Favourite Power Metal Albums / Demos 2002

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hello everyone,

I'm just curious if anyone is composing their personal top 10 lists already or just interested in sharing some of their fave prog/power/traditional albums of the last 12 months?! Could double up as a cool recommendation thread too. :D

For me, I thought the following were good standouts (in no order):

Shaman - Ritual
I actually think this is better than some of the old Angra stuff. Sascha Paeth and Miro add their magic touch too.

Nocturnal Rites - Shadowland
Almost a step back to Sacred Talisman (which is a good thing), but maintaining that new harder and tighter edge.

Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
Nice way to conclude the Emerald Sword saga, and their darkest album yet. The 20 minuter, Gargoyles, is just epic.

Blind Guardian - Night at the Opera
Could be the album of the year for me. Almost each song is a work of art.

I've probably forgotten a couple others, but I'm sure you'll remind me. :)

Oh and I haven't heard the PQ CD yet, although I can imagine it'll be up there somewhere before year end...

Cheers.

JK.

JayKeeley...picked a few of my faves there.....A Night At The Opera is definitely my album of the year .Power of the Dragonflame is up there too :) Agree with you re Shadowland too.

Others on my list would be:-

Mob Rules - Hollowed Be Thy Name....title track is totally awesome!!

Threshold - Critical Mass......a prog metal masterpiece!

Freedom Call - Eternity......A hail to the metal invasion!!

Power Quest - Wings of Forever...need I say more!

BTW What do you think of the new White Skull album? Personally I like it but I know a few of the board regulars want Federica back!!

Cheers

Dragon Maiden

Originally posted by dragonmaiden

BTW What do you think of the new White Skull album? Personally I like it but I know a few of the board regulars want Federica back!!

It's interesting because I think the new singer is great, but the music has lost it's slightly brighter neo-classical edge that they had in Tales from the North, which is my fave.

And "Sister" De Boni certainly had those 'unique' vocals didn't she?! :) I think she added to the band and made them stand out a little from the crowd, just because she sounded so animated! I wonder where she'll pop up next?

By the way, I've got Mob Rules on order. I really like Threshold so I'll probably get their new one too - they were cool at ProgPower. I'm still debating the new Freedom Call however, I heard a lot of people say it was their least fave FC album....?

Eternity V Crystal Empire....tricky. I think Crystal Empire is a more consistent album but you can't argue with catchy tracks like "Land of the Light" on Eternity....big nod to Europe on that one i think!

Best albums of 2002 for me

Avantasia part II
Threshold - Critical Mass
Freedom Call - Eternity

Can't remember if these were 2001 or 2002

Silent Force - Infatuator
Dream Theater - 6 degrees......

Here's my top ten in no particular order:

Mob Rules - Hollowed Be Thy Name
Messiah's Kiss - Prayer For The Dying
Powerquest - Wings Of Forever
White Skull - The Dark Age
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Paragon - Law Of The Blade
Falconer - Chapters From A Vale Forlorn
Freedom Call - Eternity
Blind Guardian - Night At The Opera
Sinergy - Suicide By My Side

No Surprises here!

heres my top ten list in no partivular order

rhapsody - power of the dragonflame
sonata arctica - songs of silence live in tokyo(live album but better than all other SA record in my opinion
freedom call - the eternity
avantasia - the metal opera part two
lost horizon - a flame to the groud beneath
lucca turilli - prophet of the last eclipse
nightwish - century child (not sure if its in 2002)
persuader - the hunter
sagga - planetude

so that were my top choice for this year :p

Cool lists! Although I'm unfamiliar with some of the bands:

Messiah's Kiss
Paragon
Sagga

What are they like?

And pits....you have the new Lost Horizon already!!?? :eek: How did you manage that....?!

@Symphony: "Land of the Light" on Eternity....big nod to Europe on that one i think

That doesn't sound too bad! :) Kee Marcello and John Norum rule. People always remember Europe for that song, but they were worthy of so much more attention in their earlier albums I think.

@JayKeeley yeah i have the new lost horizon :pP first im able to receive a cd before it come out pretty proud of it but..... if you eant i can put on my pc and send it to you if you are interested just tell me
and for Sagga they are im really not good of telling kind of music a band plya but i would say speed power probably you should chek them out pretty sure you would like it it kind of soud like sonata arctica
cheers

Originally posted by pits
@JayKeeley yeah i have the new lost horizon :pP first im able to receive a cd before it come out pretty proud of it but..... if you eant i can put on my pc and send it to you if you are interested just tell me

Oh pits, my buddy!! I am not worthy...:worship:

If you could do that, I would be sooo happy. Awakening the World is one of the best CD's I have in my 300 CD collection.

I'll send you a private message with my e-mail address. Check your Inbox!

Hey, if it's easier, you could always burn me a CD-R if possible? I am happy to send you my collection list if you want something in return, just let me know.

Oh man, PowerQuest AND the new Lost Horizon. What an xmas season this will be.

Oh, and for the record, I ALWAYS buy the official CD when it comes out to help support the band. That is my promise to all bands that I like.

Top 10 for 2002...

1. Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
2. Sentenced - The Cold White Light
3. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Threshold - Crirtical Mass
5. Lake of Tears - The Neonai
6. Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
7. Star One - Space Metal
8. Avantasia pt 2
9. Tunnelvision - Tomorrow
10. Divercia - Modus Operandi

damn....so many good albums were released this year...in addition to those already mentioned....Freedom Call, Shaman, Rhapsody, Thy Majestie, Symphony X, Dionysus, Kalmah....and of course Power Quest, although I don't have it yet (please don't kill me :D )

i would be my pleasure to burn it to you on a cd-r just send me your coordonate ( dont know how to say that i mean your addresse and stuff like that) and ill mail it as soon as possible! cheers

Mine are:

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
PowerQuest - Wings Of Forever

Overlook the fact these were the only power metal album I bought this year :lol: but they all fucking rule

Soddit, can I be doubley cheeky and ask for a copy too? You can have free reign on my collection if you think there'd be anything of interest in there ^_^;;;

Best albums 2002 :

1. Pagans Mind - Celestial Entrance (a masterpiece!)
2. Freedom Call - Eternity
3. Blind Guardian - A night at the Opera
4. Shaman - Ritual
5. Angra - Rebirth

Best newcomer : Power Quest - Wings of Forever

Alot of great releases! I've probably forgotten to mention alot of them..hehe..

NP: Dark Moor - Starsmaker

Originally posted by pits
i would be my pleasure to burn it to you on a cd-r just send me your coordonate ( dont know how to say that i mean your addresse and stuff like that) and ill mail it as soon as possible! cheers

et voila! :)