.BoneHer

Very interesting thread. In trying to keep as closely to the concept I think you're going for here, the post-'90 non-oldschool bands I'm most fond of are...

Katatonia
H.I.M
Opeth
Mastodon
Thought Industry
Genius Hired Guns
Moonspell
Cradle Of Filth
Pyogenesis
Edge Of Sanity
Atrocity
Meshuggah (particularly 1990-1996 era)
Winter
Gorefest

this is harder than I thought....but this is the best list I can think of right now!

Children of Bodom
Iced Earth
The Haunted
Dew Scented
God Forbid
Shadows Fall
In Flames(older stuff)
Dimmu Borgir
Cathedral
My Dying Bride
Samael
Monstrosity
Cannibal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Arch Enemy

to name a few

I often talk about newer bands here, but some I consider to have an oldschool style.... those are:

Tad Morose
Wolf
Angel Dust
Brainstorm

All of those bands are power-metal, but are closer to 80's power metal style compared to many of the typical Euro power bands.

Most of the non-oldschool style metal I listen to is prog. THose bands include:

Vanden Plas
Pagans Mind
Symphony X
Balance of Power

Bryant

Interesting point you brough here Bryant.

Regarding Wolf no discussion I'm the first in line to defend their old schools style with a modern approach (same as Stimulans, Sickboy band).

Now going into the bands you mentioned as prog, I'm carefully (because I'm faintly familiar with their sound) going to venture that they may be not old school per se but definitively (and unlike mallcore bands IMO) have the old PROG school influence. Some modern bands may not sound old school but have the influence, and some more than others capture the sound closer.

For me The Flower Kings (one of my fave) are one of the modern bands (with already 10 years in the road) with more old Prog school apporach, while let's say Dream Theater has a more modern sound (especially TOT which is awful to my ears). I still consider Symphony X more power than prog (but that's my appreciation).

For modern prog bands with a not-so OS approach I will quote:

Spastic Ink
Ark
Planet X

Hope I'm not disgressing here. :D

I still consider Symphony X more power than prog (but that's my appreciation).

I use their let's say "reputation." Symphony X to me is neoclassical as opposed to "prog." To me, SX took Yngwie to the next level. Not as far as solos, but rather the compositional thing. Romeo doesn't compare to Malmsteen, but in SX's defense none of Yngwie's 3,612,483 vocalists compare to Sir Russell Allen either, though JLT does come close. In fact, I still say on ballads Allen sounds a hell of a lot like Paul Rogers.

Bryant

Bryant said:
none of Yngwie's 3,612,483 vocalists compare to Sir Russell Allen either, though JLT does come close. In fact, I still say on ballads Allen sounds a hell of a lot like Paul Rogers.

Bryant
That's unnecesary to mention. Russell Allen quality as a vocalist get demostrated the moment the guy opens the mouth (pun intended). As for JLT was Yngwie worst singer IMO (and also Rainbow)...meaning I don't like the guy much, isn't it? :p

On a side note I like Mark Boals better with Malmsteen than solo, but I like more Doogie White with Rainbow than with Malmsteen. I guess sometimes a musician has a different shine depending of the environment.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Good Thread!

Mine are:

Solitude Aeturnus
You don't consider SA old school? Interesting, to me they are not only OS but a measurement in what Doom should be along with Candlemass, Solstice, Thunderstorm, Well Of Souls, etc.

In any case glad to see another fan :headbang:

Wyvern said:
You don't consider SA old school? Interesting, to me they are not only OS but a measurement in what Doom should be along with Candlemass, Solstice, Thunderstorm, Well Of Souls, etc.

In any case glad to see another fan :headbang:

I was really just listing the bands that I really enjoy that have started from 1990 on. If we go into what sounds Old School or not, then I'm afraid most of my list would have more than their fair share of OS leanings.

I just took the thread as, "Which newer bands kick your ass?" :Spin:

That is, if you consider 1990 or later "newer".

And as far as SA goes, it would probably be scary if I were to count how many times I have listened to TTDH. :headbang: :headbang:
They rule!

Tons of them... Stratovarius, Kotipelto, Hammerfall, In Flames - old and nu :p - , Shadows Fall, Vintersorg, Mob Rules, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Dream Evil, Iced Earth, Children of Bodom, Fear Factory, Evergrey, Arch Enemy, Halford, Rhapsody (except the new one), and some other I don't remember offhand.

Insania said:
I dig Solitude Aeturnus. They should be out with another CD here pretty soon...
John Perez told me they are in pre-recording process, writing songs and all that doom.

We all are waiting for the new SA album :headbang:

Wyvern said:
That's unnecesary to mention. Russell Allen quality as a vocalist get demostrated the moment the guy opens the mouth (pun intended). As for JLT was Yngwie worst singer IMO (and also Rainbow)...meaning I don't like the guy much, isn't it? :p

On a side note I like Mark Boals better with Malmsteen than solo, but I like more Doogie White with Rainbow than with Malmsteen. I guess sometimes a musician has a different shine depending of the environment.
Hmmmm... I'm not big on JLT with Rainbow either, but I thought "Odyssee" is the most "solid" release since Yngwie's debut. Speaking of former YM vocalists, I did like Mike Vescera though. Supposedly, his solo stuff is pretty good as well though I haven't heard it.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Hmmmm... I'm not big on JLT with Rainbow either, but I thought "Odyssee" is the most "solid" release since Yngwie's debut. Speaking of former YM vocalists, I did like Mike Vescera though. Supposedly, his solo stuff is pretty good as well though I haven't heard it.

Bryant
Hehehe, I didn't like Mike Vescera with Yngwie, I believe both albums (especially "Magnum Opus") are weak leaning to flaccid :lol: Then pick Roland Grapow - "Kaleidoscope" and in there the guy takes the same band Yngwie used (Vescera included) plus Ferdy Doenberg on keys, and the result? A brilliant album.
Again my theory regarding environment, Grapow took some musicians and got the best of them, Yngwie couldn't.