Female fronted bands I've just gotten into...

PatrickHoyt

The Darkitecht
Jun 3, 2007
Daytona, Florida
yeah I suppose I'm not too educated on female fronted acts but since the announcement about DSO getting signed to ascendance records I just got the urge to check out some of these acts and two that really stick out on first random single song listen as "ear-catchers" are To-Mera and Ascendance Records' own Ebony Ark.

To me Ebony Ark has a nice overall balance of ambience to their sound, though I'd have to say I prefer To-Mera overall because of that awesome thrashy and technical sound they have incorporated into their music with those random moments of down tempo, jazzy breaks (ex. Glory of a New Day)

Wouldn't mind seeing these acts at any future progpowerusa related performance.

anyone else have any opinions or female fronted acts that catch your attention for any particular reasons?

I bought an Ebony Ark album at ProgPower last year. I'm not impressed. Especially with the vocalist. I think To-Mera is boring. By all logic I SHOULD like To-Mera, but I just can't get into them. :(

I'd like to see Edenbridge at ProgPower sometime. Though I'm not overly-impressed with their earlier albums, their recent output is pretty darned good.

I'd also like to see Brave play ProgPower. Michelle has a fantastic, powerful voice, and the use of the violin in their music is executed nicely. The violin melodies entertwine and flow in and out of the music in a captivating way. It's a wonderful accent to all the other talented musicians in the band.

I bought an Ebony Ark album at ProgPower last year. I'm not impressed. Especially with the vocalist. I think To-Mera is boring. By all logic I SHOULD like To-Mera, but I just can't get into them. :(

I'd like to see Edenbridge at ProgPower sometime. Though I'm not overly-impressed with their earlier albums, their recent output is pretty darned good.

I'd also like to see Brave play ProgPower. Michelle has a fantastic, powerful voice, and the use of the violin in their music is executed nicely. The violin melodies entertwine and flow in and out of the music in a captivating way. It's a wonderful accent to all the other talented musicians in the band.
EDENBRIDGE! Hail! Another band we agree on! I have ALL their CDs! I worship Sabine Edelsbacher as a frontwoman and as a tremendous vocal talent!:worship:rock::kickass:

Little Bro Patrick, i like your taste, EBONY ARK, really floored me with their latest Disc. Here are some more to check out:

A NEW DAWN - Double female fronted from the Netherlands

AETHERIUS - they will be playing NMFII and are fronted by the unbelievable OLIVIA BERKA

AMBREIAN DAWN - From Finland exceptional

MEMORIA - need I say more

SILENCED WITHIN- From Houston fronted by the vixen banshee SLOAN

I am totally burned out on the whole 'female fronted metal' thing. It was cool when there were a number of stand out acts, but it seems everyone and their cousin have a female vocalist these days.

mëtålspëd;8091544 said:
I am totally burned out on the whole 'female fronted metal' thing. It was cool when there were a number of stand out acts, but it seems everyone and their cousin have a female vocalist these days.

And most of them sound horrible. Completely unenergetic airheaded vocals. I'm kind of sick of it too.

There are a few I like though... such as Magali Luyten (Virus IV, and Beautiful Sin).

mëtålspëd;8091544 said:

I agree. For the most part, it's ran its course with me as well. I hated to hear that After Forever broke up though. After Forever, along with Within Temptation and Nightwish are in a league of their own. I thoroughly enjoy Echoes of Eternity, due to their different approach to the whole female led band. I'm really looking forward to their second effort, whenever that will be.

~Brian~

I can't do edenbridge at all... too sugary for my tastes. Over the years, i've grown to detest female fronted bands specifically because in most cases (and you know it's true), it's nothing other than a cheap marketing gimmick to get the band signed and huge.

THAT SAID, i've been re-discovering one of my old favorites: Without Face. In fact, the vocalist from To-Mera was in without face a while back. Definitely recommend Astronomicon. It's far from perfect, but there are a few songs (The Violin of Erich Zahn in particular) that just destroy. They have proggy moments, weave female, male and death vocals together real well and the interplay between them is awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/withoutface

Some bands that I'm into excluding the ones that I liked that played Prog Power, Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, Persephone's Dream.

