Floor Jansen's Open Letter to Fans

Respect is part of the "be cool" first paragraph.

I was being a bit cheeky with the second. Her situation is what it is and I would try to keep her out of "those" situations as much as possible, for everyone’s benefit. Someone might think it uncool for her to be absent but they'll be happier than if told "Don't touch me".

But why should she be "absent" from meeting with her fans? She already stated that she enjoys meeting fans if she isn't too tired. There is absolutely nothing wrong with setting boundaries. I've met Floor at least 4 times over the years and she's been very nice and accommodating with signing autographs and pictures with fans. Simone Simons gets the whole "bitch" rap too. I was told by one person how she "refused" to take a picture with a fan at their first PPUSA appearance and based on that he said she was a "stuck up bitch" but what if the person asking was drunk and obnoxious and she felt uncomfortable? When I sponsored Epica in 2012 and met her backstage she was very nice and we chatted and took photos with myself and the other sponsors. Of course I had zero expectations so I was more than happy with my experience meeting her. I found Floor's open message to be very polite and well stated and i respect her for approaching a difficult situation with class and dignity

Now let's do the Math. Brazilians are known for being *extremely* active in social media. We're also known for being online bullies. We're also dramatic and tend to make things bigger than they are. Add that to what I mentioned above. Boom.

Lucky for me, a lot of these traits have been left long behind. :)

So you're all girls? ;)

I do think that the cultural differences are part of it. If you listen to her talk, off the cuff, she also still searches for the "correct" words, so there's probably a spoken nuance that doesn't get properly translated, too. Combine that with trying to see EVERYONE who stops her, yeah...a breaking point will be hit. I get it.

I agree with the not touching thing 100%. Most people are gross and still cough into their hands and then reach to shake other people's hands and getting them sick. Being on tour you are tired and your immune system is weaker so getting sick is much easier. I can totally support her for not wanting people touching her.

I wish when people saw me they would not want to shake my hand...would have saved me so many times from getting sick.

So you're all girls? ;)

276905.jpg

:lol:

I agree with the not touching thing 100%. Most people are gross and still cough into their hands and then reach to shake other people's hands and getting them sick. Being on tour you are tired and your immune system is weaker so getting sick is much easier. I can totally support her for not wanting people touching her. I wish when people saw me they would not want to shake my hand...would have saved me so many times from getting sick.

Like anyone could resist touching you.

Like anyone could resist touching you.

true.

I read an article about lots of the creators of comic books now avoid going to a lot of conventions because of this same thing...they usually end up getting a flu bug and can't work for a few days and missing deadlines. Same goes for touring bands...one member gets sick and can't play. I am glad to see her post this....wish more people would address this.

It's interesting to me that I saw her come out to the Revamp merch booth and sign stuff for people (in Albuquerque) after her set. You had to pay a hundred bucks for VIP access to meet with Iced Earth. I didn't see anyone from Sabaton, but I didn't stay to see who came out after IE finished. But she was there. She was friendly. I don't remember anyone getting hugs. I saw a bunch of pictures taken, but not with people, just OF her and the band. All of which I'm fine with. She seems pretty awesome as a person. It sucks she had to write this.

+1. In Milwaukee, she hung around the Revamp merch table for the IE set and then long after the show was over and the venue was clearing out. She went above and beyond to make herself available for the fans, in my opinion.

I can't wait until her first studio effort w/ Nightwish is released!

Simone Simons on a similar topic, during interview posted recently:

In regards to your fans, I saw a couple of incidents on YouTube where fans were a bit too loving or close, mostly in Latin America. Sometimes they’d throw things on stage, or they’d chase your or hit you trying to hug you. Was it weird for you the first time you encountered that sort of energy?

Simone: It’s like a gigantic force. When they all come together you feel like a little mouse. But yeah, sometimes it gets a little too rough, where things end up thrown at me, or in my face. Our drummer accidentally threw a drum stick in my face once, but that wasn’t on purpose! [laughs] But it does happen, and I think that the fans often don’t realize that we’re just human; for one person all those people combined can be a bit scary. I know they mean well but it can be suffocating, and they can invade your privacy.

You have to give Floor credit. Being that uncomfortable with it, she could easily have decided to hide out backstage. Instead she does as much as she can to be accessible to her fans. I did notice on FB that she always has a table between her and whoever is getting the photograph with her.

I think all the female metal musicians need to go around in Pope-mobiles. :) This would solve every problem mentioned here so far.

All I can say is that I have spoken with Floor and have pictures with her from each time she performed at PPUSA. I saw the Revamp/Sabaton/IE show in San Francisco earlier this month with my son and happened to be at the Revamp merch booth when she came out and she signed the photos of she and I from PPUSA and I got another photo with her. Unfortunately, my son was not with me at the time. After the whole show was over, we were standing outside away from the bus crowd and Floor walked by in her street clothes. As my son had not got a pic with her, we asked if he could and she accomodated us just fine. In all cases, I/we did not touch her; did not put our arms around her like she was our best friend; did not talk to her incessently as if we were best friends or as if she should should remember our prior meetings, etc. Each time it was quick, to the point, task accomplished and the discussions brief. Each time I was very respectful of her. I have found Floor on each occasion to be guardedly friendly and extremely accomodating. I cannot ask for anything more.

But why should she be "absent" from meeting with her fans? She already stated that she enjoys meeting fans if she isn't too tired. There is absolutely nothing wrong with setting boundaries. I've met Floor at least 4 times over the years and she's been very nice and accommodating with signing autographs and pictures with fans. Simone Simons gets the whole "bitch" rap too. I was told by one person how she "refused" to take a picture with a fan at their first PPUSA appearance and based on that he said she was a "stuck up bitch" but what if the person asking was drunk and obnoxious and she felt uncomfortable? When I sponsored Epica in 2012 and met her backstage she was very nice and we chatted and took photos with myself and the other sponsors. Of course I had zero expectations so I was more than happy with my experience meeting her. I found Floor's open message to be very polite and well stated and i respect her for approaching a difficult situation with class and dignity

You answered your own question.

The flash thing is a pet peeve of mine. I will take photos, but I always make a point to remove the flash. I also don't like taking pics for the whole show. Usually I will take some the first few songs or so and then put it away.

Yeah - the picture taking and videoing at concerts is ridiculous. There's nothing more annoying than watching a great band through a sea of smartphone screens. I've gotten to the point where I'll start smacking arms if I can get away with it without starting a fight. Its most annoying when some moron behind you insists on using a flash, especially after you tell him that its actually making his/her picture worse than no flash and that its pissing off the band.

(Also... if everyone could learn to use the burst mode and auto focus that's on their smartphones, you can stop adjusting for 10 seconds for each picture. Thanks.)

I'm also in the same camp with touching. If we're friends? Shake hands, high five, whatever. I have pocket anti-bacterial with me. If I have no f'ing clue who you are, please don't molest me.