Foreshadowing

dwoakee

Suboptimization Expert
Mar 31, 2006
NRW, Germany
A few days before I got Watershed the thought suddenly occured to me "What if Watershed goes more in the direction of BTPISIO?"

Now, after I listened to it two and a half times, I think that BTPISIO is actually the one pre-Watershed song that most matches the overall feel of Watershed:
  • It feels rather disjointed at first listen, more of a stop-and-go feel with its sudden shifts between fast and slow, heavy and mellow. It takes some time to spot the connections between the parts.
  • Then there's a certain urge, a certain forward-pressing drive to the songs, while other Opeth stuff is more laid-back, even in the heavy sections.
  • There's odd sections like the circus bit in BTPISIO. On Watershed it's the funky section (which is great, but odd), the detuned ending of Burden, the babble of voices at the end of The Lotus Eater.
  • The growling is more furious. While normally it sounds more thunderous, more like making a statement out of it on Watershed it sounds more ready to attack.

What's your opinion? What pre-Watershed song matches the overall feel of Watershed best? What about the other albums? Was there a song foreshadowing GR? Or Deliverance?

A few days before I got Watershed the thought suddenly occured to me "What if Watershed goes more in the direction of BTPISIO?"

Now, after I listened to it two and a half times, I think that BTPISIO is actually the one pre-Watershed song that most matches the overall feel of Watershed:
  • It feels rather disjointed at first listen, more of a stop-and-go feel with its sudden shifts between fast and slow, heavy and mellow. It takes some time to spot the connections between the parts.
  • Then there's a certain urge, a certain forward-pressing drive to the songs, while other Opeth stuff is more laid-back, even in the heavy sections.
  • There's odd sections like the circus bit in BTPISIO. On Watershed it's the funky section (which is great, but odd), the detuned ending of Burden, the babble of voices at the end of The Lotus Eater.
  • The growling is more furious. While normally it sounds more thunderous, more like making a statement out of it on Watershed it sounds more ready to attack.

What's your opinion? What pre-Watershed song matches the overall feel of Watershed best? What about the other albums? Was there a song foreshadowing GR? Or Deliverance?

I was thinking much the same thing actually. I've given the album maybe three listens so far, but you're right, it seems very stop-start and a little disjointed, like they'll stop a riff then play something completely different, there's not a lot of transitions. But at the same time it makes more sense as you listen because they repeat parts from earlier or refer back to things. I still don't like Orchid for its disjointed stop-pause-play-something-else style, and on the first couple of listens to Watershed I thought that it sounded very disjointed, but it is starting to sound more structured on repeat listens, in a very BTPISIO kind of way.

The major difference in Watershed is the removal of 32-something repeats. So there are a lot more new riffs /parts "per second" in the new album, which makes it much more dynamic than other Opeth albums.

BTPSIO is somehow like Watershed, as well. I confirm.

The songs on Watershed and "By the Pain I See in Others" are very dark and perhaps identical structurally, but the main difference is the songs on Watershed blow "By the Pain I See in Others" out of the water.

on the first couple of listens to Watershed I thought that it sounded very disjointed, but it is starting to sound more structured on repeat listens

Agreed.

Thought this topic would be about the band The Foreshadowing. Good band. Sounds a wee bit Opethian.

On topic: Bullets.