First CDS

Fred B

Feb 12, 2005
Just curious.. ... I notice there are some Old Geezers like myself here who remember foundly the old vinyl days before CDS. Wondering, when you guys finally got your CD players and stood in front of your hundereds, maybe thousands of rock records, what was the first CD purchase you made. When i finally got my CD player It was Van halen 1 and Michael Schenker Group ll to start my collection off. It was like hearing ON and On for the first time it was a cool experiance

I just remember I got my first CD when I only bought vinyls and I thought CD was a stupid luxury. It was Rainbow "Straight Between The Eyes", original 1982 Polygram issue and I still have it of course.
Then it wasn't until 1990 when sadly vinyl was dissapearing here and I was forced to get into CD, being Judas Priest "Painkiller" the first.
Few years afterward I was converting my vinyl collection into CD and hasn't stop since.

I got CD player in 1992 a beautiful Technics SL-PG100 which I'm using right now for recording my tapes :D, incredible reliable machine.

The first cd player I got was about 1987. My uncle owned a Radio Shack so he gave my dad a good deal on one for me for X-mas. The first cd was Robert Cray - Strong Persuader. There was not too much to choose from on cd back then. I still remember picking up older metal albums as they were being released on disc and being soooo happy that things like "Shout At The Devil" were finaly on cd... :lol:

I was a late comer in the cd scene. My first cds I bought were at the Px in Pirmasens
Germany while I was in the Army and they were. TSOL greatest hits (I forgot the
real title), Venom's Calm Before The Storm and Helloween's The Keeper Of The Seven
Keys 1 and 2 in 88 and 89 respectively. Shit I dont know how many cd's I have I lost
count!

I was a cassette-era kid, but my first CD was a Muddy Waters cd in 1989 or so... I was in my "checking out the old-school blues" period at the time. I do have a ton of cassettes that I have no ability (or real desire) to play any more, since i don't own a tape deck at the moment.

I didn´t get my CD player until 1992. The first CDs I got were from my father who bought me a few as part of the present for my school graduation. I think they were: METALLICA, RATT, Mozart and QUEEN.

Don't remember when I exactly bougth a CD player...I do remember the first CD I had was Leatherwolf. I heard those early CD's now even are becoming collectable, time moves fast !!! ....

Fred B said:
Just curious.. ... I notice there are some Old Geezers like myself here who remember foundly the old vinyl days before CDS. Wondering, when you guys finally got your CD players and stood in front of your hundereds, maybe thousands of rock records, what was the first CD purchase you made. When i finally got my CD player It was Van halen 1 and Michael Schenker Group ll to start my collection off. It was like hearing ON and On for the first time it was a cool experiance

The Dances With Wolves Soundtrack.

I bought my first cd player in 1987. The first cds to go with it? Anthrax-Fist full of Metal and Metallica-Kill 'em All.

I got my CD-player in late 1986 (and I still have got it, i.e. it´s about half my age now). My first CD was Metallica´s "Master Of Puppets" which I got in December 1986. (I had already bought the vinyl-version immediately after its release in March 1986.) My second CD was Helloween´s "Keeper Of The Seven Keys I" in March ´87 - it was released on vinyl and CD at the same time - , followed by Latin Quarter´s "Mick And Caroline" (one of the very few non-metal albums I listened to way back then) and Warlock´s "Triumph And Agony". Even though CDs cost about twice as much as vinyl albums (way back then - and prices didn´t decrease in spite of what you were told), I´d probably have bought much more CDs then, if more of those albums I was interested in had been released on CD. (I bought some "classics" like "The Spectre Within", "Awaken The Guardian", "Ride The Lightning", "Walls Of Jericho", "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" and "A Tribute To Insanity" some years later again when they got released on CD.) However, already in 1988, I bought more CDs than vinyl albums. And since 1993 I haven´t bought any new albums on vinyl anymore, also due to the fact that they simply weren´t available anymore.

I think it was about 91 when I went to CDs. I had lots of cassetees because of the portable convenience, but I preferred LPs. I couldn't tell you what my first CD was. It wasn't really important to me. It was simply another format to listen to music.

Bryant

I remember all my firsts:

First LP - Kiss - Alive II

First Cassette - AC/DC - For Those About to Rock...

First CD - Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

I remember my first lp's were Kiss Double Platinum and Cheap Trick's Live At Budokan.
And my first cassettes were Ratt's Out Of The Cellar and Dokken's Tooth And Nail
Hahahaha! I was into that big hair metal too when I was young!

ElectricWiz said:
I remember all my firsts:

First LP - Kiss - Alive II

First Cassette - AC/DC - For Those About to Rock...

First CD - Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

My first LP was Kiss Alive II also :headbang:
I still have the tatoos that came with it :loco:

Ah great thread, and good question. I think I made the move to CDs (after my stubborn CASSETTES FOREVER phase) around 94-ish. I had made a list of cassettes that were on my top list to replace. Some that I recall were:

Malice - License to Kill
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel (the thing that sucked with getting this on CD is it doesn't have the original cover that appeared on the cassette!)
My Dokken collection of course!
Crimsom Glory - S/T and Transcendence
King Diamond - THEM
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, No Exit, Perfect Symmetry
Sword - Metalized
TNT - Knights of the New Thunder
one biggie was Fate - S/T man that was a tough one!
Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite

There were a lot more but those come to find quickly. Heck I still have my 1,100+ cassettes! I have a few vinyl, most notably a band most have never heard of called NINJA! (HAH!) Heavy Metal Ninja's recording an album...now you've heard it all folks!

Hmmm first cd ... That was Ratt - Out of the Cellar ... its still one of my all time favorites .. that was a very Progrerssive album ... yaknow for a hair band :p my second was Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden ..... Nowadays I cant even begin to count how many cds I have its a shitload! ... But I to still have several thousand cassettes and hell I still buy em to this day ... sometimes nothing beats good metal at dirt cheap prices!

I think I got my first cd player when I was 11, damn that was 11 years ago. I think my first cds were "Kerplunk" by Green Day and "You Might Be A Redneck" by Jeff Foxworthy. I really can't remember any other cds that I got shortly after that.