Folk Music (Empyrium, Tenhi, October Falls, The Max Johnson Band)

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So it's autumn (though it's still fucking 98 degrees), and I really, really want to check some of this stuff out. For real, this time.

Point me in the right direction please. Best starting point, and maybe a good representation of what this area of music has to offer.

Haha, "The Max Johnson band" :kickass: Yes, pull out some serious folk shit man or at least hook me up with some tracks you have made.

oh and why have I not heard of this: The title for the NOLTEM debut can now be
announced - "Runedance". The first release
from Ashes, expected late Winter, contains
the first demo plus the follow-up e.p., "The
Falls". All vocals will be handled by Erik
Grahn (from Sweden's Nasheim.)

Having heard a preview track from this, all we
can say is - stunning.

maybe I need to pay more attention, eh

what the fuck, first you're ranting on enslaved, which I was listening to earlier today, and now you're talking empyrium, which I just started listening to.

STOP STALKING ME.

(lolz)

MajestikMøøse said:
what the fuck, first you're ranting on enslaved, which I was listening to earlier today, and now you're talking empyrium, which I just started listening to.

STOP STALKING ME.

(lolz)

Yeah, that's my job... sex-kitten. [/drunk]

J. said:
oh and why have I not heard of this: The title for the NOLTEM debut can now be
announced - "Runedance". The first release
from Ashes, expected late Winter, contains
the first demo plus the follow-up e.p., "The
Falls". All vocals will be handled by Erik
Grahn (from Sweden's Nasheim.)

Having heard a preview track from this, all we
can say is - stunning.

maybe I need to pay more attention, eh

Do you require mp3s?

Edit: Just so everyone knows, the EP itself is actually called "Runedance" as well. I'll have him fix that sometime down the line...

no, no. I want to wait until the CD is released. am I correct in that this upcoming CD will contain all written and released songs from The MJ Band?

J. said:
no, no. I want to wait until the CD is released. am I correct in that this upcoming CD will contain all written and released songs from The MJ Band?

Yesssss sir.

Noltem - "Runedance" (ASH001 2005)

From "Hymn of the Wood" Demo 2005
I. Rivers Held in Ice
II. Hymn of the Wood
III. The Final Dawn
From "Runedance" EP 2005
IV. Windhall
V. Archaic Dissolve
VI. The Aspen Bleeds (Aspen Blør)

J. said:
excellent. I shall wait then. don't want none mp3's to ruin the experience.

Cheers man, I hope you like what you hear. I might be able to get you a copy for free, we'll see what happens.

I really reccomend you check out the mp3 on Noltem.tk , but do as you will!

empyrium - where at night the wood grouse plays

i mean god DAMN that's some good shit. you'd probably really dig on songs of moors and misty fields too, but that's one of their metal releases.

god damn nad said:
empyrium - where at night the wood grouse plays

i mean god DAMN that's some good shit. you'd probably really dig on songs of moors and misty fields too, but that's one of their metal releases.

I just read that "god DAMN nad" ...wtf o_O :p

Weiland is better!!!!

IoTS is correct, it's not actual "folk" music, but who cares.

Everyone already mentioned the best stuff but lets review.

Empyrium: where at night...(must) weiland (In another building then all others, everyone else is just trying to catch up)
Vali: forlatt
October falls : all
tenhi : kaun
For something really folky you can try In gowan ring. And some of stille volks stuff as well.

Then you can try some neo folk : orplid (recommend s/t) forseti (winzeit) of the wand and moon (nighttime nightrhymes) And if you want to go further back you can try sol invictus (death of the west, in the rain, the blade) You have others like death in june and circle 93 but you have to ask others about them.

Skyforger - Swordsong can't be arsed to look up the real Latvian title; not metal at all but still cool. I'm sure everyone would think they're boring though.

I've tried that Skyforger album, and it didn't do anything for me.

And I don't give a fuck what the the goddamn correct genre name is. That shit's old. Everyone knew what I meant.