Lacuna Coil - yeah they've been around forever but still a great band lots of energy live and they're discs have a cool vibe.

Luna Mortis - formerly Ottoman Empire, we played with them a couple years back and I look forward to playing another show with them. Great band

Venturia - co-fronted with a female vocalist, this band is super proggy and technical.

Aghora - Another great proggy band.

Lullacry - A pop-ish band that's pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Angtoria

This is the brainchild of Chris Rhen who once upon a time had a short stint in Evergrey as their keyboardist and has the might vocals of Sarah Jezebel Deva. Its awesome to say the least.

http://www.myspace.com/angtoriaofficial

Definitely! :headbang:

They only have one album out though, as far as I know. Which is a shame. And I like Sarah Jezebel Deva because 1.) she's got a powerful alto, which is uncommon enough in the world of female sopranos fronting metal bands. 2.) She doesn't look like just about every other female fronting a metal band. While eye candy is nice, it's also great to see a more curvy lady representing women in metal. And she wears it well. Yay Sarah! :)

I have a very particular taste when it comes to hard rock...takes a lot for me to get into it.

Definitely checking out several more of these bands, but so far To-Mera remains my favorite out of the bunch.

anyone else have any opinions or female fronted acts that catch your attention for any particular reasons?
My favourite female-fronted progressive metal band is still Atrox (Monika Edvardsen-era) and my favourite album from them is "Terrestrials". You can download two songs from that album on their official website here (the best songs are IMO "Ruin", "Mental Nomads" and "Changeling" - which are not available for free download). If the vocals should be too weird for your taste, you might like their current album better which features male vocals - and about which I really don't care anymore.

One of my overall favourite female-fronted metal albums is still "Within The Veil" by Fear Of God, featuring Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) on vocals. Dawn's haunting vocals on this album (which is one of the darkest ever) are still unmatched IMO.

My favourite non-defunct female-fronted metal band is Madder Mortem. They sound very original to my ears and their vocalist has one of the most powerful female voices in metal. My favourite album is "Deadlands" and my favourite song "Resonatine". People who prefer beautiful melodies and guitar solos won't like them.

The female-fronted band I've been listening to the most during the last two years are Stolen Babies, though they aren't a "proper" metal band.

Being an old school thrash metal fan, I still enjoy listening to Détente's "Recognize No Authority" and Znowhite's "Act Of God" a lot.

I've also been enjoying Midnattsol's second album "Nordlys" quite a lot, especially since it sounded heavier than their debut. Some people complained about the development of Carmen's vocals, but I like them better than those on their debut.

Like OrbWeaver, I highly recommend Brave. I originally got into them after Jim Raggi's interview with Michelle in LotFP several years ago. They are local to me so I have had the opportunity to see Brave in some small venues in and around the DC area. Monuments is a great album, and they just released a 10 year retrospective that you might check out.

I am enjoying the debut of Tears of Magdalena, but Magdalena Lee left the band shortly after the release, so I'm not sure what the future of this band will be.

For something on the more aggressive side, ala Benedictum, check out Shadowside from Brazil.

Also check out www.femmemetalstore.net; they have a large inventory of CDs from female fronted bands.

Re: To-Mera, see my review at www.maximummetal.com (yeah, shameless plug, I know:))

There are tons of killer female fronted bands outside the power/prog genre everyone is listing here.
Cruachan-great celtic based metal
Silentium-symphonic gothic
Draconian-death/doom
Arch Enemy-melodic death, Angela kicks ass, no gimmick here!
Sirenia-more gothic
Theatre of Tragedy-gothic death/doom
The Sins of Thy Beloved-Symphonic gothic

These are few good ones to start with...

Then check out without face... like i said, same vocalist as to-mera on at least one of the albums.

oh yeah dude, without face is pretty damn cool. listening to them right now. :headbang: Definitely a good mix of style within their songs. Not boring at all to listen to - I find that to be my problem with a lot of bands I've checked out is the music gets boring after the first minute or two, but this stuff isn't like that at all, for me at least.

raising_iron said:
Arch Enemy-melodic death, Angela kicks ass, no gimmick here!.

no doubt, I do enjoy the occasional listen of an Arch Enemy song or five. :lol: