First Band Confirmed (NO Choice but to go public)

nailz said:
Well, the bands are already 100x better than last year. Even if I'm not a huge Therion fan, I'm looking forward to seeing them play. Moreso than anyone who was at the festival last year.

Not to be a jerk but that comment was uncalled for and dumb.

So some band that your not a fan of is 100x better than any of the bands that played last year?

We all know that there might be some given bands that may make their repeat performances at VI but still, try not to be so rude to Glenn in his own house.

Ed

Curufin said:
He means that even with just the announcement of Therion, the roster for this year is already 100 times better than last year's. He didn't like last year's roster.
Oh I see (LOL); in other words, I guess he was tight on last year's lineup with only knowing one band this year (that he isn't even crazy about). People fuckin amaze me sometimes.

yardleybates said:
OK I'm officially confused, I'm checking out the Therion site and I don't see any mention of a female. I listened to a couple samples and no female voice, either. What am I missing?

The female voice is not an offical member, is a soprano girl like support, in fact the oficial line up is only Christopher Johnsson and the Brothers Christian and Johan Niemann :headbang:

LOCALX said:
With the big rush over the last year with female vocalists, im almost bored of it. Granted NIGHTWISH is great, and a slew of other female fronted bands are also good, but for me to get into another, i dont no if that will happen. ill have to go out a purchase there latest cd. So the 5th slot is the HEADLINER of the night, to me THERION slot is not for me, they should play earlier in the night. From what i was reading on the internet, they used to be alot more DEATH back in the day, is this true? :headbang:

Yes they a lot more death back in the day. They are not a female fronted band. They really don't have a frontperson. Some female operatic vocals and some metal vocals. The new album has Mats Leven who was on Malmsteen's Facing The Animal cd. The mastermind is basically Christopher Johnsson who was the vocalist (and does some deathy type vocals on the new album) and guitarist. They've had such guests as Ralph Scheepers and Hansi Kursch among others. I am totally psyched to for this show!!

Yeah, I'm listening to the live CDs again and it seems like there's a Therion song out there for nearly anybody. They really can cover almost all of the metal map.

As for the female presence, they have been graced with various female talents over the years, including Sarah Jezebel Deva, who's currently with Cradle of Filth (and was contributing to both bands simultaneously for a while). At CoF's show a few months ago she told me she hadn't been singing for Therion for about six months*, so I don't know who's handling the female vox for Therion now.

Rider of Theli, somehow I had a feelin' you might be happy with the news about Therion. Glad I could oblige. :tickled: :Spin:

I am, once again, honored and proud to be on board (or as Glenn puts it, "on the hook" :)) this year as a sponsor. Therion is one of the bands I reallly wanted to see live before I died, and heere we go....

-=-=-=-=-=-
*this was a bit of a surprise, since two Ozzfests ago, when I mentioned to Sarah that I played CoF on the radio here, she asked me to play Therion also, "because I sing for them, too!" It was an unneeded request, since we'd already been playing Therion for years. :headbang:

Pellaz said:
Yeah, I'm listening to the live CDs again and it seems like there's a Therion song out there for nearly anybody.

That's very true. Their originals include songs that should appeal to progressive metal and power metal fans. In addition, they have performed cover songs of some true metal classics - songs like Loudness' "Crazy Nights," Manowar's "Thor," even a version of Running Wild's "Under Jolly Roger." My favorite cover song by Therion is Accept's "Seawinds," which is turned into a thing of stunning beauty.

If the speculation is true and Demons & Wizards perform this year's PP, I hope they get Hansi Kursch up on stage to perform "Flesh of the Gods."

THAT'd be insanely cool!

One bummer about Therion and their schedule....they're scheduled to play Thursday and Friday night elsewhere (Friday night at the infamous Jaxx in Virginia), so unfortunately, they'll be a "Hi, we're here on Saturday" band. Hope there's time for an autographing session.

I think there's a possibility they might be the first band arriving in a tour-bus ever to play ProgPower. (!) I can't think of anyone else doing this; although some bands have been conducting tours in connection with ProgPower, they've been limited or ad-hoc tours.

shreddy said:
Not to be a jerk but that comment was uncalled for and dumb.

