for those who like Lilitu... Blood Promise

SickBoy said:
Yeah, the singer really sounds like a cross between early Patton and a little of Ville Valo. Interesting, rather deep snare sound for today's standards, I like it.
Today everybody seems to go for that high pitched crack that often has no real punch, and this one slams you right in the chest...

Aside from that, is it my imagination or do I hear slight crackling around 6-7 second mark?
nope, not imagining.. it's there.... but as i mentioned, i put this track up for the enjoyment of those who like Lilitu really.. not for critique per se, though it's cool to read what you folks think. the break-up was so minor that i felt that only guys on recording forums that scan for faults would hear it.. lol... didn't want to sacrifice any of the overall punch by changing any of the mastering settings. honestly i've heard worse in big records, so i left it... though i may just remove it with NR software if this master gets used on a release once they get signed :saint:

EtherForBreakfast said:
piano sounds and the warble/ghosty synth at 3:33 from Reason stock bank?

its actually from my korg triton extreme. i have heard a lot of good stuff about reason though, been wanting to check it out! chers -jonah

James Murphy said:
nope, not imagining.. it's there.... the break-up was so minor that i felt that only guys on recording forums that scan for faults would hear it.. lol...

We're really a bunch of analyzing geeks, aren't we? :D

didn't want to sacrifice any of the overall punch by changing any of the mastering settings. honestly i've heard worse in big records, so i left it...

Yeah, you're right, I've listened to far worse masters.
I'm really pissed at whoever did the "Bonded By Blood" remaster for Century Media, it crackles very noticeably and the annoyances all literary all over the place... :puke:

pyramazekeyboardist said:
its actually from my korg triton extreme. i have heard a lot of good stuff about reason though, been wanting to check it out! chers -jonah
jonah means the warble/ghosty sound is from his Korg.. which i mentioned already.... the piano is the baby grand you seein the pics.

here's the set up for rhythm guitars..

jd7reamp.jpg

the clean guitar was direct with pod pro

John Haddad (Shiva Industries) said:
Is there a noticeable difference with using the Foam around the mics I'm assuming its for bleed? Havent tried that one yet just wanted to see if it is worth the effort?
no, l just use them for looks.

seriously though... what does foam do in any other situation?.. it cuts high end a bit... and that's what it does in this application.

had some photobucket difficulties and had to delete and resubmit this post to get the right photo to show up. sorry.

martyfireball said:
champion production...details please..amps, micing etc, ta.
well, here are a few pics... they are just about all i took during the session:
clayton4.jpg

jay2.jpg

derek2.jpg

noah2.jpg

BPPianotracking.jpg

Moonlapse said:
Is that a ribbon mic there on the far right, pointed at the piano, james? Great pics by the way, cheers.
nope, an LDC... specifically a Neumann TLM 103. it's actually at the far end of the piano.

Moonlapse said:
Thanks. That looks like it would be one fantastic-sounding piano. Did you find blending the in Neumann gave something over just the conventional two mics?
well the other two mics are Nuemann's as well.. KM184s

it's not an unconventional micing technique at all... two SDCs up top in a strereo pair and one LDC at the rear, over the far end of the strings down there... really fills out the stereeo pair and adds depth

I thought that was alright. Solid production, the only thing I didn't like much was the drums, they seemed a little clicky (not that I'm capable of achieving better with my meager setup). But the guitars were solid, and the vocals were good too. I love your playing James.

Yeah it sounded like if In Flames turned hard rock. Which is not too bad a concept.

Static said:
I thought that was alright. Solid production, the only thing I didn't like much was the drums, they seemed a little clicky (not that I'm capable of achieving better with my meager setup). But the guitars were solid, and the vocals were good too. I love your playing James.

Yeah it sounded like if In Flames turned hard rock. Which is not too bad a concept.

i'd agree with that! But i thought drums were fine, snare a bit bassy/ hi and mids cut on it which is not my fav sound, buit thats personal pref !

I do actually think that music is really great. Very refreshing. After a few listens, the hiss at the start is pissing me off now haha, and theres just something about the first 10 seconds which let down the rest of the track production wise ( i realise that there is intention to create a filter over the start, but im not talking about this- its something else :) ). To my ears there is something wrong with the pick slide, duno whether its too loud or whatever! And since the first 10 secs of a record form the listeners decision to push 'next' or let it play, its pretty important its fixed imo. I reckon once thats sorted it'll be top draw! :kickass: Great James!!!

Static said:

hey thanks, but i didn't play on this at all, i just produced. don't agree about the drums at all.. i hate clicky drums and these are not clicky in the least.. i'm far more happy with the drums on this than the guitar to be honest. the snare has quite a bit of attack to it, but not "clicky". kick and toms couldn't be farther from "clicky". the guitar sound is just ok.. not great, just decent.... i will sort that for the album to come.