Reviews!

Kirst-ehhh

Epic Kirsty
Jan 2, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
www.myspace.com
Truly, truly amazing.

I am hyped up like fuck. In Peterborough - I was quite drunk...but I got to the venue just in time for Grand Magus. Walked in and waltzed right to the front centre. No pushing or cramped-ness! Also - there were NO barriers. My knees are bruised and cut to shit thanks to the front of the stage. I had loads of space. Front centre it was awesome. I had Apollos crotch right in my face the whole time :)

As for the gig - Grand Magus - I wasn't really keen on the whole...mono-vocals they had going on...but they TOTALLY grew on me. Fox is an extremely talented bassist. I've never really heard a band play that style that I liked. They are definately quite unique.

Firewind - Jesus. Where do I begin? They came onstage and totally blew me away. I got loads of great pictures!!! The sound was great for such a small venue!!! I loved it. It was what I would call 'intimate'. Everyone kept asking where we were from though! The guitar was crisp, the drumming was flawless (even when some hardcore type folk were on stage and fell into Mark's kit...)

Just totally impressed with them. Me and Alan sang the 2nd verse to Between Heaven and Hell with Apollo. It was truly an amazing experience. Just being that close and personal during a gig!!!

After their set I walked around, downed some beer, met some cool people that would be in Nottingham the next day :) then...I MET FIREWIND!!! First I met Mark who signed my ticket 'The First Lady of Metal' because I had ticket number 1. Then got my ticket signed by Petros - he is so lovely!!! Definately the sweetest, shyest member!!! Next up I was getting Bob's signature! He signed my ticket and we had a little chat.

Then it was a fight to try see Apollo and Gus!!! I waited and got my turn with Apollo - and I told him about my hamsters (one of whom is named after him) and he said "OH!!! It's you! It's the hamster girl!!!". He stood with me and asked me my name and took the time to spell my name right. He signed and wrote "Love ya Kirsty!". Then I got Gus' signature. He also called me 'The Hamster Girl' (other hamster is Kostas!) I went back to my Travelodge a happy person!! Well - no joke I actually don't remember getting back to the hotel.

NOTTINGHAM!!!

After an hour on the train, Alan and I got to Nottingham!!! I had quite a bad hangover, due to a combination of too much beer, jager and headbanging!

Felt sick ALL day. Didn't eat at all :( But we got to the Travelodge an hour early. So we went to sit in the bar (surprise surprise!!!) and we met some people. Mike and Fiona who were from Leeds and York respectively. They were awesome. We sat and chatted away. They invited us to their hotel room. So we checked in, put our stuff down, took our booze and headed to their room. We sat and listened to metal, watched Metalocalypse, drank and had fun!!! Turns out they were on my Myspace!!! LMAO!

Anyway, left for the gig with them in a taxi. Got there and queued. Got in eventually and we were 2nd row. But before Grand Magus were even on I was FRONT FUCKING ROW, centre again!!! This venue was PAAACKED. Like sardines we were!!! I was being crushed against the barriers - not much fun with a hangover. I was dehydrated too. I almost passed out twice...probably because I hadn't eaten too. Apollo threw me some water which was ace. Best drink EVER! My hair went UBER curly. Total fro. So there are no pictures of me from this gig!! :p

Grand Magus again had grown on me - I found myself singing their songs throughout the day...much to Alan's annoyance!!! I REALLY enjoyed their set this time! The sound wasn't exceptional but they made the best of it! They aren't very crowd oriented like Firewind, but they are passionate about what they do, definately!!! I had a POUNDING headache when they came on....so yeah. Don't really have much else to say about them...

Firewind...well what can I say, this I would say was maybe the best gig...probably just because of the aftershow though - but I'll get to that!!!
They blazed through their setlist!!! The band recognised us from the night before, gave us wee waves and winks and handshakes whilst onstage...and of course the Legendary Gus G Tongue Flick!!! Alan caught 3 of Gus' picks. Honestly - the man has lightning reflexes!!! He gave me one and Mike one!

The setlist was different this time! More ballads! YAY! Can't be arsed going through them all! Their sound was powerful! Onstage the band said they were having an aftershow party. Us? There? OBVIOUSLY!!!

