Forgive My Ignorance…..Growl Lovers Wanted

Remember that Therion used to be a balls-out death metal band. They don't look the same now as they did then... that's a bit telling, I think...

Yeah, i thouht about that after i posted. I do like therion, so maybe they're an exception. And before anyone gets too worked up, i'll be the first to admit i'm possibly "too" stubborn on this thing. But still, the vast majority of stuff i've seen like this turns out less than good.

That's exactly my point. I can pretty much guarentee that we're not getting a darker more bleak cryptopsy. We're getting a gayer, more gothcore cryptopsy. Sure, Flo is a good drummer, but that gimmick won't keep the band going much longer.

No you can't dude. Sorry. It's a possibility that they will put out a Bleeding Through sounding piece of shit, but they could also put out something really unique and great.

What's more confusing to me is how Power/Proggers are 'Metal' but most hate the growls.... Metal itself was started by Black Sabbath so I guess i'm just confused about how one can say they're a metal fan but hate/don't know anything about growling vocals or what the appeal is.

I'm pretty picky about growling vocals. I think Opeth has the best vocals out there in my humble opinion and most Black Metal vocals that are high pitched i can't stand either, but I know about them and understand it....

I mean when it gets to where I hear someone say that the new Symphony X has gotten too gruff for them for example...at that point i question their metal fandom. LOL

Just my opinion :p

What's more confusing to me is how Power/Proggers are 'Metal' but most hate the growls.... Metal itself was started by Black Sabbath so I guess i'm just confused about how one can say they're a metal fan but hate/don't know anything about growling vocals or what the appeal is.

I have to say I am absolutely 100% confused by this post. To me you are insinuating that Black Sabbath utilizes growls which could not be further from the truth. Clarification?

Also, saying BS started metal is a bold statement, but that's a whole other arguement for another thread.

I didn't mean that their vocals were growls but simply that their style is a lot darker than that of Power/Prog and it set the tone for Black Metal and other very dark themed bands.

yeah i GUESS it's a bold statement to make, but plenty of people have made the statement before so i don't see how it's so blasphemous.

and nothing was honestly meant to be controversial in my statement, simply an observation. You can be offended if you want but...lol i'm not going to go into an epic argument about it when that wasn't my intention to start one.

Cheers.

Well, I'm not into black/death/doom for the most part, but I LOVE growls if they're done right (completely subjective), fit the music, and interplay with clean vocals. Opeth was the first band that intrigued me, but I still had to warm up to them, so I put Opeth on the back burner for a bit.

I'd have to say Ensiferum (folk metal) was a turning point for me...hearing their album Iron, something about Jari Maenpaa's growls really resonated with me, along with everything else about that album. From there discovered other melodic/symphonic/prog/gothic bands that employ combination vox like After Forever, Epica, Orphaned Land, Penumbra, Adagio, Sirenia, Wintersun, Therion, Kiuas, Elvenking and so on. Of course I revisited Opeth, and became very fond of their recent albums (Still Life and forward).

So now I find that when a largely clean-vocal band throws in a small to moderate amount of growls, I'm usually all over it...and it seems to happen more often now as well...perhaps some genres/bands are breaking down old barriers.

I didn't mean that their vocals were growls but simply that their style is a lot darker than that of Power/Prog and it set the tone for Black Metal and other very dark themed bands.

yeah i GUESS it's a bold statement to make, but plenty of people have made the statement before so i don't see how it's so blasphemous.

and nothing was honestly meant to be controversial in my statement, simply an observation. You can be offended if you want but...lol i'm not going to go into an epic argument about it when that wasn't my intention to start one.

Cheers.

Metal as a whole is generally darker though, not just music with growls. I just think it's flawed to say that liking black sabbath and liking growls are mutually exclusive. And the comment about being the first metal band was simply for the sake of pointing out that the arguement goes around and around. I think people will generally agree that Sabbath was one of the first if not the first, but others will argue Zeppelin, Priest, etc. etc. No one will ever agree on that one.

I'm far from offended by the statement, I'm just saying it makes no sense to say that. Though using words like "offended" and "blasphemous" are a tad dramatic in this context eh?
Well, I'm not into black/death/doom for the most part, but I LOVE growls if they're done right (completely subjective), fit the music, and interplay with clean vocals. Opeth was the first band that intrigued me, but I still had to warm up to them, so I put Opeth on the back burner for a bit.

I'd have to say Ensiferum (folk metal) was a turning point for me...hearing their album Iron, something about Jari Maenpaa's growls really resonated with me, along with everything else about that album. From there discovered other melodic/symphonic/prog/gothic bands that employ combination vox like After Forever, Epica, Orphaned Land, Penumbra, Adagio, Sirenia, Wintersun, Therion, Kiuas, Elvenking and so on. Of course I revisited Opeth, and became very fond of their recent albums (Still Life and forward).

So now I find that when a largely clean-vocal band throws in a small to moderate amount of growls, I'm usually all over it...and it seems to happen more often now as well...perhaps some genres/bands are breaking down old barriers.
Pretty much the same here. I wasn't one who just got into growls. It seems like you just ahve to find something that clicks with you, then you can open up and appreciate growls a lot more.
I think this false assumption may be the entire problem.

I'm considering pasting my Ascension Theory review here and seeing if all hell breaks loose. Cheiron, what do you think? :)
I'd love to read the review :heh:

I'm pretty picky about growling vocals. I think Opeth has the best vocals out there in my humble opinion and most Black Metal vocals that are high pitched i can't stand either, but I know about them and understand it....

I mean when it gets to where I hear someone say that the new Symphony X has gotten too gruff for them for example...at that point i question their metal fandom. LOL

BLUE CHEER, IRON BUTTERFLY, and STEPPENWOLF are also considered as metal's originators.

I don't get this at all.......First and foremost; you sound as if growling is the norm and should be accepted by all who listen to metal. I am 39 years old and have been listening to metal music in some form for many of those years and I don’t recall any growls in:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Accept
Jag Panzer
Riot
Saxon
Deep Purple
Scorpions
Raven
Exciter
Megadeth
ETC…………….

I think you get the point…………I recall my first album with growls/screeching was Venom’s Black Metal. This album was the exception in vocal style and not the rule so I am not sure why metal listeners have to be accepting of this style of vocal by default.

So according to you, I am not a metal fan.

Then you go on to explain how you are picky about that style of vox and then say you can’t stand black metal vox. So if one hates or doesn’t understand this style of vox then they are not”metal” or a metal fan but if one is picky and can’t stand black metal vox then they are still “metal”. HHHHHHMMMMMMMM

If someone doesn’t like Russell Allen’s voice in ruff mode then that is their deal. I for one love all things Russell Allen.

I don't get this at all.......First and foremost; you sound as if growling is the norm and should be accepted by all who listen to metal. I am 39 years old and have been listening to metal music in some form for many of those years and I don’t recall any growls in:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Accept
Jag Panzer
Riot
Saxon
Deep Purple
Scorpions
Raven
Exciter
Megadeth
ETC…………….

I think you get the point…………I recall my first album with growls/screeching was Venom’s Black Metal. This album was the exception in vocal style and not the rule so I am not sure why metal listeners have to be accepting of this style of vocal by default.

So according to you, I am not a metal fan.

Pfft, like Priest and Maiden are true metal *rolls eyes*

:lol:

Great post though :headbang: