Favourite 5 Bassists

FerretallicA

HMAS Slagdestroyer
Mar 23, 2005
Sydney, Australia
We've done drummers and guitarists so this simply had to be done.

1. Billy Sheehan (Roth, Vai, Bozzio Sheehan, etc etc etc)
2. John Myung (Dream Theater)
3. Derek Blakley (Haji's Kitchen)
4. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment)
5. Franck Hermanny (Adagio)

Bill Dickens, Stu Hamm and Rufus Philpot would also probably be up there somewhere if I had the chance to hear more of their material but it's just too fucking hard to find.

...while I'm at it I'll also add my pick for the most overrated bassists of all time.

1. Cliff Burton (Metallica)
2. Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
3. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Not to say that these guys are bad at all... but they get the same kind of overzealous boner worship as people like Hendrix, Cobain and Morello. If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard "but listen to Anesthesia man! Best bass solo ever" I'd probably be typing this from a solid gold mansion hidden away on my own tropical island.

...while I'm at it I'll also add my pick for the most overrated bassists of all time.

1. Cliff Burton (Metallica)
2. Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
3. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Not to say that these guys are bad at all... but they get the same kind of overzealous boner worship as people like Hendrix, Cobain and Morello. If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard "but listen to Anesthesia man! Best bass solo ever" I'd probably be typing this from a solid gold mansion hidden away on my own tropical island.

And thats where you fail . Also im very surprised that the Dream Theater member didnt get Number 1 spot as usual in the top muso list .

Favourite 5
1. Martin Mendez (opeth)
2. Robert Trujillo (Suicidal Tendencies / IG era stuff)
3. Michael Mckeegan (Therapy?)
4. Tal Wilkenfeld
5. Ryan Martinie (mudvayne)

Top 5
1. Larry Graham (Graham Central Station among others)
2.Tal Wilkenfeld
3. Geddy Lee (Rush)
4. Victor Wooten (yes i know it's crime he's number 4)
5. John Entwistle (the who)

1. Corey Eves
2. Nathaniel Smith
3. The dude from BRAINSTORM
4. The Dude from SENTENCED (R.I.P)
5. Lee (LYCANTHIA)

Coming in at number 26354627363546 i must mention is Mr Chris Griffin.
I LOL'D!

famguychris_noGuitar_05_72.jpg

In no order.

Chuck Schuldiner
Steve Harris (not for his bass playing specifically, but for "favourite person in a band" who also plays bass.
Pete Steele (for his lyrics and songwriting mostly though)

Everyone else can fuck off.

I've been listening to a whole bunch of early Fates Warning at Mr Linfoot's prompting and, on the back of "Perfect Symmetry", am inspired to update my list of favourite bassists.

2. John Arch (Fates Warning, Spock's Beard)
3. John Myung (Dream Theater)
4. Derek Blakley (Haji's Kitchen)
5. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment)

I've been listening to a whole bunch of early Fates Warning at Mr Linfoot's prompting and, on the back of "Perfect Symmetry", am inspired to update my list of favourite bassists.

2. John Arch (Fates Warning, Spock's Beard)
3. John Myung (Dream Theater)
4. Derek Blakley (Haji's Kitchen)
5. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment)
Yep that Arch is quite a bassist and his stint in Spocks Beard was legendary :lol:

Ron McGovney is a cunt lolz.

So Mike, every Metallica fanboy's ordered bass players (reversed) plus probably the only virtuoso that any Metallica forum has ever talked about. Interesting list.

1. Billy Sheehan
2. John Myung
3. Chris Squire
4. Tony Levin
5. Steve Harris