Anyway, during Between Heaven and Hell I'm sure I blacked out for just a moment. I was SO dehydrated. Couldnt get to the bar for fear of losing my place...so I sat it out like a true metal fan! :p Anyway, I ran to the bar for water as soon as I knew Firewind were finished. Downed it and threw it back up in the toilets. Same with Coca Cola...eurgh. TMI? Anyway, we met the guy from Peterborough (Sebastian!) and a few other people. And we trooped to this aftershow venue.

We got there and me, Alan, Mike and Fi headed upstairs to watch a free gig that was on. And BTW - £1.80 a pint. It was a done deal even if I did feel like shit.

Anyway, headbanged like total DICKS for about 40 minutes and Firewind still weren't there. Time passed, stuff happened. About an hour passed an FINALLY at about 1.30am Mark Cross walks through the door. Alone.

Hmmm. Fuck it! I was having a good time so I got more beer and chatted about shit with other people, talked with Mark for a bit. Awesome guy. Then about 30 minutes after Mark arrived Bob, Gus and Petros arrived! I talked to Bob for a good wee while. Told me the story about him being in a BM band and his keyboard collapsing. I laughed so hard!!!

Didn't really talk to Gus, or Petros. Just vaguely in and out of conversation really! As the night went on I remember less and less.

BUT I remember the best bits and there are pics to prove it! My sunglasses were handed around the bar. Gus tried them on (and looked better than me in them!!! LOL!) and then Petros (and he didn't want to give them back!) then Bob - who loved them so much he said I was to give them to him during The Fire And The Fury in Glasgow and he would wear them! He pinky promised me! And it was a done deal from there :p I remember Petros and Mark on their hands and knees chasing a dog round a table...

And turning the Lost Prophets off only to hear Petros saying in a thick Greek accent "FUCK YOU MAN!" as soon as it went quiet!!!! LMFAO!!! Gus was almost rolling about laughing!!!! He made a comment...but it was in Greek to Bob! Heh.

What else do I remember?? Oooh! Taking shots of black aftershock with the barmaid! Also...gus STILL calling me Hamster Girl!!! BAH!!!

Apollo didn't show up... bit gutted. STAGGERED back to the hotel with Mike, Fiona and two random guys. One of whom I called a "dodgy Cockney car salesman". He just looked the type. They showed us back to our hotel. We said bye to Mike and Fi and I went to my room to pass out ^_^

GLASGOW!!!

Oooh!!! Back home! Trip back home was just a disaster!!! Two coaches and 1 train journey later we made it (IN NINE HOURS). Got the first bus at 9pm. Got home about 6pm-ish. Took the fastest ever shower and was in town for about half 6!!! Got to the front of the queue. Got myself front row (AGAIN). Slightly to the left this time though! More to Gus' side! The gig was just awesome and I was a lot more sober!!!

We had two local support bands to sit through. First one was just AWFUL. God. STOP! Their bassist was absent too - the singer explained his absence: "Our bassist broke his leg in PE the day!". Hmmm. Enough about them!

Man of the Hour. They were alright. But not who I would have chosen as a LOCAL support (them being from 50 odd miles away for a start!) and also they were too....I dunno. Not suited! I thought some of their stuff was OK but not really bang-your-head style.

Grand Magus - I'M A CONVERT!!! They just converted me tonight! Awesome. Played REALLY well...and I knew too many of the words for my own liking! Can't say anymore I haven't already. LISTEN TO THIS BAND!!!

Firewind - Tonight was just everything I could have hoped for. It topped of an amazing weekend. The best of my life so far. Everything about the set was just amazing! It was the same as Nottingham's set. I was SO hyped!!! Gus' guitar really sounded amazing tonight and Apollo and Gus were totally workin' that mic! Myspace poses everyone!!! BOB WORE MY SUNGLASSES DURING THE FIRE AND THE FURY <3!!! YEAH!!! Dead happy!!!

Wasn't being crushed tonight but it was still quite sweaty and hot! But that's the atmosphere innit!!! And The Cathouse curse reared it's ugly head once more. TOO MUCH FAKE SMOKE GUYS!!!!! Damnit. Learn to work the damn machine. My pictures are all shit from Glasgow.

