First COB song you heard? And from where?

Harleyy

smudged corpse paint
May 15, 2018
Don't shit on me but first COB song I heard was Done With Everything, Die for Nothing from Guitar Hero 5.

It's actually a really interesting question I asked myself not so long ago and it goes quite a long way back, but I remember it perfectly :
My step-brother and I would go to our city's mediatheque (it's like library but also with movies, music, games, etc...) to rent out cd-s of known and unknown bands. At that time, I was into the whole Sum41 shit (don't judge, please XD) and my step-brother was into metal. So one day in 2004 (AYDY hadn't been released yet), he rented out this weird blue album with a reaper on it (Follow the reaper, obviously) and after listening to it on his own, he came to me like "Charlie! Charlie! You have to check this out, it's amazing!" and he made me listen to 2 songs "Hate me!" and "Children of decadence". For both of them my reaction was "Wow, what an introduction! But.... But what's wrong with this singer? Why is he screaming like that?". I actually hated it other than the introductions of both song and didn't listen to it for a year or two.
After completely forgetting about this band, I went back to the mediatheque and saw again this blue album. I remembered hating it, but I was like "Eh, what the heck, let's give it a second chance". And that's when I fell in love with Children of Bodom =) Liked all of it the second time, went back and rented out Something wild, Hatebreeder, Hatecrew deathroll & Are you dead yet? (which was out then) and I've been a huge fan since then =)

[FunFact] My step-brother also made me discover Cradle of Filth the same way, and now he doesn't listen to metal anymore but is into this Blink148/Sum41 type of sound XD

Reactions: Harleyy
I don't know which song was the first one unfortunately. It was far heavier than anything I'd listened up till then (Metallica and a little Iron Maiden) and I absolutely hated it. Most likely something from Blooddrunk as it was early 2009 back then. My very vague impression of the song implies it might have been Roadkill Morning, but logic tells it would have been Tie My Rope as the guy who introduced me to the band said it was his favorite song. No idea really.

Anyway, the second song I heard from them was likewise Done With Everything, Die For Nothing from the Guitar Hero 5 song list previews months before the game was released. It was only a brief piece of the main riff in the song (The one that comes after the intro), but I really liked it and went to listen to the entire song. Ended up liking the instrumental but didn't like the vocals. This resulted in me listening to 8-bit covers of the songs for the first month or so. Eventually I began moving over to the actual songs and getting used to the singing. A year or so later I even tried learning to do it myself (And this is something I've still not managed to learn :D )

Follow the Reaper in 2000 from a stereo system that sadly got broken years later whilst playing the same album inside our summer house sauna that was fuming with steam. I have many FTR albums, including the original, which is sprinkled with dried beverages, torn and fractured in restless nights forgotten in fogs of time.

Last edited:
It's actually a really interesting question I asked myself not so long ago and it goes quite a long way back, but I remember it perfectly :
My step-brother and I would go to our city's mediatheque (it's like library but also with movies, music, games, etc...) to rent out cd-s of known and unknown bands. At that time, I was into the whole Sum41 shit (don't judge, please XD) and my step-brother was into metal. So one day in 2004 (AYDY hadn't been released yet), he rented out this weird blue album with a reaper on it (Follow the reaper, obviously) and after listening to it on his own, he came to me like "Charlie! Charlie! You have to check this out, it's amazing!" and he made me listen to 2 songs "Hate me!" and "Children of decadence". For both of them my reaction was "Wow, what an introduction! But.... But what's wrong with this singer? Why is he screaming like that?". I actually hated it other than the introductions of both song and didn't listen to it for a year or two.
After completely forgetting about this band, I went back to the mediatheque and saw again this blue album. I remembered hating it, but I was like "Eh, what the heck, let's give it a second chance". And that's when I fell in love with Children of Bodom =) Liked all of it the second time, went back and rented out Something wild, Hatebreeder, Hatecrew deathroll & Are you dead yet? (which was out then) and I've been a huge fan since then =)

[FunFact] My step-brother also made me discover Cradle of Filth the same way, and now he doesn't listen to metal anymore but is into this Blink148/Sum41 type of sound XD
Lmao its pretty ironic you guys swapped music tastes

I don't know which song was the first one unfortunately. It was far heavier than anything I'd listened up till then (Metallica and a little Iron Maiden) and I absolutely hated it. Most likely something from Blooddrunk as it was early 2009 back then. My very vague impression of the song implies it might have been Roadkill Morning, but logic tells it would have been Tie My Rope as the guy who introduced me to the band said it was his favorite song. No idea really.

Anyway, the second song I heard from them was likewise Done With Everything, Die For Nothing from the Guitar Hero 5 song list previews months before the game was released. It was only a brief piece of the main riff in the song (The one that comes after the intro), but I really liked it and went to listen to the entire song. Ended up liking the instrumental but didn't like the vocals. This resulted in me listening to 8-bit covers of the songs for the first month or so. Eventually I began moving over to the actual songs and getting used to the singing. A year or so later I even tried learning to do it myself (And this is something I've still not managed to learn :D )
Ah okay, I thought I was the only one who was semi introduced from GH5 (^O^)/ honestly I used to hate screamo too but I slowly got used to it.

Follow the Reaper in 2000 from a stereo system that sadly got broken years later whilst playing the same album inside our summer house sauna that was fuming with steam. I have many FTR albums, including the original, which is sprinkled with dried beverages, torn and fractured in restless nights forgotten in fogs of time. That original was even stolen by my first gf once and once held as mortgage by a crazy fucker who threatened to give it away at the street.
I'm sorry you got your stuff stolen /:

The first song I heard was Hellhounds On My Trail. Blooddrunk had just come out and I was really into Nightwish at the time so my brother was trying to get me into heavier bands because he was really into death metal at the time. I had a sony walkman mp3 player and my brother would save his favorites in there so I would start listening too. He fuckin hated and still hates COB but he thought it would work as a "portal" for me to death metal and black metal.
So one night I couldn't sleep and I was looking through the music library and I thought the album cover looked cool. And Alexi had been on the cover of Suosikki that month so the band name caught my eye.
I wouldn't listen to any other bands for a while after that because I was so in love :D

Unfortunately I discovered them pretty late, in 2015. Saw them live in 2014 with Metallica, and didn't even pay attention to them. One year later, I saw on YouTube that EMGtv video of Alexi playing Not My Funeral, and said let's see what I had missed in that concert, and instantly fell in love with that melody around 1:20, and since then I always hated the fact that I didn't even look at them live. I think I liked it because of it's similarity with that GTA theme song, the game of my childhood haha. Since then, it's been my favorite band.
GTA song for reference: at 1:15

First heard Angels Don't Kill around 2007 or early 2008 in the time when Chaos Ridden Years DVD was fresh still, I actually didn't like it at all :rofl: it still one of my least favorite Bodom songs...I first saw the album version of song on youtube while searching out for bands, then I wanted to see live because guitar solo was the only part I felt was awesome...then I saw the dvd version and I thought meh, he changed it live, he can't play it...hahah. And back then I thought they were Swedish, cause they played in Stockholm and they had many fans there :rofl: Later that year Blooddrunk came out, I didn't like it at all...which is funny, cause now I think it is their last good album! Then a year later or so, I first heard Hate Me! and I just fell in love...and then I asked friends which band is this? And one of them said it's Children Of Bodom, then I thought wow, this sounds so much more better...then later I went home and found Every Time I Die video on youtube and I loved it even more than Hate Me. I soon downloaded whole album and that is how I started, first with blue, then with green album...nowadays I even like HCDR to some extent hahah.

The first one I heard was their Bed of Nails cover In 2005 (?) which I thothou was pretty cool.
Forgot about them until the release of Blooddrunk and only then did I start to check them out

Last edited:
I was about 14 and I had just been getting into heavy metal. I remember starting off with Iron Maiden and shit like that. My friend and I decided to download a bunch of random bands and see what we'd like and COB was one of them.
First song I ever listened to was Lake Bodom live in Tokyo. I didn't appreciate it too much at first. Went back to it a few months later and became aboslutely addicated. I started burning through they're whole discography on repeat every single day on my way to and from high school.
One year later I got my first guitar

I must've been 14 (around 2010) or so when my older brother first bought the Hate Crew Deathroll CD... I was already into stuff like Megadeth and Slayer so I was like cool, let me know what you think of it and I'll have a listen later on. So, one day, I remember coming home from school and all I heard was this amazing new kind of metal I never heard of. I rushed down to the basement and was like "What are you listening to?!" And he said, "Oh, it's Children of Bodom! They sound great, don't they?" That song ended up being Sixpounder... So I sat down watching him play Zelda: Twilight Princess as we blasted the entire CD :) good memories!

It was in 2012, I was 17. My cousin had linked "Kissing the Shadows" on his Facebook page. I had never heard anything like it before! I remembered that I loved the album cover and I would listen to the song for days and days on repeat and I still do. That day I also decided to start playing guitar.