First Infected Nations Review

I'm looking at the time between now and the time it is released like a period of Masturbation.

As time goes on, it starts feeling more intense, the whole "OH SHIT HERE IT COMES!!!" moment, and then "GUHHHHOOOOHHHHH yeahhhhhh...." And that's the moment when I buy the album and listen to it.

im actually shocked that the main forum users havent downloaded the album yet. im genuinely surprised, although comparing waiting for an evile album to come out to wanking is mad. if anything its like taking a big dump thats just hiding up there.... waiting to pop out and say yo.

hopefully the album makes a big splash.

although in that case, same as the wanking.

I've downloaded it, still trying to find another site to post my review on. You know full well I'll buy it haha.

However, I must say that I'm exceptionally impressed. It wanks all over Enter the Grave's face then farts in it's general direction. Everything is justified, every song sounds dfferent and everyone is performing at 110%. My only fault with it is that it ends.

I downloaded it, and I must confess to not being quite as positive as Dave is... yet. But we'll see with time... It certainly isn't the most instant album I've ever heard, though in the long run that can often make for a more rewarding album. The production is kind of monochrome which sometimes makes the songs feel quite similar, though the same is true of many albums which I end up loving after many listens. I think it's definitely more mature than Enter the Grave, and the solos are incredible. The vocal lines are more unpredictable this time round also. The bass seems very quiet though... Really I can't give you much more than that, need to give it many listens and wait for the dust to settle. Also the leak is full of annoying bleeps so I can't wait to get the real version... I have preordered on two formats so don't worry, you'll get your cash twice over :)

And Ol... I'm sorry.

Ol told me that its somewhat of a grower, it took me two lists to fully appreciate it. There are odd bits here and there that could've been done better but aside from that, its brilliant.

I downloaded it, and I must confess to not being quite as positive as Dave is... yet. But we'll see with time... It certainly isn't the most instant album I've ever heard, though in the long run that can often make for a more rewarding album. The production is kind of monochrome which sometimes makes the songs feel quite similar, though the same is true of many albums which I end up loving after many listens. I think it's definitely more mature than Enter the Grave, and the solos are incredible. The vocal lines are more unpredictable this time round also. The bass seems very quiet though... Really I can't give you much more than that, need to give it many listens and wait for the dust to settle. Also the leak is full of annoying bleeps so I can't wait to get the real version... I have preordered on two formats so don't worry, you'll get your cash twice over :)

And Ol... I'm sorry.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one! :lol:

Yeah... It's hard to explain but when I first heard Armoured Assault on the myspace I was like "OH DAMN BRO, MUST HEAR MORE" but I don't get that vibe at all from this album, I found myself just listening to it not enjoying it. There are some awesome riffs to be had that made me think "DAMN BRO" but not a full song.

Here comes the B word, I found it boring at points, the vocals sound weird and different from ETG, is there some kind of effect added on to it? It doesn't sound so natural. The songs didn't sound that much different from each other, I can't tell my "Time no more" from my "Devoid of thought"s. I couldn't tell you about the last two songs because I couldn't be bothered to be honest and there was Blind Guardian to be had instead...

Having said that it's obviously a very good album and I'm sure people will love it, I imagine it'll be a grower for most. But... I'll stick with Enter The Grave, which is one of my favourite albums EVER. Sorry guys. :erk:

I can hear the rustling of pitch forks and torches already. :lol:

mob-angry.gif

haha of course the vocals are different, i was shit at using my voice then, i just screamed as loud as i could into a mic. now i've had some training and i've started to figure out what to do and what not to do... and i never ever want to sound like on ETG ever again.

but nah theres no effects on vocals, other than standard issue reverb and delay, and theyre double tracked.

the vocals on ETG were shit really, i'm glad they're not like that. hey if you prefer armoured assault to the new stuff and the old vocals then that fully explains why you don't find the new stuff as appealing, and it shows what you expect from this band, but i bet that if we would have kept EVERYTHING the same as ETG we would be getting slammed by everyone for not trying to do anything different and just copying the retro thrash template again.... you can't win either way SO...

i'm happier we're getting slammed for trying something different than before, instead of getting slammed for not trying. even though it hasnt been released yet haha.

I hope you realise that I'm not slamming you, and I certainly didn't mean to seem overly negative... On the vocals thing, I have to say that as a singer you always hate anything you recorded ages ago and think you couldn't sing then... however the vocals on ETG are grand and you just over-analyse it and spot every flaw because you can't be objective about it because it's you. I bet when you do your 3rd album you knock the vocals on this one. But in reality they're great on both.

don't worry mate i'm not being overly protective or anything, i'm not into arguing over music. nothing anyone says can change my opinion on the album so it's alright.... and i don't want to try and change anyone's opinions on the album.....

everything is joy, peoples opinons are their own.

we plan to learn from each album we do, to rip out what doesn't work in retrospect, and to utilise what does work until we know exactly what we're doing. I think with this we just wanted to show that we are capable of writing decent music, not just 80's worship, and that we aren't a throwaway retro band, that we're worth keeping an eye on....

Oh thank god I'm not the only one! :lol:

Yeah... It's hard to explain but when I first heard Armoured Assault on the myspace I was like "OH DAMN BRO, MUST HEAR MORE" but I don't get that vibe at all from this album, I found myself just listening to it not enjoying it. There are some awesome riffs to be had that made me think "DAMN BRO" but not a full song.

Here comes the B word, I found it boring at points, the vocals sound weird and different from ETG, is there some kind of effect added on to it? It doesn't sound so natural. The songs didn't sound that much different from each other, I can't tell my "Time no more" from my "Devoid of thought"s. I couldn't tell you about the last two songs because I couldn't be bothered to be honest and there was Blind Guardian to be had instead...

Having said that it's obviously a very good album and I'm sure people will love it, I imagine it'll be a grower for most. But... I'll stick with Enter The Grave, which is one of my favourite albums EVER. Sorry guys. :erk:

I can hear the rustling of pitch forks and torches already. :lol:

mob-angry.gif
At least he's honest :)

haha exactly, honesty is what i respect. hence "devoid of thought"....

(see now i've connected what he said to one of the songs on the album that he thinks is THE WORST ALBUM EVER MADE it will drive him mad)

haha.

More reviews :kickass:
http://www.ragnarokradio.co.uk/2009/09/evile-infected-nations.html
In this age of a rapidly accelerating music industry, the inevitable backlash to a burgeoning genre (or in this case, genre revival) seems to occur almost instantly. As soon as the ‘New Wave of Thrash’ grabbed metal press headlines in 2007, cynics and friendless naysayers were waiting to moan about bands “offering nothing new” or “cynically cashing-in on nostalgia”. Two years is a long time in the music world and it’s make or break time for many of this resurgence’s highly-publicised acts. Can they offer more than a mere throwback fix or is it all just another fad?

Huddersfield thrashers Evile can pat themselves on their leather-clad backs knowing that they’ve accomplished the former in spades. Displaying vast improvement on virtually every front, this is a very different, more mature beast to the snarling young creature that made us ‘Enter The Grave’; more battle-hardened, no less aggressive but knowing when to unleash its arsenal more effectively than simply firing all guns at once.
Okay, it’s definitely not 100% cynic proof – some critics will undoubtedly moan joylessly about the inevitable Sepultura comparisons that arise (no pun intended) from the Michael Whelan artwork, the lyrical subjects of social decay and destruction and bleak, apocalyptic overtones in numbers like ‘Plague To End All Plagues’ and ‘Genocide’. Heck, Matt Drake even seems to be channelling the spirit of a young Max Cavalera on the title track. Listeners blessed with both functioning ears and brains however will notice that this is no cynical imitation, simply an improved progression as Drake’s vocals now contain more menace and amazingly, more melody than the thuggish chants heard on the debut.
If you’re the type who needs a simple tagline in order to recommend an album to a mate then ‘Infected Nations’ is “‘Beneath The Remains’ crossed with ‘…And Justice For All’” and any sensible thrasher knows that’s a winning recipe. With such astonishing progress displayed between only two full-lengths, it’s a wonder what advancements Evile will make on their next album. They have the potential to deliver a timeless thrash classic and while this album arguably isn’t quite it, it’s a huge steel-capped step in the right direction. Put down your Bullet For My Valentine CDs, find out what real British heavy metal is all about and I’ll see you in the pit!

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=14515&lang=en
The UK thrashers of Evile made a quite impression on me with their fantastic 2007 debut ‘Enter The Grave’ (the ‘All Hallow’s Eve’ Ep excluded). The furious old-school thrash on that album reveal a young and hungry band that had understood how thrash should real thrash is played and Evile even got the opportunity to share the stage with the likes of Megadeth, Exodus and Satyricon. I must admit that I was extremely curious about the new album, which will hit the stores at the end of September.

With the up-tempo title track that is filled with powerful, catchy Slayer riffs, screaming solos and variable tempos the album makes a good first impression and delivers a trusted sound. On the following ‘Now Demolition’ the band lowers speed heavily and it’s audible that the atmosphere of Slayer’s ‘South Of Heaven’ and ‘Seasons In The Abyss’, as well as Metallica’s ‘…And Justice For All’ were the most important inspirations. Unfortunately the band hardly accelerates afterwards and the bigger deal of the album contains of mid-tempo riffs. Of course I don’t mean that in a negative way, because these threatening riffs surly set a good atmosphere. But it is because of this and also because of the long arrangements that the songs have trouble to ignite. On top of that the bigger half of the album sounds like a lot of copy/paste work and makes an uninspired impression! Ok, there is some killer riffing there and the excellent musicianship is again present. But due to the copy/paste feel the new songs breathe, ‘Infected Nations’ lacks the enthusiasm and excitement ‘Enter The Grave’ emitted. At some points I also get the feeling that the band is trying too hard to approach their heroes Metallica. That’s a pity if you ask me, because although the debut album also didn’t contain a single original note, the album had a more self-input. And when the album is closed with and eleven minute instrumental that sticks out because of its dullness and lack of inspiration, one might ask whether the guys had enough time to compose.

Altogether ‘Infected Nations’ is a respectable thrash album from a bunch of very talented musicians. But there were the song writing falls short, ‘Infected Nations’ stays far behind the fantastic debut. That however doesn’t change the fact that this album still has enough to offer and satisfy the thrashers. But still a listening turn before purchase is recommended.
Rating: 75/100 (details)

http://imhotep.no/?did=9092015
UK thrashers return with their second full length after blitzing the world with their debut “Enter The Grave”, hitting the streets at a time when I believe the separation between lifetime acts and never had a chance groups is at critical mass. The 9 songs on “Infected Nations” differentiate themselves immediately because Evile took a risk in exploring more mid-tempo and harmonic terrain with tracks like “Nosophoros” and “Plague To End All Plagues” where the riffs cut at a slower, groove inducing tempo while still crunchy and drummer Ben Carter lays down flashy tom work only in small spurts, keeping the beats per minute at conventional, “For Whom The Bell Tolls” appeal. Don’t worry speed mongers - “Devoid Of Thought” pierces the sonic airwaves at Slayer meets Sepultura head banging mayhem for the opening riff and the closing merry-go-round guitar/drum syncopation made me feel like I was attending a public stoning.
Sadly, “Infected Nations” has a lot of material that just appears to be disjointed in its construction, almost like the latter day Exodus efforts during the early 90’s where you had a good part or two, but had to sit through a number of mediocre melodies, boring lyrics and derivative riffs- even though the soloing from Ol Drake contains great appeal for the shred-o-holic school of Friedman and Waters. “Metamorphosis” at 7:40 could have been looped off at the slow building instrumental beginning while “Hundred Wrathful Deities” in its 11 minute plus instrumental glory owes a hefty tip of inspiration to Metallica once again - tribal drumming, emotive dual guitars and a kitchen sink mentality with quieter interludes careening against progressive, off tempo workouts.
Producer Russ Russell isn’t to blame - as “Infected Nations” sonically sits with the best productions I’ve heard all year, and it’s not a throw back to the old, primitive thrash days. The title track surely will get the pit circles bloody and the strobe lights in full effect from the stage. Overall though, this album could have been so much more, and I hope they take more time to be critical with the construction of their next album, as you still have to write songs and not stop/start parts to make a permanent impact in metal - regardless of genre.

http://mrstu616.blogspot.com/2009/07/evile-infected-nations-cd-review.html
Evile's second album marks a genuine milestone in thrash as the band effortlessly ups the ante, propelling the UK thrash outfit into the big leagues.
On 'Infected Nations', Evile takes thrash metal's '80s blueprints - ripping riffs and shredding solos - but refines them into a wholly more ferocious and modern beast. Having undertaken touring stints with MEGADETH, EXODUS and big shows with MACHINE HEAD, the band emerged from the studio with a new-found sense of dynamics, maturity and bag-fulls of catchy-but-pounding songs. Still proud to call themselves thrash metal, Evile just raised the bar for their fellow new-schoolers to strive for.

Okay so album number one was a great album (I had to buy it twice, second time for the dvd) but it was more than a bit overshadowed by some serious "Slayer Worship", this time however they had been writing for sometime, matured and found a brilliant producer with Russ Russell (Napalm Death, Nemhain, Dimmu Borgir).

Kicking off with 'Infected Nation' its mellow intro soon gives way to some classy thrash and it soon becomes obvious that the band have found their own style and that Matt has had a revelation vocally and really comes into his own here.

'Now Demolition' moves along like part two of track one, it has the same groove.'Nosophoros' borders on speed metal and has some great guitar solo's in it, one to crack the neck live i think.
'Genocide' is the first mini epic coming in a 7 minutes 42 seconds, it's slow paced and a real "grower" (If that makes any sense) "These demons are only men" go the dark and well written lyrics.

'Plague To End All Plagues' is another mid paced headbanger punctuated by some evil chords.
'Devoid Of Thought' is pure early eighties thrash as is the next track.'Metamorphosis' has some great bass work running through it and is another 7 minute epic.

Finally we come to the awesome 11 minutes and 14 seconds of 'Hundred Wrathful Deities' some beautiful guitarwork leads us into slow almost doom like thrash, plenty of harmony guitar work and a few solos, but most surprisingly of all its an instrumentle!

A stunning and mature album and one which will stand the test of time for the next twenty years, as i believe Jimmy Frankles would say Brilllliaaannnntttt!

Total respect here as well to Earache who are releasing a 2 disc version to start with, thus not taking 2 lots of money off the fans, and thanks for the advanced copy.

Rating 10/10

For Fans Of : Slayer, Mutant, Exodus, Virus

http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/link/1/templateid/16806/tempidx/4/menuid/2
[6/10] What’s the old cliché of the rock business? You have forever to write your first album but six months to capture magic in a bottle for the follow-up? UK thrashers Evile hit the scene running with 2007’s Enter the Grave, receiving decent praise for their blend of Slayer, Metallica and Annihilator as well as classic Flemming Rasmussen rhythmic riff-heavy production values. Evile took 2008 to crisscross the European continent, opening for acts from Megadeth to Satyricon in preparation for its second offering, Infected Nations.

The first two songs “Infected Nation” and “Demolition” proceed with conventional speed parts or Metallica …And Justice for All-era up and down chord sweeps, rhythm guitarist Matt Drake roaring his lyrics much like the clearer James Hetfield/Warrel Dane melodies he reveres. “Nosophoros” allows Ol Drake a chance to show off his blitzkrieg machine gun fire finger solos and equally furious picking technique, certainly loving Jeff Waters and Marty Friedman while keeping things in a thrash manner.

What kills my enthusiasm for Infected Nations would be the longer, drawn out arrangements with too many mid-tempo parts that really sit in the world devoid of bite or excitement. It’s as if the second half of the album is more a collection of riffs put together with duct tape or paste rather than a seamless construct which dynamically keeps your interest from beginning to end. The worst offender would be the 11-minute-plus instrumental “Hundred Wrathful Deities,” a pitiful attempt to conjure up the classic Bay Area-meets-Metal Church instrumental sound which meanders into a boring yawn fest - the main riffs once again lifeless which makes the solo parts better off being on a Shrapnel or Inside Our offering.

Evile have ability and talent, unfortunately the songwriting for Infected Nations relegates them down a notch from many of their US compatriots.

It's the difficult 2nd album syndrome that all bands suffer from

For me the most important thing is that you should never sound the same on all albums cos if you do people will get bored and say that you guys are a one trick pony

It appears from the reviews that it is a good 2nd album which can only give you guys inspiration to push the boundries further

Look at SLAYER for example, look at what they did for their 3rd album which we all know is herald as the greatest thrash/extreme metal album of all time, yep it's Reign In Blood yet their 1st 2 albums were warmly recieved

So for Evile the most important thing is the 3rd album, get it right, who knows where you guys could go, headlining the Wacken festival or something.