Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

I think thin still applies though. I know it freaked my siblings out when I first played them some DT, and then showed them what Mikael looked like. They expected someone alot bigger. He has incredible voice and breath control, which is why I feel he's such an excellent singer.

~kov.

I have to agree from my own experience. I was really blown away when I first saw the man behind those vocals. He has so much power and clarity with those growls. After that no singer has suprised me.

Some of my opinion on Fiction, after giving it quite a few spins:

I am surprised its held up for me so well after this amount of time. Most of the songs that stuck out to me have only gotten better, and there are more layers of sound than I can remember in DT's stuff. Honestly, this CD probably will replace Character (sorry, but I really did love that album) as my second favorite (Haven will always be my favorite...Oh well :) ). There is a lot more going on with the basslines and synth, or at least they are utilized differently now than I can remember from DT. It also has some really really headbang-able thrashy riffs that are eluded to slightly on Character, but seem fully realized here. Without being too cliche, if anything, they have certainly reaffirmed their position as my favorite metal band, and certainly the best in their respective genre.

I've actually stopped listening to it, just to preserve that great shock & awe for when I go to the concerts. Can't believe it's only a week away...

I think the first thing I'll do when I get the album is to look through the lyrics. Just so I can beat myself up about the obvious words that I missed. And then I'll enjoy it Villain-style.

~kov.

I've been reading everybody's responses to Fiction with interest. Thoght I'd throw out my impressions...

Having gotten into DT with DD, I hold that CD as my personal ideal, with Projector and Haven close 2nds. After downloading Fiction, I felt lukewarm at first, thinking it ranged from jawdroppingly brilliant to frustratingly generic. While immediately appealing on the surface, it seemed to contain too much of the same old DT riffs, melodies, chord changes, and rhythms -- executed perfectly and powerfully, of course, but overly familiar (apart from Inside the Particle Storm, which immediately stood out as a unique masterpiece). Certain striking passages stuck with me, though, and drew me back, and hooks, such as those in Focus Shift, Blind at Heart, and Terminus, which first struck me as too facile, actually grew more interesting, and I became so addicted I had to delete the files and throw out the CD-R lest I totally spoil April 17, when I'll be slapping that deluxe version on the stereo proper.

I still have some criticisms-- too many similar-sounding piano parts, too much self-plagiarism in those minor key guitar melodies-- but this may be their most definitive overall statement, integrating elements from their whole career into a beautifully produced work that has greater richness and clarity in the sound mix, a strong fluidity in the arrangements, and just enough variation in the record's second half to fend off stagnation.

The factor that really puts it over the top for me, though, is the vocal performance-- maybe not only his best, but also some of the best--most articulate, textured, and musical--growling I've ever heard in metal. Hats off. It' s not everyday you might throw on a melodeth record for the singing. :worship:

In the meantime, while waiting for the real release and resisting the temptation to re-download the leak, I've been rediscovering the back catalogue, especially some of the 2nd-tier (in my book) tracks which I'd never connected with until now. It's a good time to be a DT fan.:headbang:

Haha well i think that this 1dt Fiction review is pretty lousy actually, they guy's English sucks and the review ain't long enough IMO :p.

Haha well i think that this 1dt Fiction review is pretty lousy actually, they guy's English sucks and the review ain't long enough IMO :p.

I think the guys English is much better than yours. I like the review. I really like the spaceship idea which he mentions in connection with that slow part of ITPS. Ill remember that when listening to the song again. This morning I realised that this part resembles the eye of the storm for me - that sudden calm spot, which only prepares for yet another round of the storm.

@Heavy_Metal_Haiku: Welcome! I agree with your view of the record almost completely, Ill wait for the album to come out to present my own detailed review.

I think the guys English is much better than yours.

I was comparing the post you quoted with his considerations about his classmates and their fluency, on the chat thread, and I thought to myself: "rahvin, you're just being a cunt as usual." Still, the burning urge to say something nasty wouldn't leave me.

Now it sleeps again. :zzz:

the problem is that he thinks he is cool because he can write wigga english. no comment really.

Not long enough? Come on... Short reviews are the best! :D If the writer can tell everything he wants to tell in only a few words, I think it's great! A too long review is not interesting to read, imo! Gets boring really fast !