First Single Announced!! and it's not forsaker

I think the positive press plus word of mouth will do the trick. "Opeth frontman loves new Katatonia album!!!" These new wave of metal fanz worship everything out of that man's mouth. It sells.
I've been pimping the hell out of them with success on the Metallica forums too.

I'm just waiting for the music video for "Day And Then The Shade" before I start promoting them on forums. Katatonia is the only band in this genre that I can think of who would have appeal even with some of the mainstream crowds. This album, along with TGCD sound very accessible for people (such as myself) who are not typically fond of this genre. Katatonia are a major exception and if they can just be promoted well, I could easily see them breaking through into the more mainstream crowd as well. Although I know most current fans would hate to see that happen. :erk:
Jack

faëthon;8655444 said:
I talked to Jonas last friday and he said that they haven't recorded anything more than the 11 tracks on the album + "Ashen", so the single will be delayed. Not released in the end of October, anyhow. ;-)
Lasse Hoile will direct the video.

have large respect Lasse Hoile (just look at my avatar) but quite frankly i despise his music videos, escpecially porcelain heart.

I'm just waiting for the music video for "Day And Then The Shade" before I start promoting them on forums. Katatonia is the only band in this genre that I can think of who would have appeal even with some of the mainstream crowds. This album, along with TGCD sound very accessible for people (such as myself) who are not typically fond of this genre. Katatonia are a major exception and if they can just be promoted well, I could easily see them breaking through into the more mainstream crowd as well. Although I know most current fans would hate to see that happen. :erk:
Jack
dont like this. Opeth is becoming super popular with the mainstream. for the better? absolutly not. so many things are going wrong with Opeth these days, but mostly there newfound fanbase of casual listeners. Saints Row 2 soundtrack? closing the troll infested forums? people like you are killing my favorite bands.

dont like this. Opeth is becoming super popular with the mainstream. for the better? absolutly not. so many things are going wrong with Opeth these days, but mostly there newfound fanbase of casual listeners. Saints Row 2 soundtrack? closing the troll infested forums? people like you are killing my favorite bands.

That's the problem as bands get more popular. You want them to reach out to more people, but not the wrong people that might ruin them. But I disagree with FlawedCoil82 and don't think Katatonia can appeal to a more mainstream audience. Their songs aren't catchy enough, at least to me, to do that. They're a band that requires them to grow on you a bit.

people like you are killing my favorite bands.

So that is our fault? I introduce people to bands when they are still good. It isn't me who makes them change their sound. I was into Lacuna Coil when they released UNLEASHED MEMORIES and I promoted them heavily because I intended the band to keep making that same style of music I was promoting. Then they decided on their own to change their music to Linkin Park to fit the more mainstream crowd. That isn't part of the deal and I blame the bands for that. Being "mainstream" should not mean "dumbed down and simplified". My purpose for promoting Katatonia to more mainstream people is to let others hear their music who I feel would appreciate it AS IT IS when they are introduced to people. I also like to see a band be rewarded and gain new fans. But I do not like when a band becomes mainstream and then starts changing their sound. That is solely the band's fault for becoming greedy and using flawed logic by thinking "oh, well we need to change our music even though we got these fans in the first place by doing what we were doing originally".
Jack

My purpose for promoting Katatonia to more mainstream people is to let others hear their music who I feel would appreciate it AS IT IS when they are introduced to people.

Katatonia constantly strive to evolve their sound. One of the main reasons why they're so darn good.
Their songs aren't catchy enough, at least to me, to do that.

I don't agree with this one bit. A large portion of their songs are extremely catchy. They don't appeal to a more mainstream audience because of the depressive nature of their music.

This is to great! ill go line by line to explain then give my final synopsis
So that is our fault?(WHEN) I introduce people to bands when they are still good. It isn't me who makes them change their sound(you fail to relize it but yes you do). I was into Lacuna Coil when they released UNLEASHED MEMORIES and I promoted them heavily because I intended the band to keep making that same style of music I was promoting. Then they decided on their own to change their music to Linkin Park to fit the more mainstream crowd(this part i cant understand on your part, you love a band and their particular style, the band get many new fans with said release, including you, NOW you want them to please the fanbase they've created with this release? or do you expect them to expand their horizons even further to get more new fans who had to be linked to their back catalog through a more mainstream accesable release?. That isn't part of the deal and I blame the bands for that. Being "mainstream" should not mean "dumbed down and simplified". My purpose for promoting Katatonia to more mainstream people is to let others hear their music who I feel would appreciate it AS IT IS when they are introduced to people(Listen to yourself! people thought the same thing when promoting Brave Murder Day! dont you understand? Katatonia WILL change their sound, whether you want them to release TGCD 1, 1.5, etc. or not.). I also like to see a band be rewarded and gain new fans. But I do not like when a band becomes mainstream and then starts changing their sound. That is solely the band's fault for becoming greedy and using flawed logic by thinking "oh, well we need to change our music even though we got these fans in the first place by doing what we were doing originally".(this interpretation is absolutly dispicable. i dont know if you realize but some people probably said this about Katatonia when Discouraged Ones came out. they changed their style dramatically and all the doom fans who had been with them from the beggining thought they were selling out! in which case you are glad they changed there style, no? why then are you any better than the even NEWER fans that like an even more "simplified and dumbed down" Katatonia? this is what you are telling me!)
Jack

sorry if its hard to read but heres my point:
Bands change their sound. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but really this is a matter of opinion. Katatonia; this is a band that has drastacally changed so many times that its pretty much a signature quality. what it seems like you fail to realize is that you a just washing between phases, like so many before you, that thought anything after BMD was shit, or everthing after LFDGD is mediocre at best. it is undeniable that each release has brought a steady increase of fans, some stay and some go, and in this is the key. An increase in fans is not by any means a bad thing (imo) it is the wrong KIND of fans, in that they like certain album styles better than others, then, when not getting another record simalar to the last, fade from their direct fanbase. It is fans like most people in this forum, who KATATONIA, in its entirety, every release a perfect progression from the last into completly new territory, again and again. No band has EVER done a discography like theirs EVER but it is because they do this that they have such die hard fans! They are the perfect mold, meshing hundreds of genres into there own unique soundS throught the years. its made thousands pick out the parts they like and leave the ones the dont(this is you), but the complete KATATONIA is something that few understand and enjoy, but these few place Katatonia in their books as legends.

Any band adheres to this simple fact though, and NOT YOUR LAST QUOTE. "When you reach out to a style that is more acceptable by the mainstream media, you get a broader listener base (you got pulled by TGCD)" Now i think it is acceptable to say that MOST people who listen to more mainstream music are not quite as passonite for music as those who listen to more music that they willfully find themselves through search. an expansive fanbase of casual listeners such as the ones you are promoting to WILL BE THE DOOM OF KATATONIA, just like how you discribed "lacuna coil' trying to expand their fanbase, or Opeth finally giving in to damnation worshiping idiots. so to answer your first question, it is completely the fault of promoters like you that bands try to expand even further and gain fans who like music that is not like the style that got you into the band in the first place. so please, lay off the promoting, you are spreading the plague not the glory of your beloved band, it will be their DOOM (not in a good way)

Lyre's Harmony: I do understand your points and most of them are valid. But a couple things I want to address:

First, I don't believe in supporting albums by bands just because they are by a favorite band. If I do not like a certain album by a band I listen to, I should not be obligated to buy/support it. I like very particular styles in music. Katatonia didn't hit that style right on the head until TGCD and now NITND. Even though the albums are both different, there are undeniable similarities between the two that I can hear. Otherwise, I wouldn't be as excited for the new album if it was heading in a new direction I didn't like. The music (from what I can tell) has not really changed since LFDGD and was just as good back then as it is today. But Jonas's vocals were not near as appealing on the previous albums and that alone destroyed my interest in their past material. I'm not going to buy their old albums just because their last two have been masterpieces. As long as Jonas keeps growing (in a good way) vocally as he has been, then I will be a fan for as long as they exist. But if he drops the current style of singing in favor of something less appealing in the future, then I will not feel obligated to support it. If Jonas announced right now "I will not change from the style that I am currently doing" then I would be thrilled because (IMO) something "clicked" during the TGCD and he hit his peak and found something that truly works well. He has been getting closer every album but never hit it just right. To be honest, I cannot tell much (if any) difference in his singing style from TGCD to NITND and that is just fine with me, as this is the style I want to hear him keep doing. A band can be amazing instrumentally but if their vocalist sucks or isn't appealing to me then all the talent, growth and complexity in the world of the musicians cannot save the band. It's just an added bonus if the band is equally as good as the vocalist (which Katatonia currently is).

Secondly, I don't think that you or anyone else on here needs to worry about me promoting this band and suddenly making them "mainstream" anyways. I don't have much influence at all online and if after I start promoting them I gain them even 5 new fans, then I would be shocked. I just want to try to do my part to promote them and try to expand their fanbase because they are doing the style of music that I love and want to share it with others. That certainly doesn't mean that I want them to drop their dark, atmospheric and hauntingly beautiful music into any of the bands listed in my signature. Each band does a particular style better than any other and this currently is their's and I want them to keep it.
Jack

Lyre's Harmony: I do understand your points and most of them are valid. But a couple things I want to address:

First, I don't believe in supporting albums by bands just because they are by a favorite band. If I do not like a certain album by a band I listen to, I should not be obligated to buy/support it. I like very particular styles in music. Katatonia didn't hit that style right on the head until TGCD and now NITND. Even though the albums are both different, there are undeniable similarities between the two that I can hear. Otherwise, I wouldn't be as excited for the new album if it was heading in a new direction I didn't like. The music (from what I can tell) has not really changed since LFDGD and was just as good back then as it is today. But Jonas's vocals were not near as appealing on the previous albums and that alone destroyed my interest in their past material. I'm not going to buy their old albums just because their last two have been masterpieces. As long as Jonas keeps growing (in a good way) vocally as he has been, then I will be a fan for as long as they exist. But if he drops the current style of singing in favor of something less appealing in the future, then I will not feel obligated to support it. If Jonas announced right now "I will not change from the style that I am currently doing" then I would be thrilled because (IMO) something "clicked" during the TGCD and he hit his peak and found something that truly works well. He has been getting closer every album but never hit it just right. To be honest, I cannot tell much (if any) difference in his singing style from TGCD to NITND and that is just fine with me, as this is the style I want to hear him keep doing. A band can be amazing instrumentally but if their vocalist sucks or isn't appealing to me then all the talent, growth and complexity in the world of the musicians cannot save the band. It's just an added bonus if the band is equally as good as the vocalist (which Katatonia currently is).

Secondly, I don't think that you or anyone else on here needs to worry about me promoting this band and suddenly making them "mainstream" anyways. I don't have much influence at all online and if after I start promoting them I gain them even 5 new fans, then I would be shocked. I just want to try to do my part to promote them and try to expand their fanbase because they are doing the style of music that I love and want to share it with others. That certainly doesn't mean that I want them to drop their dark, atmospheric and hauntingly beautiful music into any of the bands listed in my signature. Each band does a particular style better than any other and this currently is their's and I want them to keep it.
Jack

You know iI can agree completely with this. While I like the majority if not all of their old stuff, I started with TGCD and went backwards. TGCD didn't really hit me at first. It took many listens and then one day it hit me like a ton of bricks. After listening to all of the older material I can say for myself, he hits that state of melancholy in his voice and you can really hear the emotion he puts in his vocals. This has been the first band that has ever sent goosebumps through my entire body.

What's wrong with Opeth these days? Watershed was great and their best album since Deliverance. And there's nothing at all wrong with them doing Saints Row 2. As far as the listeners, who gives a flying fuck who listens to them, as long as YOU like them and they keep making music you enjoy, who cares how many fans they have or who is listening to them? That's just stupid.

Opeth have been my favorite band since Morningrise first came out, when almost no one had heard of them, but I don't care that they're super popular now. I say good for them. They deserve it.

Same with Katatonia. These guys are great. They make some amazing music. They deserve so much more success than they have. Why wouldn't you want that for them?!?!?

And what the hells wrong with damnation? May not be the al bum to end all albums but intriguing in its own way.. meh, taste, I suppose.

Need to go round to the local metal shop and get NITND...

What's wrong with Opeth these days? Watershed was great and their best album since Deliverance. And there's nothing at all wrong with them doing Saints Row 2. As far as the listeners, who gives a flying fuck who listens to them, as long as YOU like them and they keep making music you enjoy, who cares how many fans they have or who is listening to them? That's just stupid.

Opeth have been my favorite band since Morningrise first came out, when almost no one had heard of them, but I don't care that they're super popular now. I say good for them. They deserve it.

Same with Katatonia. These guys are great. They make some amazing music. They deserve so much more success than they have. Why wouldn't you want that for them?!?!?

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED! let me start by saying that ghost reveries is probably my favorite album of all time. I agree with virtually nothing that you are saying. i am a long time opeth fan who got into them through Still Life, but besides the point, i DOES matter who listens to them. when i saw them on the GR tour, it was like seeing all my old friends who had also been to every show for like 5 years, but on the 2nd leg of the Watershed it was infested by little kids, and scene kids, but most of all.... kids. kids who are screaming "Hex Omega" and " Play "would?" cover!!" while we are calling out "TWILIGHT IS MY ROOOOOOBE!" and "BASTARD SON OF GOD!"

ya i have a major problem with newer opeth fans, especially the damnation obsessed ones who can stand anything else they do, yet always are looming around where ever Opeth are to be seen or talked about. I was at Progressive Nation 08 with a few friends one time and we were talking about MAYH in comparison to Still Life when some kid behind us randomly is like "I dont like anything Pre-Damnation, just cant stand the cookie moster vocals, he he." I about squashed im into a state of damnation after saying that but i merely told im to GTFO of hear then you little shit. all these "casual" fans and there wallets are what is making bands like Opeth stray farther and farther away from their roots in exchange for a more mainstream friendly sound in order to please many and piss of few. dont get me wrong, Damnation is legendary, but trying to compare Watershed with GR is laughable at best. GR is complition of everything they've ever done, it has a concept reflecting mid-old style, beautiful mellotronic passages brought by stephen wilson in new era opeth, and brutal chords and vox that made me think i was listening to Advent when i was actually listening to Beneath the Mire. Akerfeldt has turned into one of the biggist and most arrogant media whores ive ever seen, and the fact that he would let a song go on a gangster rap infested idiotic game like saints row is just proof that the "opeth excperience" will never be what it once was.

omg you are so arrogant to think that you're so superior compared to some other newer opeth fans :eek:

pretty much. not so much that newer opeth fans are inferior, just ones as ignorant as insulting things they've never even given a chance to hear, when its like the soundtrack to your LIFE

Please get over yourself. Why do you even care what other fans enjoy? They are fans and supporting the bands you like, as well.

its not because i want the band to be "supported" when i tell someone else about a band. try to understand where im coming from also, tell me there isnt a band you have liked most of your life that has not had its fanbase rapidly increase for the worse (MY OPINION) im hardly an arrogant person, and few things anger me more than this. and as i said, i belive an increase in "casual fans" impact the quality of music for the worse.

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED! let me start by saying that ghost reveries is probably my favorite album of all time. I agree with virtually nothing that you are saying. i am a long time opeth fan who got into them through Still Life, but besides the point, i DOES matter who listens to them. when i saw them on the GR tour, it was like seeing all my old friends who had also been to every show for like 5 years, but on the 2nd leg of the Watershed it was infested by little kids, and scene kids, but most of all.... kids. kids who are screaming "Hex Omega" and " Play "would?" cover!!" while we are calling out "TWILIGHT IS MY ROOOOOOBE!" and "BASTARD SON OF GOD!"

ya i have a major problem with newer opeth fans, especially the damnation obsessed ones who can stand anything else they do, yet always are looming around where ever Opeth are to be seen or talked about. I was at Progressive Nation 08 with a few friends one time and we were talking about MAYH in comparison to Still Life when some kid behind us randomly is like "I dont like anything Pre-Damnation, just cant stand the cookie moster vocals, he he." I about squashed im into a state of damnation after saying that but i merely told im to GTFO of hear then you little shit. all these "casual" fans and there wallets are what is making bands like Opeth stray farther and farther away from their roots in exchange for a more mainstream friendly sound in order to please many and piss of few. dont get me wrong, Damnation is legendary, but trying to compare Watershed with GR is laughable at best. GR is complition of everything they've ever done, it has a concept reflecting mid-old style, beautiful mellotronic passages brought by stephen wilson in new era opeth, and brutal chords and vox that made me think i was listening to Advent when i was actually listening to Beneath the Mire. Akerfeldt has turned into one of the biggist and most arrogant media whores ive ever seen, and the fact that he would let a song go on a gangster rap infested idiotic game like saints row is just proof that the "opeth excperience" will never be what it once was.

Oh so you are one of those dicks who call out for BLOODBATH songs at the Opeth concerts? How fucking nice towards the band ey? You are just one of many idiotic fucktard posers who just want the band for themselfs and hate it when the band they like stops being kvlt.

Wow you thought you were listening to "Advent" when you were listening to "Beneath The Mire"? Let me ask you, do you listen with your ass?

How can you even think that Mikael had anything to do with his songs ending up in Saints Row? I bet you think that Mikael stormed in to the gamedevelopers office and demanded that his new accecible popsong called "Ghost of Perdition" would be put into the game. Obviously someone of the gamemakers likes Opeth and decided to put them in the game or they contacted Roadrunner and bought a couple of songs from them.

Fuck off this forum have more retards that it can handle (me).