For all the songs on TGOTE....

Would you rather listen to John or Joey sing the classics?

• Total voters
The album is a shocker. John Bush does a great job though, the problem lies (1) in the so-called modernisation/semi re-writes of songs and song parts and (2) the butchering of Spitz's solos.

1. Firstly, Anthrax eliminates/waters-down, one of their core components: speed. Gone are the staple 220+ bpm d beats, instead we have the "heavier" groove metal tempos of 190. Here's just a couple of examples (obviously this relates to the faster tunes):
Indians: AML: The main riff, verse, pre-chorus, chorus fluctuates between 216-224bpm/ GOTE: hovers around 194bpm.
Among the Living: Main riff, verse etc. ATL: 203 bpm GOTE: 185bpm
Caught in a Mosh: ALT: 215-224 GOTE: hovers around 195-200bpm
etc.
Also the pointless added 1 bar breaks in Caught in a Mosh before the fast bass lick, and the same happens before the intro drum rolls in Among the Living. These add fuck all to the song, they hinder. etc.

2. For the solos, see Keep it in the Family, Be All End All (ok, there is some sic jamming there), A.I.R and many others. :ill:

OMG really? lol. I've only listened to bits and pieces of the album, but ..ok.

The album is a shocker. John Bush does a great job though, the problem lies (1) in the so-called modernisation/semi re-writes of songs and song parts and (2) the butchering of Spitz's solos.

1. Firstly, Anthrax eliminates/waters-down, one of their core components: speed. Gone are the staple 220+ bpm d beats, instead we have the "heavier" groove metal tempos of 190. Here's just a couple of examples (obviously this relates to the faster tunes):
Indians: AML: The main riff, verse, pre-chorus, chorus fluctuates between 216-224bpm/ GOTE: hovers around 194bpm.
etc.
Also the pointless added 1 bar breaks in Caught in a Mosh before the fast bass lick, and the same happens before the intro drum rolls in Among the Living. These add fuck all to the song, they hinder. etc.

2. For the solos, see Keep it in the Family, Be All End All (ok, there is some sic jamming there), A.I.R and many others. :ill:

My God.....why are people so concerned about speed? Doesn't water down shit..........the slightly slower tempos makes them heaver and tighter, especially in a live setting, but like I said before, if you want muddy, good luck to you. How much time did you put into measuring the beats? Could've used that time praticing your drums to see if you could get up to 300bpm........

I love Bush's voice, but I can't listen to him sing Joey material, it doesn't work. His version of Madhouse is fucking deplorable. Maybe I would feel different if I hadn't heard the originals first.

etc.

Wow! I gotta listen again to the whole fucking album...

My God.....why are people so concerned about speed? Doesn't water down shit..........the slightly slower tempos makes them heaver and tighter, especially in a live setting, but like I said before, if you want muddy, good luck to you. How much time did you put into measuring the beats? Could've used that time praticing your drums to see if you could get up to 300bpm........

It does mean shit if its speed metal. And by the way, songs normally get played faster live. I like the speed the play in the NFV set! Scott Ian's frenetic right hand paml mutes? Come on, that's signature Thrax. I think you need more than 5 mins to practice playin dums at 300.

Imagine 'Kill yourself' at groove metal tempos. Lol

It does mean shit if its speed metal. And by the way, songs normally get played faster live. I like the speed the play in the NFV set! Scott Ian's frenetic right hand paml mutes? Come on, that's signature Thrax. I think you need more than 5 mins to practice playin dums at 300.

Imagine 'Kill yourself' at groove metal tempos. Lol

That was 1987 when they were significantly younger. So you're taking it out of context. The rythm guitars were overdubbed. Check Metal Thrashing Mad and NFL, no downpicking there when there should be. You see Danny downpicking by Scott's guitars are double tracked left and right so you don't even hear Dan's rythms, only leads. You can tell by the tone that's it's the same player. This is not a criticism, it sounds awesome. It was most likely nessesary.
BTW, I never mentioned SOD so stop comparing apples to oranges please.

Probably the slowest version of Caught In A Mosh I've heard was on the last year Sonisphere. It might have to do something with age.

That was 1987 when they were significantly younger. So you're taking it out of context. The rythm guitars were overdubbed. Check Metal Thrashing Mad and NFL, no downpicking there when there should be. You see Danny downpicking by Scott's guitars are double tracked left and right so you don't even hear Dan's rythms, only leads. You can tell by the tone that's it's the same player. This is not a criticism, it sounds awesome. It was most likely nessesary.
BTW, I never mentioned SOD so stop comparing apples to oranges please.

Anthrax and SOD apples and oranges? They are both fast. So it depends how you classify difference. The fact that my argument (slowing down speed metal waters it down) can be replicated over a number of different bands, strengthens my case. Imagine 'Fight Fire with Fire' a 30bpm slower. In fact, to further refute another of your inanities, Metallica plays the song faster NOW, than on RTL. Imagine, 'Necrophobic's groove metal doppelganger, haha! That would destroy the essence of the music. Same thing happens with the faster Anthrax catalogue

Anthrax and SOD apples and oranges? They are both fast. So it depends how you classify difference. The fact that my argument (slowing down speed metal waters it down) can be replicated over a number of different bands, strengthens my case. Imagine 'Fight Fire with Fire' a 30bpm slower. In fact, to further refute another of your inanities, Metallica plays the song faster NOW, than on RTL. Imagine, 'Necrophobic's groove metal doppelganger, haha! That would destroy the essence of the music. Same thing happens with the faster Anthrax catalogue

Agreed, Metallica do play faster now, but a lot is left out because of it. It takes away not adds to the song. Even with Speed Metal, sometimes a bit slower is better. Depends on the song. Like I said, things get lost in the mix and sometimes you can add more if slowed down just a tad, especially from a drums point of view. I think that I'm generally misunderstood. You love it faster, that's great. To me it depends on the band/song. OK?

Agreed, Metallica do play faster now, but a lot is left out because of it. It takes away not adds to the song. Even with Speed Metal, sometimes a bit slower is better. Depends on the song. Like I said, things get lost in the mix and sometimes you can add more if slowed down just a tad, especially from a drums point of view. I think that I'm generally misunderstood. You love it faster, that's great. To me it depends on the band/song. OK?

It's not all about speed for me, but TGOTE cries for more of it. Ok enjoy 'grooving' to a 180bpm cover of Necrophobic

This is getting quite comical.

Every other post is from Social Distortion, Manthatfollowshell, and the new formed Stompmosher all basically saying how the Bush era rules all. It good times for sure. Keep it up and maybe one day John Bush will come back.... not :kickass:

This is getting quite comical.

Every other post is from Social Distortion, Manthatfollowshell, and the new formed Stompmosher all basically saying how the Bush era rules all. It good times for sure. Keep it up and maybe one day John Bush will come back.... not :kickass:

I never ever said "Bush Era rules all" I've always said I like both. You have turned into a laughing stock :lol: