Finnish metal!

In any event, Demilich and early Amorphis own this thread. Demigod, Beherit, Funebre, Xysma, Adramelech, Skepticism, Thergothon, the first two Sentenced releases, and early Impaled Nazarene all are worthy first tier bands in their own right.

u all fail cause none mentioned

teh mighty and very classic

NIGHTWISH

Finland has many great metal bands, too bad most of them are either very underground or sing in Finnish, thus limiting their chances of becoming internationally known. A few good examples would be Stam1na (progressive thrash metal, one of my favourite bands), Rytmihäiriö (sort of thrash/grind with hilarious lyrics), Amoral (tech-death) etc..

Also the aforementioned Thy Serpent and Sentenced's first few albums are pretty good.

Obviously the more polished and poppy acts gain international success, but you shouldn't judge the whole country by them. We have a very vivid and active metal underground.

Seitsemän surman siunausliitto on perkeleen kova! Suosittelen!

Sorry for those who don't speak finnish ;)

Seitsemän surman siunausliitto on perkeleen kova! Suosittelen!

Sorry for those who don't speak finnish ;)

wow, what a band name! I thought you were kidding at first but after a google search, I found them. They are described as surmacore, they have to be the only band in the category.