Afterwards, got to the lobby bit to see Apollo being absolutely hoarded with people wanting an autograph!!! Talked to Mark whilst waiting for Apollo to be less crowded. Got my Nottingham and Glasgow tickets signed by only Apollo. He remembered my name :) He remembered! He wrote it on my tickets, heh. He told me and Alan to wait...so we did...and then he talked to us for about 5 minutes. He is SO lovely!!! He gave me his e-mail address... :D But I'll never tell! Heh! And told me that I shouldn't have to pay for London or something :s I told him I wanted to go to America (they're playing America on my birthday!!! Nooo!!!!) to see them. I probably will if I can get funds!!! Anyway, he said he would come out in a while and see us if we hung around.

So me, Alan and Stu went to McDonalds and fed ourselves! Then went back and waited for a bit. Mark came out...then took girls back to the bus for drinks. Heh. Awesome. Then finally Apollo came out, told us he was going to drop off his bag and then come back out...and here's the amazing part...he actually did!!!

So another trip to McDonalds was in order!!! Then we walked him back to the bus...he demanded some pictures on his camera!!! Lol! And then we all said bye and went our seperate ways. I'm upset now. The best weekend of my life is gone!

But I want to thank Firewind (and booze) for helping it happen!!!

So thanks Apollo, Gus, Bob, Petros and Mark :)

xx Kirsty (Hamster Girl :p )

Wow. I'm jealous haha. I would have liked to go on a weekend like that schedules and distances didn't work in my favour the two times I saw Firewind...

But hey, I'm glad you had a very enjoyable-Firewind weekend. I just can't wait for the next European tour...

after reading your reviews i'm not bouncing off the walls with excitement! Damn work making me sit down all day:p
tonight is gonna rock!

Trust me!!! I wish I was going today too!!!

Really though, Firewind are not only amazing musically, but as people they are some of the best.

I just realised how long that review actually is!!!! Wow!!! LOL!

I'm still on a high from the weekend I've had!!! I saw Firewind in Manchester and Glasgow (left straight after them - like I want to see Dragonforce!!!)

Saw them in Cheltenham too at ProgPower. I'm for definate going to see them in the USA in September. A flight to the US for £211 return. Yes. YES.

Everyone who is going to London, enjoy yourselves. And SOMEONE - please tell Apollo if you meet him that I said 'hi' (tell him it's from Kirsty...or Hamster Girl if he doesn't remember how my name is pronounced again! :p )

Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy yourselves at London tonight and post some AWESOME reviews!!! ^_^

xx Kirsty

ok im gonna do a short review of the London gig - for a start this was the best day ever, as i saw my old mate and i didnt even know he liked firewind so that was a nice suprise. and also after the gig herman li was just STANDING in the middle of the crowd area so i had a quick chat with him!
But yeah firewind, as you'll see in the uk tour thread were flawless, the crowd was more "violent" than i imagined but i was to drunk to care! the setlist was the same as nottingham i believe but WOW! what a fucking amazing night, apparently a crowd surfer broke bobs keyboard(and landed on my head, fucker!) FUCKING wicked night!

LMAO!!! Yeah! Me and you, long haul flight to the US in September? Fancy it?

I forgot to mention in my uber long review that I threw underwear onstage at Petros and Apollo. Petros loved it!!! He well pretends he's shy!!!

And Apollo just smiled and picked it up and put it on Gus' guitar head. He LOVED it anaw. The look on his face though when he saw it was more "Oooh! They look like they might be my size!" than "Yes - we're sex gods".

And I would like to apologize for any groping incidents that may have occured in Peterborough and Nottingham. I was drunk and I'm sorry.

xx Kirsty

lol lol i wanna do the london one but i dont know what to say haha, i cant stop thinking about it.
OMG WHO SAW HERMAN LEE?
he passed the back and i was like HERMAN LEE! and people are like what where? where? mwahah

Damnit ProgPower!!!

I say we just go to one of the wee venues in the US, where I will proceed to stay sober since I'm not 21... I looked up flights. Return is about &#163;211 for my birthday. Not bad.

Either that or we see them in July at Metal Healing in Greece!!!

Well let me know. Because I am more than serious!!!

I picked up a shit load of holiday brochures for Greece and America today.

I think I'm a wee bit too obsessed.....I need to be stopped.....

Nah!!! :kickass: ROCK ON!!! FIREWIIIIND!!!!!!! <3

xx Kirsty

Poor bob!!!
Hes the easy target haha we always steal his playlist!!! :D
I ripped this one off, and before that he told me off for looking O____O
I couldnt help it. it was right in my face!
london one:
image1vm9.jpg