Finally saw Alive 2

Alive 2 has better sound and recording, plus some of the performances themselves are better. I never really cared for the double bass sound on MOMD, got irritating after awhile, and his snare could have sounded better, like on Nobody Knows Anything for example. However, Bush has a much more commanding presence whether it be in the studio or on the stage, singing or working the crowd. I haven't seen the Alive 2 DVD, only heard the CD, but if it's any hint at the way Joey controls a crowd, he's got nothing on John. Take Refuse to Be Denied and Antisocial, Class-A crowd working on John's part. However, the crowd screaming "ANTI-SOCIAL!!" during the outro on Alive 2 was fucking sweet. Plus, Joey could never EVER pull off Bring The Noise like John.

Joey has good stage presence but it's different from John. I couldn't say who's really better in the reguard.

aliasp said:
...but NFV is still the definitive Anthrax Live Performance on good ol VHS :D

Kinda like Maiden's Live After Death - nothing tops it (not even Rock in Rio or Death on the Road)

One day I hope they release NFV on DVD because my copy is shagged out. And I don't want to download a crappy copy off the interenet.

And Live After Death is also my fave Iron Maiden concert video. I hope that is gonna be on the 2nd 'History of Iron Maiden' DVD

ontherocks82 said:
I never really cared for the double bass sound on MOMD, got irritating after awhile, and his snare could have sounded better, like on Nobody Knows Anything for example. However, Bush has a much more commanding presence whether it be in the studio or on the stage, singing or working the crowd..

I couldn't agree more about the sound of the kick drums. I thought they sounded terrible on MOMD:erk: Of course, Charlies drumming was spot on and he did a fantastic job playing but his kick drums on that dvd is why my MOMD dvd has been collecting dust for awhile.

ontherocks82 said:
Alive 2 has better sound and recording, plus some of the performances themselves are better. I never really cared for the double bass sound on MOMD, got irritating after awhile, and his snare could have sounded better, like on Nobody Knows Anything for example. However, Bush has a much more commanding presence whether it be in the studio or on the stage, singing or working the crowd. I haven't seen the Alive 2 DVD, only heard the CD, but if it's any hint at the way Joey controls a crowd, he's got nothing on John. Take Refuse to Be Denied and Antisocial, Class-A crowd working on John's part. However, the crowd screaming "ANTI-SOCIAL!!" during the outro on Alive 2 was fucking sweet. Plus, Joey could never EVER pull off Bring The Noise like John.

i disagree,especially seeing this line up live as well as the dvds,bush does try hard,he has a routine speech here and there,the great thing about joey is he does it by just being himself,its magical and the crowd truly embraces joey,i can tell u the crowd in australia was belting out every lyric,i have never witnessed such love for a band.

I still haven't picked up this disc because of the bad taste left in my mouth on the engineering on M.O.M.D.

This one isn't as kick drum/bass frequency heavy as M.O.M.D., is it?

If it isn't, I'll pick it up.

I finally saw it as well, even though not the whole show. I agree, the sound is much better than MOMD. Charlie's and Scott's performance is great as usual, Frank is more explosive in comparison with MOMD (why the hell he has his eyebrow cut?? He looks weird), hobbit Spitz plays like Spitz (with his big glasses he looks like a mad professor of chemistry) and Belladonna is acting like he was a king of the stage, like he wanted to say 'Hey motherfuckers, here I am again after 13 fucking wasted years with Bush! Oh wait, I said Bush? Shit! Forget the name 'Bush'! I AM the REAL singer of Anthrax, nobody else! I want what's mine! ....What? Only? Safe Home? Haha! I refuse to sing that boring shit! Forget them!' Sorry guys but I can't stand Joey and Danny anymore.

As for the Documentary, I noticed that some footage had been made before the reunion was announced (see the big Anthragram behind Charlie's back when he holds the guitar and talks). It's evident that all five guys had said something which couldn't be used for this Documentary which was put together later... I'd like to see the whole interviews...

whitey131 said:
That's pretty funny becasue I think Scott said in an interview that TGOTE was how the songs were supposed to sound.

I think Joey's got a good voice and I saw the reunion show and he was reaaly good, but I feel sorry for you if you can't accept that Bush is a great vocalist as well.

I never said Bush wasn't a great vocalist. There are tons of great vocalists out there. However singing the Classic Era songs I want to hear Joey singing them because that is how they are supposed to sound, that is who sang them on the LP's. That is ANTHRAX.

Just as I wouldn't want to hear Joey singing John Bush's songs.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I never said Bush wasn't a great vocalist. There are tons of great vocalists out there. However singing the Classic Era songs I want to hear Joey singing them because that is how they are supposed to sound, that is who sang them on the LP's. That is ANTHRAX.

Just as I wouldn't want to hear Joey singing John Bush's songs.

