Favourite prog/ power metal albums and production

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
We seem to talk alot about thrash, (melo)death and general modern metal bands (probably because Andy works with many of them), so I thought it would be fun for us prog/ power nerds to discuss our favourite albums and production. I've been meaning to make this for a few days now.
For me, it is impossible to go past Evergrey's In Search of Truth. My favourite album of all time (listening to it now) writing wise, and while not being the biggest, or most perfect sounding album, everything on it jels so well and gives a huge atmosphere to the album. From the way the keys sit, to the fluffy bass and the verb. It is prefect.

In the last few months I've picked up Firewind's Allegiance and Machine Men's Circus of Fools, both which have great, "big" production. Probably some of the most modern, non standard prog/ power production on such a release. I think it worked for Firewind, and would have for Machine Men were it not for the copious amounts of clipping.

Two of my biggest production dissapointments in recent years would have to be Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. Dark Saga and Imaginations From the Other Side were on the right track, yet the most recent albums seem to have such extensive layering that it makes the music seem smaller.

Well, that's enough of a rant from me.

Your turn.

I agree about the last few Blind guardians being too layered, still it makes it interesting seeing them live as u know it wont sound exactly like the cd:)
I like production on pretty much all Iced Earth albums, probably Something wicked... best.
Looking forward to new symphony x, thought The Odyssey sounded excelllent.
Dream theatre albums usually have a nice drum sound but guitar tone usually aint too hot.
Production on new Threshold is really good i think (that tone cant be line 6!, which they've always played live when i've seen em) , good on all their stuff i've heard actually.
Both Lost horizon albums have very good mix i think, v clinical but suits it i think.
Obviously the nordstrom stuff eg Dream evil, firewind etc sound great (especially dragonslayer).
Last dragonland album sounded really good as well (astronomy or something?), real heavy guitars.:headbang:

Masterplan - Aeronautics, has one of the best productions ever IMO. Avantasia pt2 is also great. I find AINA very charming but not as modern or clean sounding as many of todays productions...

+1 for the search of truth... i can't believe the atmosphere on that album. on the live dvd as well... it makes me hair stand up :)

For me:

Everygrey - Recreation Day (still my fav. by them)

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe (may not sound uber thick or huge, but its clarity is what makes everything shine.

Dream Theater - Images and Words (I may be the only one who misses Mike's snare that sounds like a smack recorded in a hallway, and his triggered kit)

Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter

Liquid Tension Experiment 2

Planet X - Quantum (it may be their new one, but the production is stellar)

I like the sound of Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth.

I do prefer it to the production on A twist in the myth, I'd say it's about on par with A night at the opera. I just got too use to "Imaginations" being my first BG album.
I do agree though that the layered production makes the songs an experiance live though. Excpet for maybe ATITM, that needed better production, but isn't as enjoyable live as on CD in relation to the enjoyment of the other album tracks played live.

I like production on pretty much all Iced Earth albums, probably Something wicked... best.

Dream theatre albums usually have a nice drum sound but guitar tone usually aint too hot.

I didn't mind the sound on Somthing Wicked, a bit boxy though. Horror show was about right, clear and powerfull without going overboard. Apparently the new album sounds like shit, sonically.

I like the older DT sound, especially on Awake. The natural kit sound on their late 90's releases really ddin't sit well with me.

Oh Maiden, that reminds me- I loved Brave New World. Best album of their career along side Number of the Beast! Great, epic tracks and the right amount of production/ layering without going too far. It was the one album where Maiden tried to move out of the 80's and it worked IMO.