Favorite Releases of 2004?

RadicalTheory

Shazbot!
Dec 2, 2004
All right, it's gotten boring around here, so to liven things up, I thought I'd share with you my views on the releases I've come across this year, and I hope that you'd all do the same if you happen to feel like it.

This was a strange year for metal, for me anyway. A few really good releases, and a bunch of above-average stuff that probably wouldn't make my list is making my list, simply because there isn't that much *stuff* to go around.

So here it is:

EDIT: So now I've heard Skyfire, Ensiferum, and Cipher System. I give you my final top 10 list:

1. Mercenary - 11 Dreams. An utter classic, in every sense of the word. Melodic? Yes. Heavy? Yes. Emotional? Yes. Complex and atmospheric and intricate and all those wonderful little things that make you squeal with joy? Absolutely. Best CD I've heard since the last Katatonia album.

2. Orphaned Land - Mabool. Possibly the most unique thing I've heard in metal, and a unique story. Simply amazing stuff, from wonderful piano solos overlaid with heavy guitars to exotic middle-eastern instruments interwinding with the main melody, to a great dual-vocal style performance, this concept album is a winner.

3. Therion - Lemuria. So they released a double CD, and while I like Sirius B, the stuff on their first disc just defies all words. Heavy, hard, yet atmospheric and classical, this is the release I've been waiting for Therion to put out for years now. Outstanding tracks like Uthark Runa, both parts of The Three Ships of Berik, and the awesome title track make this a real winner. Great work on the vocals, and great work on making something heavy and loud without compromising your sound, Therion!

4. Persuader - Evolution Purgatory. Excellent Power-Thrash! Catchy as hell choruses highlight an outstanding musical experience, complete with heavy, shredding guitars and a spectacular vocal performance that isn't quite clean, but isn't quite growling. Highly recommended.

5. TOC - Loss Angeles. The Finns strike again, and this release is every bit as good as their previous effort, "Pervertigo." Combining a great quantity of rock and near-rock and even Jazz influences, while still not afraid to thrash like hell (Particularly the song Acid Highway, which I cannot stop playing), it's a great release if you can find it.

6. Skyfire - Spectral. Took me long enough to get this release, and I like it, though not as much as I liked TD or MR. The album has some brilliant parts to it, but I think it was a little light on the keyboards to make me totally satisfied with it, and maybe a little too heavy for the style, but certainly a very good release and on-par with the quality I expect from SKYFIRE! \m/

7. Cipher System - Central Tunnel Eight. OK, so they're not original, but they sure are pretty damn good at what they do. With a sound reminiscent of Dimension Zero, and some spectacular passages that will have you begging for more (Particularly on the song "24 Hours Left", which is one of the best on the album). If you like melodic death with some thrashy elements to it, pick this album up, because it's really, really well-done.

8. Finntroll - Nattfodd. I'm probably the only one here who liked Nattfodd more than Jakten's Tid, but even if you like their previous effort more, this is not an album to be counted out. Great Humpah/death/folk/whatever, that's great for some fun and blasting out of your car on a crowded street.

9. Imperanon - Stained. Bodom Clones or not, they have a unique enough sound, and for a debut album they showed a lot of poise and experimentation that lends great optimism for where their sound is headed.

10. Ensiferum - Iron. Well, their follow-up to their self-titled debut isn't quite as good, and their song titles can be slightly laughable, but that comes with the genre, and as Viking Metal goes, Ensiferum are some of the best! Great folk-metal anthems that will have you chanting "LAI LAI HEI!" from start to finish.

Biggest Disappointment:

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden. What the hell happened? I don't like their new vocalist, and since Matthew Barlow made that band for me, I guess this is it for them and me. It's a shame, because the concept EP that came with the CD was better than the CD itself.

I still have way more CDs to hear, but since I've been so carried away with school and a lack of funds, it's been tough. Hopefully this list will be much, much longer in a couple of weeks, come New Year's. Anyway, post your favorites, I guess.

-Radical Theory

I totally agree with you on Mercenary :headbang:
i will try hard to go to Munich in may for their show (since the brainstorm-tour doesn't take them to vienna :Smug: )
"Sharpen The Edges", "World Hate Center", "Supremacy v.2" are all monster songs - like almost all other tracks on 11 Dreams too

Divercia - Cycle Of Zero
i almost missed their new release, didn't even know about it - only by accident I learned about it (visited the website after some months again).
I don't care what others might say about their style and music, I sure like the new album a whole damn lot; much more than Modus Operandi, cos they turned heavier and harsher and simultaneously managed to become even more melodic and catchier :headbang: songs like Of Steel And Man, Cycle Of Zero, 7.62 , are for eternity :Spin:
ok, the video is little interesting ... but who cares about videos that were not thought out by the band but by somebody :p
(that's also a reason why i don't care much about videos because they seldom have something to do with the actual song itself. 'nice to have' but nothing more)

De Lirium's Order - Victim No. 52
woot! death thrash brutal finland - enough reasons to listen and headbang :p

HateSphere - Ballet Of The Brute
brilliant :D

Ancient Wisdom - Cometh Doom, Cometh Death
yet more orchestral and gloomier than "...And The Physical Shape Of Light Bled"

I admit that i havn't listened too much to Spectral yet

Ayreon - The Human Equation

Snap! This concept album is so fresh! It's got a pretty damn good story, and a wide set of varied-in-style singers and varied-in-style songs. Hawt.

Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor

Pretty wickedly awesome. Opethian at times, and at other times just batshit insane. The lyrics? A+.

Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt

It's like a hammer of extreme metal crushing my brain. Very catchy, almost hardcore influenced stuff. Wheeeeeeeee.

Ensiferum - Iron and Wintersun - Wintersun

Both really catchy up in this piece - same sort of crazy upbeat power/folk/death/black metal.

Finntroll - Nattfodd

Though not touching Jaktens Tid, I still enjoy Nattfodd quite a bit.

Fission - Crater

Some pretty good work by Vintersorg on here - only, you know, his 4th album of the year or so.

Golem - Dreamweaver

Some just generally sweet songs on here that you might miss under the pound of generic death metal.

Definitely agree about Mercenary and Divercia and Orphaned Land and Persuader. All great CDs.

Nightwish - Once

Wheeeeeee symphony!

Silent Force - Worlds Apart

Somewhere, somehow, this band got really spankin' good.

Demonoid - Riders Of The Apocalypse

Smashing my brain..over and over...in a pleasant way.

Therion - Sirius/Lemuria B

Soothing my brain...then smashing my brain...over and over...in a pleasant way.

and of course Spectral was a very whee progressive death metal CD.

Wish I had a copy of Reckoning Night to make my comments on - I've refrained from downloading it.

I dont really have time to say loads at the moment, so i'll just say my top 2...

Nocturnal Rites - New World Messiah

Nightwish - Once

Here are a few of mine, I may have forgotten some because I did not realize that they were released in '04, shit tends to blend together, heh.

Into Eternity - Buried In Oblivion
This band is one of the best today, simply put. They are traditional enough but also incredibly unique, and each song on this album offers up something different. They can even get away with putting breakdowns in their songs and not being tagged as a hardcore band! The musicianship on this record is ridiculous and the vocal arrangements are even more out of this world.

Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt
Good to see an American band perpetuating pure melodic death metal. I got the chance to see these guys live and they really rip.

Shadows Fall - The War Within
Shadows Fall seems to be doing a lot for heavy metal these days. They are able to placate metal, hardcore, and even rock fans alike. The influences blend well, and their latest record showcases it even better than the last one. Jonathan Donais is one of the most prominent shredders out there right now.

Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
These guys got a lot more metal for this release. Simply immaculate. Every song was well thought out and constructed. The seeming ode to Swedish melodic death metal, "Zombie Autopilot," is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time, no lie.

Vehemence - Helping The World To See
I'm not too big on brutal death metal, but this album rules.

God Forbid - Gone Forever
Some may call them metalcore but I just call them metal. Excellent guitar work, TOUGH riffs, and awesome vocalities propel this record to the top of the list.

I'm sure there's some that I missed.

By the way, Gadlor, Arsis is awesome, my band is playing with them in January.

Ayreon - The Human Equation, Dismember - Where Iron Crosses Grow, Bloodbath - Nightmares In Flesh, Exodus - Tempo of The Damned, Insision - Revealed And Worshipped, Vader - The Beast and The Haunted - Revolver were all pretty good albums. There hasn't really been any killer albums in 2004 though in my opinion.

@SpiritCrusherX: How's your band doing these days? I have a song called "A Tragedy Divine" on my desktop and I gotta say it really rules. Are you releasing anything more soon? I'd love to hear it.

Your list kicks ass SpiritCrusher! :headbang: Almost all of those names are gonna be on my top ten which I will post later today. If you liked Unearth, Shadows Fall, and God Forbid you should listen to All That Remains-This Darkened Heart. I'm sure it will make your list.:headbang:

@ Stefan: Thanks for the kind words dude. Actually, I posted a link to some new recorded material that we recently did in a topic in the Skyfire forum, but you can go to www.myspace.com/etherealcollapse to listen to two new songs, and "A Tragedy Divine" is also on there. We got our first EP (from which "Tragedy" is taken) pressed a few months back so it has a booklet and looks all nice now, haha. Our second EP just got recorded and is not pressed yet but it only features two new songs (both of which are on Myspace) and a re-recording of an old one. So, head on over there to check em out! Thanks for the support!

@ Iced: I actually love All That Remains, and I completely forgot about that record. I saw them with Shadows Fall and God Forbid back in April, and they're playing in my hometown next month so I'm definitely going out to that one. Definitely an ace band!

Here's my list!

10.Cradle of Filth-Nymphentamine
9. Nightwish-Once
8. It Dies Today-The Caitiff Choir
7. Into Eternity-Buried In Oblivion
6. Unearth-The Oncoming Storm
5. God Forbid-Gone Forever
4. Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden
3. Shadows Fall-The War Within
2. Insomnium-Since The Day It All Came Down
1. All That Remains-This Darkened Heart

disillusion- back to the times or splendor
bloodbath- nightmares made flesh
veneficum- enigma prognosis
amaran- pristine in bondage
dragonforce- sonic firestorm
skyfire- spectral

Skyfire - Spectral
Vader - The Beast
Disillusion - Back to the Times of Splendor
Dismember - Where Ironcrosses Grow
Evergrey - The Inner Circle
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
Death Angel - The Art of Dying
Dark Tranquillity - Exposures: In Retrospect and Denial
Arsis - Celebration of Guilt

Shit... Have I listened to no new black metal this year? Eh. Give me time, I'm forgetting stuff.

Took me long enough...just been busy as fuck lately. Anyway, here is a rough list.

Skyfire - Spectral
- Well fuck, its Skyfire. Expanding the sound once again with a more progressive touch. This album being a bit more riff heavy took some getting used to, but it has always remained in my rotation since the day it came out.

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
- Album of the fucking year. For me, never has a band come around that blew me away with such an original and technical approach to metal. These guys blend countless genres seemlessly and every song is memorable, which is no easy feat considering 3 of the songs clock in over 8 minutes, 2 over 10. Beautiful, heavy, fast, serene, I love it. Best album of the year for me.

- My first foray with IE and fuck these guys are amazing. Insane guitar work with amazing melodies and incredibly techinical and intricate songs. Not many people pull off power metal+death metal, but these guys are masters at what they do.

- Say what you will, but if you can sell 200k records and still write songs like "Those Who Cannot Speak" and "Eternity is Within" (the former being one of my favorite songs of the year) than all the fuckin power to em. Great fuckin album, better all around than TAOB in my opinion.

Lilitu - The Delores Lesion
- One of my favorite bands and their first signed record. Love it, listen to it non-stop. A more concise and to the point approach which is slightly dissapointing considering I love the epics on Memorial. Still every song is worth it and Derek has some of the most emotional vocals in metal today. Love these guys.

- Metalcore done right. Heavy on the metal and light on the core. Great song writers, great musicians, great melodies and actually well placed break downs. I still haven't stopped listening to it and I've had it since it came out. Metalcore usually doesnt appeal to me but these guys stand out.

