Favourite Vocalists

Revell

Mother Puncher
Aug 17, 2008
New Zealand
Who're yours?

Personally I'd have to say Puppets/Justice era Hetfield, Mr Drake (EtG and IF), Matt Pike, Ozzy, Troy Sanders, Phil Anselmo, Max Cavalera, Maynard James Keenan, Dave Mustaine and Lemmy. That should do it for now.

Not gonna bother making a poll as the list would be too big.

Discuss!

Bruce Dickinson will always be my favourite vocalist... he just has the most awesome voice. Back in the day he had those incredible high-notes (without sounding like a cartoon witch like Rob Halford). His voice on the Beast Over Hammersmith live gig from 1982 is just sublime.

Other favourites are Ozzy, Lemmy and Papa Het. But apart from the obvious ones Russ Anderson from Forbidden also has incredible range, his low stuff is aggressive and raspy and his high notes soaring and beautiful. Likewise David Godfrey White from Heathen. Mille Petrozza from Kreator has an awesome aggressive thing going on too, complemented wonderfully by his German accent. And I love Serj Tankian's voice too, totally unique. As for female vocalists (and generally I'm not really a fan of female vocals much) Skin from Skunk Anansie has an incredible voice, a great mix of subtlety and power. There are others too... I'll probably come back when I think of them :)

2 posts about vocalists and no :worship:DIO!!!!! for shame!!!!

old hetfield, anselmo, ozzy, lemmy, really like matts voice, mustaine and i like how much Araya sounds like a nutcase!

Oh fuck me, how could I forget Bruce and Dio!! Bruce's voice is stunning, none like it. Can't forget Dio either. Spot on with Mille. Serj is another instantly recognizable voice, very awesome.

Dickinson, Mustaine, Petrozza, Hansi Kuersch, Freddie Mercury, Geddy Lee, Phil Lynott, Chuck Billy (to whom I have not listened in a criminally long time) Tarja Turunen, and I just got into Ensiferum so I might be jumping the gun here: Petri Lindroos.

Andrea Bocelli

I would listen to his voice alone with out any musical back up, that to me is a great singer however I will list some of my favourite Rock singers

Nick Barnes - Paradise Lost
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Vincent Cavanagh -Anathema
Ozzy - Black Sabbath
Joey Belladonna - Anthrax
Tom Ayara - SLAYER
Jonas Renkse - Katatonia

I see you have picked Tarja Turunen, Zehm, good choice, I had a secret passion for Nightwish when she was in the band, I still do

I haven't picked Matt for the reason that he has still to find his voice so to speak, once he is settled with whichever singing style he chooses thats when I will be able to gauge wether he has the voice that matches the greats that we all know, he can do it and I know he will

Who're yours?

Personally I'd have to say Puppets/Justice era Hetfield, Mr Drake (EtG and IF), Matt Pike, Ozzy, Troy Sanders, Phil Anselmo, Max Cavalera, Keenan, Dave Mustaine and Lemmy. That should do it for now.

Not gonna bother making a poll as the list would be too big.

Discuss!

Why thank you! :p

Lemme see......

Matt Drake, James Hetfield, Chuck Schuldiner, Joey Belladonna, Bruce Dickinson, Ozzy Osbourne, James LaBrie, Mikeal Akerfeldt, Rany Blythe, and Paul Masvidal in no particular order. :D

Aaron Stainthorpe
Janne ''JB'' Christoffersson
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Lee Dorrian
Bruce Dickinson
Ihsahn
Dan Swanö
Wojciech "Sauron"/"Pig" Wąsowicz
Rob Halford
James Hetfield (...And Justice For All especially)

I see you have picked Tarja Turunen, Zehm, good choice, I had a secret passion for Nightwish when she was in the band, I still do

hell yeah. one of my favorites, and not just for Tarja. I 'm sure I learned more about how to "inflect" a melody from Emppu (the guitarist) than I'm even aware of. for those who haven't heard it. listen to his solos in "high hopes" on the "end of an era" dvd. pure magic.

Justice-era Hetfield is perfection. Pepper Keenan, Phil Anselmo, Joe Duplantier, Dave Grohl, Tom Araya, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Troy Sanders, Freddie Mercury, Chuck Billy, Maynard Keenan and Mr Drake are som of my favourite vocalists. Im sure I've forgotten loads

Ronnie Dio, Paul Rodgers, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Phil Anselmo. Max Cavalera, Sir James of Hetfield, Neil Fallon (Clutch), Tim Ripper Owens, King Diamond, Pepper Keenan and Lemmy.

The usual suspects: James Hetfield, Bruce Dickinson, Phil Anselmo, Dave Mustaine, Matt Drake, Max Cavalera, Layne Staley

Less famous ones: Philly Byrne (Gama Bomb), Mark 'Barney' Greenway (Napalm Death, Benediction), Johnny Morrow (Iron Monkey), Kevin Sharp (Brutal Truth, Venomous Concept) amongst many others