Female Metal Festival - Sat, June 16, 2007 - Minnesota

NIGHTMARE RECORDS WILL BE THERE WITH ALL THE GOODIE BINS OF CD'S AND DVD'S SO BRING YOUR CASH AND HOPES OF FINDING THAT EVER ELUSIVE PIECE OF METAL GOLD.

WE'LL ALSO BE HANDLING VAINGLORY'S MERCH, WE'LL GET KATE, CORBIN AND THE BOYS TO COME OVER AND DO SOME SIGNINGS ; )

RAGE ON!

Sounds great, Lance! I'm looking forward to meeting Kate and the guys. Thanks for asking them to do a signing. And thanks for being there to offer some great merch! :headbang:

I hate female fronted bands. Nothing sexist but I dont know they don't do it for me. I just feel like the female voice cant carry a band. I know I am in a minority and someone might give me shit for it but just never did it for me.

I can recognize that certain folks don't like certain types of vocals. I, for one, am not a big fan of death vocals (although I have become less narrow-minded about such things because I have learned to appreciate many of the melodic death bands out there, as well as many of the female-fronted bands I love that also use death vocals).

My only questions is, why would you choose to voice this opinion on a thread specifically in support of a female-fronted metal festival and female-fronted bands. That's like coming into a discussion about ProgPower and stating that you hate both Progressive and Power metal and any combination of the two o_O ... Sorry that just doesn't make sense to me.

Now - If you are making this statement in an attempt to be more open-minded to bands with female vocals, perhaps a post that includes a question asking if there are female-fronted bands that fall into the categories of metal you typically like/prefer would make your post seem more appropriate. If you are looking for bands with heavier more powerful vocals that "carry a band" I would suggest Vainglory, who is playing this year's Flight of the Valkyries Festival and has an extremely powerful front-woman, and Benedictum, a heavy metal band that not only kicks ass, but their signer sounds so much like Dio it's almost scary ... and if you don't like Dio ... well my friend, then I don't think any of us can help you. :rolleyes:

Note: I tried not to bog this post down too much with my personal preference for the strongest voice in female-fronted metal and this year's Flight of the Valkyries Festival headliner, Doro Pesch, mainly because I have a huge bias towards her as a vocalist and performer. I still don't see how anyone could say that her stage presence and voice cannot carry a band. As the woman with the longest standing career in metal (I'm pretty certain about this, but someone please let me know if I am mistaken), I don't see how someone could say that she can't carry a band on her own.

I was just merely putting it out there but I still send all my power to you and hope it is a big hit. Because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't do good. live the metal baby! I know my first comment seemed a lot meaner but i also had a few wee beers in me so we all know what happens then. Have a good festival I send my best.

I was just merely putting it out there but I still send all my power to you and hope it is a big hit. Because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't do good. live the metal baby! I know my first comment seemed a lot meaner but i also had a few wee beers in me so we all know what happens then. Have a good festival I send my best.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the well-wishes!

If you think that this is "opera-metal" ala Nightwish, that's not really the case, I have taken some pains to make sure that many different genres of metal are represented in this years' line-up. As this festival grows and progresses, I would like to continue to expand the range represented to include other countries. I have high hopes for this festival and hopefully there will be lots more to come!

-Nathan

Thanks brother, I appreciate the well-wishes!

If you think that this is "opera-metal" ala Nightwish, that's not really the case, I have taken some pains to make sure that many different genres of metal are represented in this years' line-up. As this festival grows and progresses, I would like to continue to expand the range represented to include other countries. I have high hopes for this festival and hopefully there will be lots more to come!

-Nathan

If this becomes a yearly event, I'll make sure to save up for the next show! :headbang:
Also, a band to look into if you really wany to have a bit of everything: Estuary
http://www.myspace.com/estuary

If this becomes a yearly event, I'll make sure to save up for the next show! :headbang:
Also, a band to look into if you really wany to have a bit of everything: Estuary
http://www.myspace.com/estuary

The idea is that yes, this would be come a yearly event. There are a ton of bands that I'd like to see play this in coming years, as a matter of fact, my roster for next year is practically done! However I am going to do the "Glenn-thing" and not say one single word until the bands are confirmed. Rest assured that next year's line-up will be extremely sweet!

Even though I love doing concerts and promoting stops on tours, it's been my dream to get a festival going. I've always envied Glenn's ability to choose the bands he really wants to put on his bill. This opportunity around Doro gave me a little bit of that and it's been very rewarding. One of the things I'd really like to be able to do is get a Dark Moor reunion going but that's a looong ways off for now! :lol:

Thanks for the Estuary recommendation, they are really good and close to MN which works out also. I will definitely add them to my ever-growing list.

Nathan

The idea is that yes, this would be come a yearly event. There are a ton of bands that I'd like to see play this in coming years, as a matter of fact, my roster for next year is practically done! However I am going to do the "Glenn-thing" and not say one single word until the bands are confirmed. Rest assured that next year's line-up will be extremely sweet!

Even though I love doing concerts and promoting stops on tours, it's been my dream to get a festival going. I've always envied Glenn's ability to choose the bands he really wants to put on his bill. This opportunity around Doro gave me a little bit of that and it's been very rewarding. One of the things I'd really like to be able to do is get a Dark Moor reunion going but that's a looong ways off for now! :lol:

Thanks for the Estuary recommendation, they are really good and close to MN which works out also. I will definitely add them to my ever-growing list.

Nathan

Estuary was also at the Minneapolis Mayhem 2!

Thanks John! I appreciate the support. You're no slouch yourself, Mr. Heathen Crusade! :zombie:

Mr Mayhem I totally forgot that YOU are responsible for Heather Crusade!! Or maybe I never put two and two together... Nonetheless, I'm sure happy to know that fest is in the hands of "one of our own" :headbang: I'm totally coming to work for you and SwordLord! :p

...I keep talking about it... :err:

Check this out!!!

Beautiful! :headbang: :worship:

Nathan

I'm so glad things are working out for you and this festival, and more and more, it looks like it will become an annual thing. :headbang: :kickass:
DemonOfTheWoods and I were discussing the festival the other day. I don't know if you have thought about sponsorships, but him and I would both be willing to go in together on a sponsorship in favor of Oratory (http://www.myspace.com/oratorymusic) in a future year. (I'm not sure how full next year's line-up has gotten.)

I've heard plenty of Warlock. And I've also seen Doro live. She's nowhere even near the same league as Ms. French. It's like comparing Don Dokken to Dio.

Although I think they are both amazing singers, I wouldn't put them on the exact same level either, considering the two of them sing somewhat different styles and one of them has been in the industry twice as long as the other. Also, Vainglory as a band (from what I understand) was built around Corbin, Doro was built around Doro.
I love Kate's unique rough-power vocal styling, but even I (an avid Doro fan) can admit that Kate's singing style is heavier than Doro's clean-power vocals. Regardless of who you want to argue is heavier or can carry a band better, I'm glad to see both of them on this festival.

Think we might run into the possibility of a duet, Swordsy? :D

How about Ignitor from Austin, Texas, very classic metal style wtih an awesome female vocalist.

I really dig the lineup for the Female Voices Festival in Belgium this October, but doubt I could get to it. If you could ever get Holy Moses to play in the U.S. I would be there with bells on!

Much as the music might or might not make sense two ultimate dreams of seeing for female fronted bands, would have been Sally Cato with sleaze metallers Smashed Gladys, and hmmm the thrash assault of Maltese Falcon (talk about cult, that disc ishard to find). Holy Moses though is top of my female bands to ever see. Also Nina who fronts Skew Siskin from Germany would be great, they haven't played much in the U.S. at all since their first album, but I did see them at a foundations festival at the Palomino warming up before the festival in 1990.

Oh, yeah, I could see this being a great yearly festival, plenty of top notch headliners and smaller bands of this genre, and at least you get guys coming that spend money, even if just to check out the ladies themselves. Not that I don't too. :p