Firewind Show In Thessaloniki

Kirst-ehhh

Epic Kirsty
Jan 2, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
www.myspace.com
Right so as some of you know I was going to Thessaloniki to see the Firewind show on the 11th January.

Well I WENT! But firstly I'll lead up to it all with my travels.

I left the house at 4am to get to the airport on time and we walked about and checked in at like 5am and by 7.30am we were in Dublin! In Dublin we sat about and waited for our check-in which wasn't til like 11am. We went to McDonalds and I had a muffin XD

We got our flight to Bratislava (Slovakia) and within a few minutes of being off the flight we were on the bus to Vienna. I caught maybe an hour of sleep on the bus and then we were in Vienna! We got off thebus, asked some directions in a hotel, aquired a map and got on the subway. Within about half an hour we were at Jack and Janina's flat!

Janina is Austrian, Jack is American (from WisCAAAAAAANson)! Heh. Alan and Jack got on instantly and sat about playing guitar. Janinas sister and her friend were there and we decided to go out! We were informed off a blues band that were playing and went there. We got the tram, arrived there after much walking and had a few beers. Then we got the subway back to the flat and headed out to a local metal bar where we spent WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money on WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much beer.

The rest is a bit of a blur for that night though I think we got home about 3-4am, Alan puked some, then we fell asleep. We had to get up about 8.30am and be out the door by 9am as we had a subway then a train to catch to the airport. Got to the airport and checked in straight away and went to the departure area. We were really tired but really excited at the same time!!

Before we knew it we were in Thessaloniki! The bus was really cheap and the weather was a bit cold but not half as cold as Scotland! I took a couple of pictures of the sea. It was gorgeous. SO beautiful. We got there just as the sun was setting. Also a fountain and the white tower. I text Bob and he sent us the address of a hotel. So we found the street eventually and walked along it til we found the first hotel! It was €30 which wasn't too bad. I had a shower, got changed and we left again and walked to the White Tower where we got a bus to the gig.

Not long after we got there Firewind came on. YAAAAY! We were about 5 rows from the front when they opened and everyone surged forward and I got caught in a pit where I proceeded to end up hurting my ribs, and really badly bruising my ankle (where someone stood on it). Yas. The first new song Firewind played was called 'Into The Fire'.

Holy fucking shit. It's AWESOME. It's quite a similar style to the Allegiance album so if you like that you will NOT be disappointed. Another new one called Mercenary Man. It's quite heavy! Definitely a catchy headbanging tune! It's different but I love it. They also played "My Loneliness". Wow. My favourite new one is Into The Fire though! It is SO catchy!

Can't really remember some of the names of the others! So I'll leave it at that! They played all the usual suspects including Allegiance, Between Heaven and Hell, Brothers Keeper, Tyranny etc etc.

I'm glad there was a DVD being recorded or I'm sure there would have been a lot more Greek speaking which I didn't understand XD

Though Bob translated to us something he said about Athens to get the Thessaloniki natives(Thessalonikans?) going. VERY BAD! Especially since he's from Athens! Haha.

So after the show we hung about, had some water and stuff and talked to Bob and some Italians who had travelled for the show :) We later found out we could have went backstage. Doh! Someone could have let us know!!! *rolls eyes*. Anyway we were going to go to the aftershow, but we decided just to go to the airport since our flight to Milan was at 6.15am. So we called a taxi. We waited ages and I sent Alan back in to check on it. And he came back with Gus G! lol. He told us that Apollo was getting the same flight :eek: Saw Petros and met his girlfriend too :) They were cold, heh. Though the temperature was about the same as it is in Glasgow in Spring!

So we got to the airport, waited around, checked in and Alan looked behind us and saw Apollo in the queue. Haha! So we checked in and went and got some water (forgetting we can't take it through security!) and had to sit outside and drink it. Apollo had water too so we just sat on the ground and waited and talked some. We went to duty free and bought some Ouzo, as did Apollo for his dad XD

We went through check in and got on our flight. Most of which I slept since I was KNACKERED!!!! Me and Alan got off and met up with Apollo again as we both had 5-6 hour waits on our connecting flights! We went to arrivals and sat and talked for an hour or so before Apollo went to sleep on the floor and went to sleep on the chair very uncomfortably. I think Alan slept too. I woke up a couple of times and saw some people almost tripping over Apollo. Hehe! Then me and Alan had a cheese toasty before we woke Apollo and went to find our gate number (our flight was before his). Turns out we were at Terminal 2 and he was Terminal 1. So we said our goodbyes and went to get our flight home.

The End.

Oh, and by the way. I know the cover. But I'll never tell :p There's a clue though...maybe only the British will get it though, BUT:

*sings* 118, 118 on the phooone. Textin' like they neeever have before!

ROFL.

xx Kirsty

Great stuff :D

I wish i could share Firewind stories like that, but unfortunately they havent been here yet. :(

If they dont come to Australia on the next tour, i will cry, cry like a little girl.

BTW, checking out the Youtube vids of that show....

I had my camera, but I kept it in my bag. I was second row and the crowd behind me were all pitting and maniacs. My camera would have broken and I just got it about a week ago.

12.1mp, 6x optical zoom, Canon PowerShot G9 piece of sex. It's awesome.

xx Kirsty

You're *obviously* not experienced with Mediterranean Europeans :p You should have whipped it out and they'd be like "oooooh she's gonna take a picture, MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!"

lmao. Well this is some of Spikes quality photography:

dscf4767nh5.jpg

UP THE NOSE SHOT:

dscf4781kw2.jpg

<3

xx Kirsty

Lol and you remember when the bassist got his hair stuck in the guitarist's tuning keys? And strands of hair were left dangling?

Too funny.

Most of them were placed at the side of the stage. There was a wee guy that must have been designated "drummer cam" and was mostly recording Mark Cross.

There was a full on camera crew at the very back of the arena on a podium type place. We were stood outside behind them for a wee bit and they were getting some awesome shots.

There was probably a camera up on the balconies too but I was never up there and didn't really pay much attention.

I doubt the DVD will be released for a good few months yet though >.<

xx Kirsty

So yeah I don't use the forum much but WOW! What a gig thessaloniki. What a place too. It was warm... in winter...

Gig was brilliant new tunes soound great Apollo's voice is killer and what of Gus G and Bob well... They are better than ever.
Looking forward to hearing the new album in full.

Getting to hang with apollo in milan was awesome too. although we did sleep alot. I think we were all pretty drained by that point. just goes to show you're never too good for an airport floor. :) Metal!

Al of D