Favourite Guitar tone on an Anthrax album

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Was listening to SOWN the other day and it dawned on me just how fuzzy and distorted the guitar and even whole mix is on that album which I kinda love. Compare that to the Panterish mix on Vol 8 to the high tune on STD it got me thinking which tone/mix on an Anthrax album do I prefer the most.

I really liked SOWN's fuzziness in places and I do dig POT overall mix. I didn't like Vol 8's mix as much (great album but the sound wasn't Thrax to me). WCFYA was very good too.

So what do you guys prefer?

To be honest, I like the guitar tones on Alive 2 !!!

As for studio albums, Stomp 442 is awesome and ATL still hits the spot for me as well.

Worst guitar tone ........... Seventh Son, oh wait that was all keyboards :)

I definitely agree with SOWN. I heard he recorded 6 rhythm tracks per song for that album.

WCFYA would be in second for its heaviness

ThraxSA said:
To be honest, I like the guitar tones on Alive 2 !!!

As for studio albums, Stomp 442 is awesome and ATL still hits the spot for me as well.

Worst guitar tone ........... Seventh Son, oh wait that was all keyboards :)

HAHAHA... there it is again. The 1st of 2006 - your first dig at me :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Stomp was great too.

Actually I listened to MMD and Alive 2 and compared the mix. MMD has too much click in the drum and bass for me whereas Alive 2 was a much better more even mix for me.

I only wished Euphoria was louder. That album is so loooooooooow on the volume scale for me. It feels slightly underdone. Great album though.

aliasp said:
HAHAHA... there it is again. The 1st of 2006 - your first dig at me :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Stomp was great too.

Actually I listened to MMD and Alive 2 and compared the mix. MMD has too much click in the drum and bass for me whereas Alive 2 was a much better more even mix for me.

I only wished Euphoria was louder. That album is so loooooooooow on the volume scale for me. It feels slightly underdone. Great album though.

Yer, I agree with you on that one. Their is one part of the DVD where Joey is playing around and starts a couple of lines from Number of the Beast, followed by a very short riff from Dan - man, that guitar sounds sweet !!!!!

stomp 442 and wcfya,i hate the guitar sound on sown,scott has even stated he was unhappy with how it turned out,nice idea to record rythm 6 to 8 times but i think the guitars siound so wishy washy,sometimes less is def alot more.

yeah my fave tones are probably on the greater of two evils as well, just love how chunky those guitars sound......so beefy..

thraxx said:
TGOTE'S .... NEED I SAY MORE!

Yes, you do.

Among the Living, the guitar tone CRUSHES, and is pretty much the best guitar sound on any of "the big fours" classic thrash albums.

regarding SOWN, I believe all the extra guitars recorded might have been originally the idea of producing Dave Jerden. If you listen to the production on the two social distortion albums he did, there's a lot of guitars.

Overall, albumwise, POT and Among are my faves. The palm mutes could cut 10 foot thick steel. Everytime I hear it, I go AAARRGGHH!!! I was one of those that cocked an eyebrow with SOWN came out, and just about every album since (for me) the guitars lacked that palm muted heaviness. Dont get me wrong, I really like those albums, but the tone was well, thicker, more mids, but I really dug the "older" sound. Live, however, its all heavy as fuck, and generally that is where it counts.