Finnish

Originally posted by Bambi
Eos sed:

"The difficulty about Finnish is that it has nothing to do with the language we (the rest of Europe... except Hungarian ) are used to"

okay kid, talk to me here, cos I find this linguistic kinda thing interesting even though I know sweet f.a about it . Are all european languages common in their root/structures etc?? And how is finnish different?? btw the only finnish word I know is perkele (suprise suprise) and the only finnish person I asked what it meant was a strict christian who was really shocked that I knew it heheheheh

Well I never learned that at school so I can´t guarantee that everything I say is right ;) and I can only tell about languages I know/speak. Croatian is definitely a slawian language as also Russian, Rumanian, Polish (sounds strange :err: ), Slowakian, Slowenian andandand. All those language are in some kind similar. Like when I see a written word in Russian I can maybe understand it although I never learned a word of it. I also understand it when my bf speaks Slowenian and I never learned thatone either.
Then there are the languages which comes from the latin, like Italian, French, Spanish... Loads of the words come from a latin word and so if you know latin it´s much easier to learn the most of those languages.
There´s another group with German, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish but don´t ask me details :D . The same about English.. don´t really know the roots of it..
Then there´s another linguistig group in Europe in which are Hungarian and Finnish. I don´t know the name of it in English (finno-ungrisch I think it´s in German). Both, Hungarian and Finnish, have nothing to do with the rest of the european language, except one of the lagnuage which is spoken in one of the western ex-UDSSR countries. But it´s not really sure and the scientists are fighting about it :err: There´s a language which belongs to the same linguistic group as Hungarian and Finnish spoken somewhere in Siberia ;)

Originally posted by speakinstone
Nature's really the best part here! :headbang: Though I won't see it much here at Helsinki, but I'm escaping to countryside when I'm getting too fucked up with this city..!

Finland is about 6 times bigger than Switzerland and you have (more or less) the same number of people lives in the two countries :eek:
Switzerland has got nice landscapes too (although I don´t like mountains...) but there´s really no chance to be there alone.. People and kids everywhere :cry:
I feel like living on an ant farm :cry:

cool. muchos gracias, english has germanic roots I think, with some nordic thrown in there too. I always thought of european languages as being either based on latin, german or slavic roots but theres probably loads of exceptions like finnish

Originally posted by Eos
Finland is about 6 times bigger than Switzerland and you have (more or less) the same number of people lives in the two countries :eek:
Switzerland has got nice landscapes too (although I don´t like mountains...) but there´s really no chance to be there alone.. People and kids everywhere :cry:
I feel like living on an ant farm :cry:

funny you say that cause that's exactly what i liked about switzerland, quiet and that. me mate lives in kinda country side but still even lausanne seemed to be a quiet town. maybe that's because i grew up in paris.

Originally posted by moody
funny you say that cause that's exactly what i liked about switzerland, quiet and that. me mate lives in kinda country side but still even lausanne seemed to be a quiet town. maybe that's because i grew up in paris.

Probably yes ;)
The cities here are not very big (well not as big as Paris *g*) and the people are not that stressed (one exception is Zurich). But still there are too many of them :mad:

English, German, and all Scandinavian countries are Indogermanic languages (i.e. they have the same source, though different influences, like lots of words e.g. have a Latin root, but there are also lots of words with 'regional' sources)
The Romance languages are divided into Eastern and Western Romania - Eastern Romania consisting of Italian, Romanian (yes, it's not a Slavic language), Rhato-Roman (official language in Switzerland), the Western Romania consists of Spanish, Portuguese, French.
Finnish and Hungarian are Ugric languages or whatever they're called, but belong to a different group.

Wow!!! I really like this whole language-knowledge thing. I guess we are all very educated individuals (hehehe). BTW, i'm trying to learn French now... The grammar is easy but what is a big pain in the ass is that you have to figure out how to pronounce the words. Anyway....

Originally posted by sol83
Wow!!! I really like this whole language-knowledge thing. I guess we are all very educated individuals (hehehe). BTW, i'm trying to learn French now... The grammar is easy but what is a big pain in the ass is that you have to figure out how to pronounce the words. Anyway....

exeptions, exeptions, exeptions.... good luck ;)

Originally posted by Eos
Probably yes ;)
The cities here are not very big (well not as big as Paris *g*) and the people are not that stressed (one exception is Zurich). But still there are too many of them :mad:

i can sense a bit of misanthropy there :rolleyes: