Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

Here's a pretty good Fiction review I came across I thought you guys might enjoy: http://www.metalteamuk.net/cdreviews-darktranquillity.htm

Bravewords has also posted a short one.

Maybe this should be the official review thread?

Yeah this is a good review. My only minor disagreement with the reviewer is Misery's Crown - for whatever reason, it's my least favorite song on Fiction.

When there are more "official" reviews in mags an "official reviews" thread would be cool I think.

Yeah this is a good review. My only minor disagreement with the reviewer is Misery's Crown - for whatever reason, it's my least favorite song on Fiction.

When there are more "official" reviews in mags an "official reviews" thread would be cool I think.

I don't like that review at all. It tries to build up some images like spaceships or a downloading computer which are really weird and its language overall is something I dislike as well. It seems to me as if the writer is trying to put some science fiction, future theme on the album and I don't think it has anything to do with it.

I think I just wrote in a horrible English, sorry, I am really tired since the nap I was just taking was interrupted by several things and now I am about to fall asleep..

Can I take back my post and roll my eyes instead? I dont do it as sexily as you, nor do I have 6 eyes.
I do it with a lot of conviction though

I think the guys English is much better than yours. I like the review. I really like the spaceship idea which he mentions in connection with that slow part of ITPS. Ill remember that when listening to the song again. This morning I realised that this part resembles the eye of the storm for me - that sudden calm spot, which only prepares for yet another round of the storm.

@Heavy_Metal_Haiku: Welcome! I agree with your view of the record almost completely, Ill wait for the album to come out to present my own detailed review.

Marduk-- I'll look forward to reading your thoughts.

I like that spaceship idea. I imagined something similiar too when listening to the song-- a cinematic view in space, approaching lashing, multi-colored electrical clouds. To me the song SOUNDS like what it might be like to fly inside a particle storm. Not many songs achieve that kind of union of style and substance, where the lyrical theme is expressed perfectly through the music too.

Can I take back my post and roll my eyes instead? I dont do it as sexily as you, nor do I have 6 eyes.
I do it with a lot of conviction though

Look, I know what you meant, but I think there is a difference between reminding someone that his English isnt that good as a result of seeing that person labelling other peoples use of that language AND telling someone that his English sucks. I agree, its a kind of vicious circle, but I hope you understand the difference.

Marduk-- I'll look forward to reading your thoughts.

I like that spaceship idea. I imagined something similiar too when listening to the song-- a cinematic view in space, approaching lashing, multi-colored electrical clouds. To me the song SOUNDS like what it might be like to fly inside a particle storm. Not many songs achieve that kind of union of style and substance, where the lyrical theme is expressed perfectly through the music too.

Thanks, Im looking forward to that as well. Not that Im that narcissistic, but Im really looking forward to the listening and analysing the original.

Your view of ITPS is fantastic, havent thought of that. I can only say that I havent felt such shivers down my spine for quite some time. This song brings out really deep emotions in me - I can almost see how the guys thought "ok, lets take this as deep and far as possible".

Look, I know what you meant, but I think there is a difference between reminding someone that his English isnt that good as a result of seeing that person labelling other peoples use of that language AND telling someone that his English sucks.

There's also the matter of that someone wanting to be an English teacher. If I wanted to be a professional swimmer it'd be useful if people pointed out when I look like I'm drowning.

Overall: It's perfect. I love it just like I love every other DT-album. It will probably even become one of my favorite ones. The songs I like most are ... well, the only song I don't like as much as the others is Icipher, but it's still great.

Since I criticised the ITPS - Spaceship association, here is my personal one for the song:
I associate the ITPS with the scene in V for Vendetta where Evey is walking out in the rain and feels just cleaned of all the bad feelings and has kind of reached a new level of self-consciousness in the middle of the chaos and the rain representing it in the scende around here. So to say she has lost her "poison gene of humanity".
I like that association a whole lot more because I just want DT to sing about something I can relate to in some way, about "dark" feelings and not about spaceships and similar stuff.

Now you can laugh at me, ignore the post or discuss it.

Well, if you re-read what the reviewer wrote above, youll find out that it wasnt just "about spaceships and similar stuff", but about the feeling that the situation brings out - being left to drift in space in a spaceship with no control whatsoever. I liked the idea, because the intermezzo in ITPS is a bit strange - theres a bit of a silence there and then a sampled noise, and only then the slowish part starts, as if to indicate that something happened during those 2 or 3 seconds. Your association is interesting as well, but I find the feeling of being left alone in space pretty "dark" (if you prefer), too.

This discussion of In the Particle Storm made me listen closely to the lyrics (thank you Kov for the transcription!). My interpretation of the song is that it's about armageddon, a war that ends the world as we know it - hence the references to napalm, nothingness, the end of days, sarin gas, one final dawn, etc. The particle storm is the nuclear fusion/fission reaction that takes place at the heart of a nuclear reaction.

Any other interpretations?

Meaning-wise, yes, I believe the song is mainly about chemical and biological warfare with air-based weapons. I always thought it would make a good (if slightly morbid) music video. Whether or not it's representative of Armageddon as an event, or just as a trend in humanity's technological advances, I'm not quite sure.

~kov.

The particle storm is the nuclear fusion/fission reaction that takes place at the heart of a nuclear reaction.

Any other interpretations?

How can there be any other interpretations? :)

I'm not quite sure if this song needed any lyrics at all to deliver end-of-all-ends atmosphere - I can tell what it is about without any wordd going along with it.

In fact it creeps me out.

It would go perfectly along with nuclear explosion footage from the 60s (where houses are being blown away, or something that has been used for The Hills Have Eyes) or Chernobyl catastrophy documentary (I've actually been in the area when it hit in 1986).

A bit like the ending of Dr. Strangelove.

In fact, it would be an awesome video to see them standing at the center of a blast, and just a slow-motion expansion of the blast wave as everything is atomized around them.

~kov. (shivering. such a beautiful and frightening song.)