- Evergrey's most emotional album IMO. The atmosphere in this album is astounding and has effected me like no other album this year (aside from maybe Disillusion). One of my favorite bands and they have yet to fail to impress me.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
- If anything this deserves a spot for the Gettysburg trilogy, a great piece of music and some of the best John has ever written. The album itself is a strong outting and I like Owens voice. Better that Horror Show overall. Gettysburg is the real standout though.

All that Remains -This Darkened Heart
- Metalcore? Maybe...I consider them more akin to thrash but yeah theres some core in there. Still, insanely catchy melodies with an incredibly aggressive vocal approach and very spiffy guitar work. Suprised me, very easy to listen to album.

- Dark Tranquillity never dissapoint and look at what the fuck you get. A whole live album (albeit kinda chopped up, though still fucking awesome) and a load of fuckin great b-sides and their first two demos which are still amazing to this day. Character will show up in my list come December 05' no doubt.

So yeah, no ones gonna read all that. Does make it easy to copy and paste to other boards tho :D

1. Centinex: Decadence- Prophecies of Cosmic Chaos
2. Wintersun: Wintersun
3. Unearth: The Oncoming Storm
4. Deathchain: Deadmeat Disciples
5. The Haunted: Revolver
6. Shade Empire: Sinthetic
7. Burden of Grief: Fields of Salvation
8. Insomnium: Since the Day It All Came Down
9. Finntroll: Nattfödd
10. Cipher System: Central Tunnel Eight

Damn, I haven't found the new Quo Vadis album anywhere :erk:

Yo Sean, where the hell have you been?

J.

Final_Vision said:
Took me long enough...just been busy as fuck lately. Anyway, here is a rough list.

Skyfire - Spectral
- Well fuck, its Skyfire. Expanding the sound once again with a more progressive touch. This album being a bit more riff heavy took some getting used to, but it has always remained in my rotation since the day it came out.

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
- Album of the fucking year. For me, never has a band come around that blew me away with such an original and technical approach to metal. These guys blend countless genres seemlessly and every song is memorable, which is no easy feat considering 3 of the songs clock in over 8 minutes, 2 over 10. Beautiful, heavy, fast, serene, I love it. Best album of the year for me.

- My first foray with IE and fuck these guys are amazing. Insane guitar work with amazing melodies and incredibly techinical and intricate songs. Not many people pull off power metal+death metal, but these guys are masters at what they do.

- Say what you will, but if you can sell 200k records and still write songs like "Those Who Cannot Speak" and "Eternity is Within" (the former being one of my favorite songs of the year) than all the fuckin power to em. Great fuckin album, better all around than TAOB in my opinion.

Lilitu - The Delores Lesion
- One of my favorite bands and their first signed record. Love it, listen to it non-stop. A more concise and to the point approach which is slightly dissapointing considering I love the epics on Memorial. Still every song is worth it and Derek has some of the most emotional vocals in metal today. Love these guys.

- Metalcore done right. Heavy on the metal and light on the core. Great song writers, great musicians, great melodies and actually well placed break downs. I still haven't stopped listening to it and I've had it since it came out. Metalcore usually doesnt appeal to me but these guys stand out.

- Evergrey's most emotional album IMO. The atmosphere in this album is astounding and has effected me like no other album this year (aside from maybe Disillusion). One of my favorite bands and they have yet to fail to impress me.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
- If anything this deserves a spot for the Gettysburg trilogy, a great piece of music and some of the best John has ever written. The album itself is a strong outting and I like Owens voice. Better that Horror Show overall. Gettysburg is the real standout though.

All that Remains -This Darkened Heart
- Metalcore? Maybe...I consider them more akin to thrash but yeah theres some core in there. Still, insanely catchy melodies with an incredibly aggressive vocal approach and very spiffy guitar work. Suprised me, very easy to listen to album.

- Dark Tranquillity never dissapoint and look at what the fuck you get. A whole live album (albeit kinda chopped up, though still fucking awesome) and a load of fuckin great b-sides and their first two demos which are still amazing to this day. Character will show up in my list come December 05' no doubt.

So yeah, no ones gonna read all that. Does make it easy to copy and paste to other boards tho :D