So some band that your not a fan of is 100x better than any of the bands that played last year?

We all know that there might be some given bands that may make their repeat performances at VI but still, try not to be so rude to Glenn in his own house.

Ed
BINGO.. well put my good man

They are playing that Wednesday night too in NYC where I live so after I see them here in NYC, I'll be flying down to ProgPower that weekend. So happy that Therion is doing ProgPower. They are a great band and unless you've listen to every CD of theirs, they're not what you'll expect. Every album is different with them. If you are skepticle, you should really give them a chance. You might be surprised. I know many people who said that they didn't like Therion at first but loved them after seeing them live.

Pellaz said:
THAT'd be insanely cool!

One bummer about Therion and their schedule....they're scheduled to play Thursday and Friday night elsewhere (Friday night at the infamous Jaxx in Virginia), so unfortunately, they'll be a "Hi, we're here on Saturday" band. Hope there's time for an autographing session.

I think there's a possibility they might be the first band arriving in a tour-bus ever to play ProgPower. (!) I can't think of anyone else doing this; although some bands have been conducting tours in connection with ProgPower, they've been limited or ad-hoc tours.

yardleybates said:
OK I'm officially confused, I'm checking out the Therion site and I don't see any mention of a female. I listened to a couple samples and no female voice, either. What am I missing?
Female vocals are a near constant w/ Therion releases. Maybe not every song, but a lot. One gal from, oh crap brainfart ummm... EDGE OF SANITY (whew) was singing for them at one time or still is. They are NOT a Nightwish type band for those of you thinking that may be it.

Metal + Choir + classical elements + male & female vocals = THERION

I drive around cranking Therion all the time, 90% of what they're singing about I have no clue because the music w/ the choirs is so damn cool I forget to pay attention most of the time. I suppose I'll have to sit down w/ some lyric sheets one day and really imemrse myself.

tattooedsean666 said:
please opinions are like various parts of our bodies, we all have them. Last year was awesome even if it didn't meet up to your standards
:Smug: :Smug:
And so you should be able to go out of your way to understand that even though 'last year was awesome', that is still merely an opinion. I'm glad you had fun, however, aside from seeing old friends who I don't get to see outside of the festival very often, it was a waste of my $95 and 35 hour drive. I'm not under the impression that you can please all of the people all of the time. I absolutely was blown away by the PPIV lineup. However, V was just.. shitty.

Sorry, but if Glenn has a problem with my voicing my displeasure, than I'm SURE he can more than speak for himself. Critisizm is the only way to fix things and make them better, so you've gotta take the good with the bad. Otherwise, you all sound like this:

OMG D00D WTF? LINKIN PARK IS TEH BESTAST BAND BAD ASSES EVAR AND LIKE IF YOU HATE THEM THEN U R A STOOPED N00B LOL STFU U HAVE NO TALANT CHESTER IS HOT!!. :hotjump::loco::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:o_Oo_O:tickled::cool::ill::hotjump::loco:

=\

I am glad to see that Therion is confirmed. Maybe they'll be a bit defiant and strictly only play material from their first few albums ... :Spin:

Also, hello to you Nailz, I believe I know you from somewhere else ... :wave:

Sorry Nailz but you are in the absolute minority if you think that PP5 was shitty. I'm amazed that anyone would attend if the bands were not to their liking. I thought it was awesome and most of the bands blew me away. I'd hate to hear your opinions on this years lineup.

nailz said:
Sorry, but if Glenn has a problem with my voicing my displeasure, than I'm SURE he can more than speak for himself. Critisizm is the only way to fix things and make them better, so you've gotta take the good with the bad.

\
Nailz is free to critique the lineup any way he sees fit. Yes, it is rude in my own house, but that is his perogative. However, I do not see this as a "good with the bad" situation. If there is a problem with the festival in the way it is run or a specific situation that needs to be addressed, then he has my full attention. Otherwise, I honestly don't give a shit. He, along with anyone, else has the right to show their displeasure by not buying a ticket.

As long as the show continues to sells out, a handful of people not happy with the lineup is the least of my concerns.

Glenn H.