For the Agalloch fans....

i bought the dvd (silence of forgotten landscapes) because i loved their stuff and was curious about their live performances, i watched it once......i didnt find it memorable.

but what morfiend says is true, this wasnt meant to be thier full time jobs, and i certainly couldnt play those songs :lol:

I'm going to the Portland show tomorrow and the Seattle show the next night. I've seen Agalloch 3-4 times now and they always put on a good show and spend plenty of time socializing with fans. They're not the most technically proficient live band but they also don't pretend to be. Agalloch isn't a full time band, these guys have full time jobs and aren't able to record and rehearse as much as a lot of other bands. They sound a lot better than most bands would under similar circumstances.

Thanks for that!

I'm a huge fan so I suppose I'm going to enjoy it regardless.

Anybody here going to the LA show?

The Portland show was really good last night! The new songs sounded great live, the only exception being an issue with the guitar sound at the beginning of the first song, which was the sound engineer's fault. I won't spoil the set-list unless somebody wants me to. Also, the band was selling a Marrow Of The Spirit box set that included a 7" with 2 unreleased tracks. For pictures, tracklisting etc check out the submission on discogs.com I made -

http://www.discogs.com/Agalloch-Marrow-Of-The-Spirit/release/2603777

I have no idea how limited this is but its not numbered so I'm assuming the band will release more copies after the tour. Anyways, I'm off to the Seattle show tonight.

The Portland show was really good last night! The new songs sounded great live, the only exception being an issue with the guitar sound at the beginning of the first song, which was the sound engineer's fault. I won't spoil the set-list unless somebody wants me to. Also, the band was selling a Marrow Of The Spirit box set that included a 7" with 2 unreleased tracks. For pictures, tracklisting etc check out the submission on discogs.com I made -

http://www.discogs.com/Agalloch-Marrow-Of-The-Spirit/release/2603777

I have no idea how limited this is but its not numbered so I'm assuming the band will release more copies after the tour. Anyways, I'm off to the Seattle show tonight.

Anymore info on the unreleased tracks? Are they outtakes from the new album sessions or something older?

Both tracks are instrumental. The Weight of Darkness is an outtake from the first track off of Marrow of the Spirit. Nihil Totem is a gorgeous track that is all piano. Nothing to get too excited about but a must for the die hards out there.

USA tour dates!! I'll be at the NOLA show. The thought of Agalloch playing in the French Quarter on a Friday night is totally bizarro-world.

03/17 – Austin, TX @ Barbarella Patio (as part of the Nanotear Showcase at SXSW)
03/18 – New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
03/19 – Atlanta, GA @ The Earl
03/20 – Raleigh, NC @ King’s Barcade
03/21 – Baltimore, MD @ The Sonar
03/22 – New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
03/23 – Cambridge, MA @ Middle East
03/24 – Montreal, QC @ TBA
03/25 – London, ON @ The Music Hall
03/26 – Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
03/27 – Chicago, IL @ Reggie’s Rock Club

I dont get whats the deal with Agalloch, they are a pretty ok band, but I dont know why people always relate them to Katatonia

Agreed on the latter. I really enjoy their music, but they don't have much in common with Katatonia at all.

Maybe not much anymore, but Pale Folklore definitely sounds a lot like older Katatonia. I remember when it had just came out, I had bought it and heard the Katatonia sound immediately. John has even stated that back then Katatonia was a big influence for them on that album. I think that's where the references comes from, but I agree they don't share much in common any longer.

Pale Folklore has two big influences; Katatonia (BMD) and Ulver (Bergtatt). What Agalloch did was take those sounds and added a bit more song complexity to the styles as well as infuse their own dynamics.

I'm a HUGE Agalloch fan, they are contenders with Katatonia for my #1 band of all time. I'll be at the Cleveland show - never saw em live before so I'm very excited.

Agalloch was the band that started me into "extreme" metal genre with the harsh vocals. The Mantle will always have a special place in my heart for that. :) I absolutely love Ashes as well, Pale Folklore is good too but I like Mantle/AATG better.

The new album is really good, but I still think Mantle and AATG are better. This one is more experimental, and I'm not digging the new drummer (or the blast beats) as much as the original guy, I really loved his drumming. Black Lake is far and away my favorite, I love the ambient part and the tortured sounding vocals that he does before it.

The new album is really good, but I still think Mantle and AATG are better. This one is more experimental, and I'm not digging the new drummer (or the blast beats) as much as the original guy, I really loved his drumming.

The original guy? John himself handled the drumming on all the band's early work up through The Mantle...so do you mean him? If so I would agree he did a better job than the "real" drummers who followed him. His playing is a bit sloppy at times, I'll admit, but he's fantastic at coming up with very tasteful parts that fit the music perfectly.

I think their new drummer Aesop is pretty good, and definitely a hell out of a lot better than Chris Greene who was on their Ashes Against The Grain album. Everything about that guy's drumming seemed amateurish and dull.

The original guy? John himself handled the drumming on all the band's early work up through The Mantle...so do you mean him? If so I would agree he did a better job than the "real" drummers who followed him. His playing is a bit sloppy at times, I'll admit, but he's fantastic at coming up with very tasteful parts that fit the music perfectly.

I think their new drummer Aesop is pretty good, and definitely a hell out of a lot better than Chris Greene who was on their Ashes Against The Grain album. Everything about that guy's drumming seemed amateurish and dull.

One of the problems was that the drums were poorly produced; I don't think his drumming was necessarily bad but he was definetly a post rock drummer. Aesop brings back a metal element in a stripped down and raw form. My favorite drumming is probably john himself on the Mantle.

I did not know that John did drums on those albums, cool! I really like the drumming on The Mantle, interesting.

I actually liked the drummer from AATG... more so than the new drummer at least. Then again I tend to like drummers that lay back a bit and don't go apeshit with fills all the time. Maybe I just need to give the new album more time, I've listened to the others a million times by now lol.