for dream threatre,

follow_the_reaper said:
Back to the very beginning of this thread. Metallica songs seem to be very easy to cover, almost every rock/metal band out there has done a Metallica cover. As long as they don't cover anything from St.Anger...I'd have to find the vocalist and murder them.

That's because they're a highly influential band.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
That's one of my favorite parts in Learning to Live. Funny thing is, I can hit those notes. I used to get drunk and do that part over and over to see if I could pull it off more than once.
It's my favourite part as well. Well, you can probably hit them in falsetto, not in full voice.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
I'll have to find out. I just woke up and I have to get ready for work so blah!

I don't believe it was falsetto.
Have you had proper lead singing classes for an extended period of time? If not -- trust me, it was falsetto.

Noble Viking said:
I wonder wht people like Timo Kotipelto or Tony Kakko would think of that video clip...
Well, Timo Kotipelto is a really good singer as well. His passaggio from chest & middle voice to head voice isn't as perfect as LaBrie's nor does he have such an extended upper range (then again, I'm not sure if he ever recorded his highest note) but his sense of tune is much better than LaBrie's.

As for Tony Kakko... I really like Sonata Arctica (except for the last album) but Tony Kakko would most probably shit his pants -- he has a fucking terrible technique (or should I say lack of technique?).

Hylian said:
Well, Timo Kotipelto is a really good singer as well. His passaggio from chest & middle voice to head voice isn't as perfect as LaBrie's nor does he have such an extended upper range (then again, I'm not sure if he ever recorded his highest note) but his sense of tune is much better than LaBrie's.

As for Tony Kakko... I really like Sonata Arctica (except for the last album) but Tony Kakko would most probably shit his pants -- he has a fucking terrible technique (or should I say lack of technique?).

I get what you're saying about Kotipelto. His singing is more of a falsetto type. Have you heard learning to fly or forever free? He hits some pretty high notes on those songs.

What's suprising about Kakko is that he knows his notes and how to compose, but why is their such a difference between his live vocals and the album's vocals? It must be some good production to make him sound like that on the cds because he does kind of suck live.

Noble Viking said:
I get what you're saying about Kotipelto. His singing is more of a falsetto type. Have you heard learning to fly or forever free? He hits some pretty high notes on those songs.
Well, it's not falsetto. Kotipelto is a much lighter tenor than LaBrie so his head voice has a softer quality to it; he's kind of like Michael Kiske. They also have different techniques -- Kotipelto makes an almost complete transition into head voice whereas LaBrie still keeps quite a bit of chest voice in the mix.

Noble Viking said:
What's surprising about Kakko is that he knows his notes and how to compose, but why is their such a difference between his live vocals and the album's vocals? It must be some good production to make him sound like that on the cds because he does kind of suck live.
Yeah, Kakko is a good songwriter, their first few albums were great. His problem is that he never really learned how to sing so his technique is way too sloppy. It's a lot easier to sing in a quiet, calm place where you can just try over and over again than on stage, with all the adrenalin and the crowd looking at you.
When recording in the studio, his main concern is getting that little specific section right; he can just record the song in small little sections and mix them together. When performing on stage his main concern is to make it through the entire song.

His live performances are a lot better now but, if you notice, he pretty much replaced all his higher notes with growls and belts. He can't hit them with a clean voice live since it requires a lot more breath support and technique.

I don't like them I find them to boring... Like on stage they just stand there. The most stage prescence comes from Portnoy for fuck sakes :lol:

I like Stream Of Consciousness though.

WithoutJudgementJeremy said:
Like on stage they just stand there. The most stage prescence comes from Portnoy for fuck sakes :lol:
Hahaha, I told a friend of mine the exact same thing a couple of days ago. It's sad when the drummer is the one who creates more activity and has more presence on stage.

I don't like them I find them to boring... Like on stage they just stand there. The most stage prescence comes from Portnoy for fuck sakes :lol:

I like Stream Of Consciousness though.

When you go to a Dream Theater show you don't go to headbang or to mosh, you go to wash the amazing virtuosity of the players. So there's a difference.... DT is not your ordinary 80s metal band.

Wings of a dream said:
When you go to a Dream Theater show you don't go to headbang or to mosh, you go to wash the amazing virtuosity of the players. So there's a difference.... DT is not your ordinary 80s metal band.
Yeah, that's definitely true. The band members could make a bit of an effort to create a better stage environment though, their stage presence is essentially nil.

Hylian said:
Yeah, that's definitely true. The band members could make a bit of an effort to create a better stage environment though, their stage presence is essentially nil.

Some guy almost died out here when Dream Theater played. I wasn't at the show but a friend who is a huge fan was. He said Portnoy threw his drum cover and some guy on the balcony tried to catch it and lost his footing and fell and he landed on a guy in the audience's neck who got paralyzed and almost died. Dude caught the drum cover and ran off after he fell didn't even try to help the guy up or nothing just ran for the exit.

-Rivfader- said:
Some guy almost died out here when Dream Theater played. I wasn't at the show but a friend who is a huge fan was. He said Portnoy threw his drum cover and some guy on the balcony tried to catch it and lost his footing and fell and he landed on a guy in the audience's neck who got paralyzed and almost died. Dude caught the drum cover and ran off after he fell didn't even try to help the guy up or nothing just ran for the exit.
Sheeesh, that definitely sucks.

Wings of a dream said:

I don't think they are amazing at all haha. I used to love them, learned a bunch of their songs and stuff.. but then i realized how boring they are. There are plenty of amazing players out there and bands with crazy virtuosity that can get a crowd on the go rather then just stand there:Spin:

I don't think they are amazing at all haha. I used to love them, learned a bunch of their songs and stuff.. but then i realized how boring they are. There are plenty of amazing players out there and bands with crazy virtuosity that can get a crowd on the go rather then just stand there:Spin:

you are absolutely right there are plenty of amazing players out there and bands with crazy virtuosity.
Dream Theater though its that kind of bands that you LISTEN with your EARS not eyes