Opeth single The Devils' Orchard

Evolution is the name of the game for bands with longevity , If people want Blackwater Park go listen to it ... love all the old albums pretty sure I will love this one too :D

Some may call it evolution, but i will call it like it really is:

At some point in their careers, many bands change from being great at more extreme genres to being just above average at more radio friendly genres.

They often try to explain that the change is because they "wanted to explore new areas", but in my opinion the change is dictated by their greed for money (not that there is anything wrong with that) and their old limp dicks !

If AC/DC can do the same shit for almost 40 years now and earn huge amounts of cash, if Motorhead can do it... it is a proof that bands can stay loyal to their fans and be insanely successful.

Can you even imagine AC/DC going from the good old hard rock to that typical modern guitar driven pop ??? rotflmao !

btw the new Opeth song is kinda cool for what it is, but without some more asskicking material on the album i will not be interested enough to spend any cash on it.

MY favs from them are Orchid and Blackwater Park.

Mikael Akerfeldt is just a pure musical genius. I love this track and i cheated and listened to 2 other songs. I am looking forward to this like you would not believe. The musical talent in this band astounds me considering they lack of progressivness in the very early stuff. Watershed was the shit for me with this band. I think i may have a new fave band.

Honestly this song did it for me cause I am a HUGE fan of late 70s Jazz Fusion. This brought back soooo many memories.

Oh ya ,, and by the way did you guys actually LOOK at the WAV of the song on Sound Cloud? ..... I think what you guys are hearing and not liking is its not CRUSHED TO SHIT with the compression like today's music. Mikael totally rebelled against it and went total 70s vibe which I am totally fucking in love with. I LOVE how dynamic the songs is and how on some parts things bet buried in the mix. This was all done on purpose for effect, and I am sooo in love with it. I have not sopped looping this song for 2 days. I really love it that much.

The song is VERY king crimson, but I also get a HUGE Return to forever vibe from it, I dunno why as they were always just instrumental, but its there for me. I really cant stop this is SOOOOO good.

At some point in their careers, many bands change from being great at more extreme genres to being just above average at more radio friendly genres.

They often try to explain that the change is because they "wanted to explore new areas", but in my opinion the change is dictated by their greed for money (not that there is anything wrong with that) and their old limp dicks !

If AC/DC can do the same shit for almost 40 years now and earn huge amounts of cash, if Motorhead can do it... it is a proof that bands can stay loyal to their fans and be insanely successful.

Can you even imagine AC/DC going from the good old hard rock to that typical modern guitar driven pop ??? rotflmao !

Unloyal to fans yet motivated by greed for money? HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

First if you think this is going to get airplay in the US you are fucking crazy.....

2nd stop being a little winey bitch and realize that this is the music that influenced Mikael as a kid. Hes the same age as me (more or less) and I grew up listening to the same things. King Crimson, Uria Heap, Jetro Tull, Return To Forever, Stanley Jordan, Al Dimeola .... this is him playing the music hes loves since a child.

3rd, whats wrong? Dont like music with REAL vocals? Dont like that its not that cookie monster bullshit thats been infesting the music scene since the mid 80s?

This is REAL music!

This was one of those moments where I had a big post written out, and then just decided to delete what I wrote and not bother.
This thread is just all over the place, no idea how to respond to it.

LOL !

Yes i like their old material, the perfect mix of melodic death with prog and i want them to make more, so i can buy more of what i like.

If they don't - they can kiss my credit card good bye. OK they most probably don't care anyway... :D

Next time they will make a hip-hop album and receive an MTV award and you two will say how great it is for them to "evolve"...

Don't fight with the truth ! It will set you free !

OK i will stop semi-trolling-while-also-being-a-bit-serious now... ;)

Sounds a lot like King Crimson to me. I fucking love King Crimson so that's fine by me.

LOL !
Next time they will make a hip-hop album and receive an MTV award and you two will say how great it is for them to "evolve"...

I don't remember them having even the slightest nod of hip-hop influences in any of their previous works ...

that being said ... to do something like that would be a COMPLETE departure from anything and everything that has ever comprised their sound

70's influenced prog has seeped its way into their music in one way or another and to greater or lesser extent since the band's inception ... you just need to know what to listen for when its not being blatantly waved in the face of the listener like it is in this new song

invalid argument is invalid

ACDC have never shown any musical diversity at all , from the 70's to now .
Opeth have had a huge amount of diversity in their music for years , so the comparison is ridiculous . The progression they have made musically is of no real surprise to me at least and seems totally natural . In a world with so much musical mediocrity to call Akerfeldt's integrity into question is fucking mind blowing ! Opeth selling out by making an old school vibey progy record , fuck me if that is selling out I might as well end it all as I obviously had no idea this was what MTV and Radio was after , I see a guest slot on Simon Cowell's next show in their future . :loco: