First Impressions (dont read if you dont wanna hear about CotE)

i honestly disliked this album at first. i thought it was pretentious as hell and masturbatory.

but second impressions over and now i think that CotE is quite possibly one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard. it's more than music. i like how it's always sort of "implying" a straightforward melody, and how the emotions are kind of carried in the subtle modulations between the segments in the song rather than within the segments in the song; i like how the songs tease with a wide myriad of textural "somethings" in the background; these "somethings" create an exotic accoustic world, it's poetry and wondrously 3-dimensional accoustic art. i never knew musicians could be artists "that" way.

anyway, i don't want to be idiot with my rants. one thing i'm sure of. this is a definite "headphones" album. and it's nothing like previous motw, and nothing like most music period. as much as i think it's wonderful with the potential to grow and become a part of me, this album has an extremely limited appeal and that's unfortunate - very few people will appreciate it - especially in metal circles. this album is still PRETENTIOUS as FUCK but in a pioneeringly good way, and i'm actually thankful for it. i mean thank you for being artists. it's been a long time since i've felt inspired on an "anthropological" level. so this means a lot. in retrospect, i think the name change was appropriate. you guys hatched out of something. the music is more transcendent, more "astral."

btw, i'd place the order of fave songs this way:

Marithon
Antique
Wayferer
Pitcher of Summer
Manifold Curiosity

:)

-- actually, though. i'm kind of missing the Byron element in the music. it would have been nice to have his heavier growls atmospherically pluming the background here and there as it does in Secret Song. but that's a personal quibble (?) on my side. congratulations on the awesome album.

thanks for the kind words, xtokalon.

regarding byron's vocals, i can't actually imagine anywhere they'd fit on that record, could you name a spot you thought they might work?

We played the entire thing at work again tonight... my boss says its the last time he is gonna do it, cause he doesnt think people can tolerate the really crazy moments (for instance the end of The Manifold Curiosity)... The album has also been moved to classical. After hearing the whole thing he sort of "got it" as well.

I am so glad you fellas pulled off that element of it. You talked big, but you really made it happen. (This after prolly my 15th listen or so, so I am pretty secure in it.)

OH , also our new employee (who looks just like Sisquo) really dug it. I think he said something along the lines of "Im gonna get this album, light some insence and just chill... cause its on another plane."

I'm gonna cave...I just got the album. Listened to most of the songs so far. First impression -> I'm not sure, this is almost what I expected and yet so different. It's so...ambient and abstract. There aren't very many heavy parts, and the vocals are a complete 180 from the double release. Toby's voice sounds SO much different now, maybe it's the production or something, but his voice is more like a new texture to the music as opposed to something carrying melody or standing out. It's like, the power of his voice has gone away a bit, but their emotion and sense of delicateness has increased. I think I like the somewhat different sounding vocals, but I'm not sure yet. Heh. I feel that way about the album so far, I'm...not sure.

Hehe, I've only listened once though. So don't take me seriously yet, I mean this. I'm gonna listen many more times and formulate a real opinion then. So far, I like it, but I don't quite get it. That's how I felt about Bath and Leaving at first as well. :cool:

Manifold confused me muchly the first time I heard it, but it's become one of my favorite parts of the album.

I have a feeling you guys might lose some of your old fans with this CD. But maybe you'll gain a bunch of new ones? Who knows. I want to write a big sappy paragraph about why I like this album but I HAVE TO GO TO CLASS.

I wouldn't necessarily consider "pretentious" to mean that the promise isn't delivered, just that the ideas behind it are bigger than the result. or that you'd have to read a manifesto before listening or something.

well, "ostentatious" is the denotation--i said the connotation, which is what's important. "pretentious" does not connote simply high ambitions; it connotes a failure to follow through, ideas bigger than the execution (as avi said).

for example, "don't like" is literally neutral, but its connotation is negative unless you devote a couple of sentences explaining you meant it neutrally and literally every time you use it.