But Scott disagrees. How it is supposed to sound is subjective.

mrthrax said:
the crowd truly embraces joey,i can tell u the crowd in australia was belting out every lyric,i have never witnessed such love for a band.
Of course they are, it would be the same with Van Halen if David Lee Roth was back, or AC/DC with Bon Scott once again. The crowd is just pumped because the guy who sang the classic era material is back in the fold, doesn't mean he's better at crowd control.

johnnieCzech said:
I had trouble believing that the "meeting" at the beginning is genuine.

The meeting really was genuine. That was the first time they'd been in the same rooom together since back in the day.

Alive 2 is fucking great to me,excellent sound and just explosive and belladonna sounds so much better than what he was sounding like in the days just before they split (92?). I dont know though, i really dont trust scott or Charlie,I just cant help it.Also with Belladonna back in the band and so happy about it, and with so many bush era fans feeling a bit screwed, I guess this will all end it tears whether they decide to keep this classic line up or whether they dont and they are driving themselves into a dead end.

Yeah true that. Regardless of which singer you prefer, you have to agree that they really took a risk doing this. And no matter where they go from here, they will be taking an even bigger risk. Ballsy, yet, scary all at the same time. I hope to hear from Bush soon, one way or the other though. I don't care what some of you say, I think he has a kick ass voice. I prefer him as the singer, but, I am younger, and never would have gotten the chance to see Joey and Dan untill now. I really enjoyed being at the Alive 2 shoot, and I am really looking forward to this Tuesday too! Hopwfully it will all work out for the guys in the end - they are all so great - both lineups - it would be ashame to see either one die, really.

whitey131 said:
That's pretty funny becasue I think Scott said in an interview that TGOTE was how the songs were supposed to sound.

I think Joey's got a good voice and I saw the reunion show and he was reaaly good, but I feel sorry for you if you can't accept that Bush is a great vocalist as well.

Well I know I can accept that Bush is a great singer as well. It's just that Joey is better.

Thrillho said:
Yeah true that. Regardless of which singer you prefer, you have to agree that they really took a risk doing this. And no matter where they go from here, they will be taking an even bigger risk. Ballsy, yet, scary all at the same time. I hope to hear from Bush soon, one way or the other though. I don't care what some of you say, I think he has a kick ass voice. I prefer him as the singer, but, I am younger, and never would have gotten the chance to see Joey and Dan untill now. I really enjoyed being at the Alive 2 shoot, and I am really looking forward to this Tuesday too! Hopwfully it will all work out for the guys in the end - they are all so great - both lineups - it would be ashame to see either one die, really.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I feel. As for one of the earlier posts, I didn't get the impression that Joey was being "king of the stage" - I actually thought he was being quite humble, being an entertainer and most of all, being glad to be playing Anthrax songs with Anthrax again. What you must remember is that Joey didn't stop playing music live, but he did do quite a few shows with "tribute" bands, and I'm led to believe that his own live setlist featured a fair few Anthrax songs. How much nicer is it for him to be able to play the songs with the people he recorded them with than with some hired hands?

I thought Alive2 (Mrs Carcassian did actually buy me it for x-mas, it arrived late - along with the new Candlemass DVD) was brilliant - and for the record, the live sound is way better than on MOMD, but I thought that maybe the chemistry on the band with MOMD was a little better - but that being said, this was an early performance for the reunion line up.

I'm excited for whichever ANthrax line up records next - because whichever it is (and I cling to the forlorn hope of including EVERYBODY), I will buy it, and I won't doubt it will be great, because I may like some 'Thrax albums more than others, but at the end of the day I liked them ALL.

Carcassian said:
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I feel. As for one of the earlier posts, I didn't get the impression that Joey was being "king of the stage" - I actually thought he was being quite humble, being an entertainer and most of all, being glad to be playing Anthrax songs with Anthrax again. What you must remember is that Joey didn't stop playing music live, but he did do quite a few shows with "tribute" bands, and I'm led to believe that his own live setlist featured a fair few Anthrax songs. How much nicer is it for him to be able to play the songs with the people he recorded them with than with some hired hands?

I thought Alive2 (Mrs Carcassian did actually buy me it for x-mas, it arrived late - along with the new Candlemass DVD) was brilliant - and for the record, the live sound is way better than on MOMD, but I thought that maybe the chemistry on the band with MOMD was a little better - but that being said, this was an early performance for the reunion line up.

I'm excited for whichever ANthrax line up records next - because whichever it is (and I cling to the forlorn hope of including EVERYBODY), I will buy it, and I won't doubt it will be great, because I may like some 'Thrax albums more than others, but at the end of the day I liked them ALL.
Thank you for making an intelligent post. Though many of us prefer one vocalist to anouther we all want some new material. And I personnally would love to see both vocalists on stage together.