Favourite lyric writers

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is something which hasn't really come up before. Who do you think writes the best lyrics?!?

Personally I don't give a rats ballsack about the meaning of the songs. I like lyrics which tell a story, or paint an image with the words, or are fun and sleazy, and it depends how the lines are written. Some people like Dio can just write these lines which sound amazing.

So here are some of my favourites:

Ronnie James Dio
Definitely the best. Every line he writes just sounds so awesome! I can't explain what it is, it might also be the way he delivers the lines... but they just sound so poetic and nicely crafted lol.

Vinnie Vincent
You knew I'd mention him didn't you :D Nah but his lyrics rule. The sleaziest metal lyrics ever, but he stays clear of the cliches about red lips and fingertips and shake your hips type thing lol. It's stuff like:

- "Come drink from the well of desire and greed, angelic creaion queen of my dreams, with passion and fire gonna plant that seed, where ectsacy explodes in a silent scream"
- "Ride the wild pony cried the stallion in heat, Assassin with a silken touch she's one killer elite, Sleek as a panther, but the pussy is sweet, Make you howl in hormonal defeat"
- "Tie me up, punish me please, Make me beg on my hands and knees, I'll be your slave, serve all your needs, A helpless minx to torment and tease"

Jon Bon Jovi
I think he's a great storyteller with his lyrics. Especially in songs like Blood On Blood, Blaze Of Glory, Never Say Goodbye, Bed Of Roses, Wanted Dead Or Alive, etc. Also he can really write some heart melting words in his ballads to get all the ladies haha, especially in "Always" and "I'll Be There For You".

Alice Cooper
Everything he does is fantastic. I love the twisted feel in alot of his lyrics, especially in his '70s stuff... I love the concept of From The Inside and I think that has great lyrics... when he did his "weird" stuff in the early '80s I didn't like the style much but the whacko lyrics are cool haha... and when he did his metal stuff it was all excellent nasty attitude sleaze lyrics or great rebellious teen lyrics... he's just great!

Nikki Sixx
I just love the way his lyrics paint such a vivid picture of Hollywood in the '80s. I think it was Crue's ability to capture that lifestyle which made them more popular and timeless than the million other hair bands from that era. The lyrics on the early albums just drip with attitude, on Dr Feelgood he has the sleaze down perfectly, and then there are songs like Home Sweet Home and You're All I Need which I think have really powerful lyrics.

Lyrics writers I think suck? Well.. as much as I love Ratt, Stephen Pearcy is terrible. I don't even know what the hell he's writing about some of the time, it sounds like he just sticks together various lines from the book of "80s rock lyrics" whether they go together or not.

I also think Jani Lane's lyrics were undescribably terrible on the first Warrant album. Songs like "Down Boys", "32 Pennies" and "Heaven" just have terrible words. I don't even know what the first 2 are meant to be about, and "Heaven" makes you wonder whether he's singing about a girlfriend or daughter. Luckily his lyrics improved alot on the Cherry Pie album.

All the lyrics on the Slang album by Def Leppard are amazing, its a shame they went back to "Boy meets girl" stuff. Slang has some of the best lyrics ever.

James Hetfield writes some brilliant stuff too.

Alice Cooper because he always has a sense of humour underlying everything, he is sort of a social commentator and does a very good job on matching the lyrics with the time they are done (if you see what I mean)

Rob Halford has done some AWESOME lyrics and some crap ones, but Before The Dawn and Touch Of Evil are some of the best ever. Rock on Rob. Rock on.

Mille from Kreator writes some really good ones, especially deep and thought provoking.

Tom and Jeff from Slayer, Tom is the better, but Jeff has written some great ones also.

Brucies solo stuff has brilliant lyrics for the most part, the newer it is, the better the lyrics.

Chucks lyrics on The Gathering are brilliant (the Testament cd I mean).

Eric Petersons lyrics for the Dragonlord cd are also really good, even though I dont listen to it much.

I think I like some of Bruce's stuff the best. Is very well crafted, and very thought provoking which I like.

Of cause Ronnie gets a mention, after all, he worte one of the best songs of all time, 'Heaven And Hell'. :headbang:

Jon Schaffer, much like Steve Harris, can come up with some of the most amazing shit, and some really bad stuff that has potential but doesn't gel. On a good day though, both those guys rule.

James Hetfield comes out with some awesome stuff also, and some of Blaze's stuff is great, especially on 'The Tenth Dimension', there are some very awesome flowing lyrics.

Roger Waters!
I turned to look, but it was gone,
I can not put my finger on it now,
The child is grown, the dream is gone,
and I have become comfortably numb.

Mustaine, Chuck, Alice, Mike Muir (Suicidal Tendencies) and Midnight Oil (whoever writes them) are my favs.

Yeah I just found out about that an hour ago, and almost bloody cried. I'll never see the Oils again, and never see them do Dreamworld or Kosciusko. Sometimes life is a cunt.