Favourite distortion

If i had to choose between Deliverance, Ghost Reveries and Watersehed I'd say GR
I find the guitar tone of GR and WS not at all similar and I don't hear much death metal on Watershed anyway as someone else mentioned. I find the guitar sound somewhat watered down and not as upfront as on GR.
Ecxept for Heir Aparrent and parts of Lotus Eater there's not much heaviness on Watershed as a whole which I feel is a step backwards for Opeth, yet I can understand why many like the new one.
It's just the first time that I am not overly exited about a new Opeth release and that is a huge letdown, if you compare it to most of the other stuff.
The distortion on Blackwater Park is sweet, probably the best!

A step backwards? It's a new direction. How can it possibly be "a step backwards"?:erk: They've never gone here before. A step backwards would be like making another Orchid, or Morningrise, or any other one of their albums.

By the way, I'd have to say BWP or GR...:)

A step backwards? It's a new direction. How can it possibly be "a step backwards"?:erk: They've never gone here before. A step backwards would be like making another Orchid, or Morningrise, or any other one of their albums.

In a normative sense, a new direction can be a step backwards. Of course, he'd need to form an opinion on which way is forward, but that's implied in the statement. Unless you really believe that if Opeth started covering Fred Durst songs it would be a step forward?

In a normative sense, a new direction can be a step backwards. Of course, he'd need to form an opinion on which way is forward, but that's implied in the statement. Unless you really believe that if Opeth started covering Fred Durst songs it would be a step forward?

In that sense it would be a step backwards because of the lack of quality. Opeth is of the highest quality music and I think (my opinion) that the quality is ever increasing. But not being as heavy as the last albums isn't necessarilly a step backwards. Fred Durst...that's a step off a cliff!

The overall sound of Watershed is definitely my favourite Opeth sound. BWP is second; though I would prefer it if it weren't so overcompressed, and didn't clip extensively.

Also SW (as far as I know) had no input on the distorted tone of Deliverance... most of it had already been recorded when SW turned up to help.