Favourite 5 Bassists

In no order...

John Myung (Dream Theater)
Sam Rivers (Limp Bizkit)
Billy Sheehan (Solo, Vai, etc)
Rufus Philpot (Planet X, Virgil Donati, etc)
Felipe Andreoli (Angra)

I could mention 5-10 more but these are the first ones that popped into my head (probably because of music I've been listening to lately)

A couple of days ago I thought it was about time to finally join the forum, and what better way to start my ranting than listing my first insallment of favourite bass players (there is really sooo many to choose from). Anyway, here it goes:
1.) Stevie Wonder's left hand
2.) Joe Zawinul's left hand (Weather Report, Miles Davis, Zawinul Syndicate)
3.) Glenn Gould's left hand (Hannibal Lector's favourite piano player)
4.) Dr. John's left hand
5.) Billy Joel's left hand/Elton John's left hand

A couple of days ago I thought it was about time to finally join the forum, and what better way to start my ranting than listing my first insallment of favourite bass players (there is really sooo many to choose from). Anyway, here it goes:
4.) Dr. John's left hand

NERD!

4.) Dr. John's left hand

Surely if your mentioning Joe Zawinul and citing weather report, Jaco must get a run. Fair enough the man was from all reports 10 feet up himself but how many other bass players before him played like he did.

1. Carl Cadden-James (Shadow Gallery)
2. Sami Hinkka (Ensiferum)
3. Marco Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot, Sinergy)
4. Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
5. John Paul Jones (Led Zep)

Admittedly, i dont pay much focus to bass in music i listen too :erk:

Surely if your mentioning Joe Zawinul and citing weather report, Jaco must get a run. Fair enough the man was from all reports 10 feet up himself but how many other bass players before him played like he did.

No way man, how many bass players play the way they do now because of Joe Zawinul?!!!:lol:

Jaco's the man :worship:, but I was leaving him for an upcoming installment. Definitly my favourite bass player of all time. His influence is pretty much unavoidable. As for being really arrogant, I think Joe Zawinul beats him on that one (or then again, maybe he's just really confident of his contribution to 20th Century music). Admittedly, Joe is a genius and one of the greatest composers of the modern era ("I ain't afraid of no one, not even Beethoven" - Joe Zawinul). There are some interesting stories about the conflicts in Weather Report during the Jaco era. One of the things that used to piss Jaco off was that Joe was prone to doubling Jaco's bass parts with left hand keyboards. Or, that Joe would write out the bass parts for Jaco to play along with his left hand keyboards (even the song Teen Town is doubled with left hand keyboards). But all that aside, like Joe used to say, they were "the greatest fucking band in the world" and "Weather Report are in a league of their own".