Fortin Natas - MEATAL!!

Definitely sounds great, but I think the amp was tracked with too much low end. I know you said you look back and agree you could have taken some out, but it doesn't breathe as much as it could.

I like how the tone sounds more in the video, where the mix is much more uncompressed and kind of raw...

in the context of everything else i don't like how this amp sits at all. it doesn't breathe, it just sits there like a brick.

eh.... tooo bad.

I'm curious about the exact mics, positions and distances used for this, if he's willing to release that information. I have a T75 speaker and have been trying for years to mic it as badass as this.

I just signed up on this website. This is one of those rare posts with the opportunity to ask someone who's actually done it right.

I'm curious about the exact mics, positions and distances used for this, if he's willing to release that information. I have a T75 speaker and have been trying for years to mic it as badass as this.

I just signed up on this website. This is one of those rare posts with the opportunity to ask someone who's actually done it right.

The mic I used is a cheap ass Chinese copy of a Neumann KM184. Basically, if you order a hundred mikes from their factory, you'll get your own logo. ;)

So it's a small diaphragm condenser, aimed on axis about right about where the dustcap meets the cone. Unfortunately, my colleagues kicked the mike stand before I could tak a pic, but it's at least in that neighbourhood. When I got a nice character (listening with my in-ear headphones with an insdustrial ear protection on top - 55db's attenuation yeah!) then I moved it from the cloth until I got a nice (in phase) high end crisp. The rest is the Fortin Natas. The problem with T75's is that if you sneeze, the sound is completely different, and within an inch, you can get so many different flavors that it's not even funny anymore. ;)

Compared to a Vintage 30 where you can throw whatever in whatever position and still get that nasal honk that just love to fuck with the vocals. ;)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. :)

The mic I used is a cheap ass Chinese copy of a Neumann KM184. Basically, if you order a hundred mikes from their factory, you'll get your own logo. ;)

So it's a small diaphragm condenser, aimed on axis about right about where the dustcap meets the cone. Unfortunately, my colleagues kicked the mike stand before I could tak a pic, but it's at least in that neighbourhood. When I got a nice character (listening with my in-ear headphones with an insdustrial ear protection on top - 55db's attenuation yeah!) then I moved it from the cloth until I got a nice (in phase) high end crisp. The rest is the Fortin Natas. The problem with T75's is that if you sneeze, the sound is completely different, and within an inch, you can get so many different flavors that it's not even funny anymore. ;)

Compared to a Vintage 30 where you can throw whatever in whatever position and still get that nasal honk that just love to fuck with the vocals. ;)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. :)
can i ask about your headphones ?;P Because for me, all in ear type sounds like shit, can you recommend some models?

cheers

Well, I always do post processing, so not more than usual. ;) Speaking of a crappy vs high end, the SM57 cost almost nothing and is truly a crappy mic, but hell it works for some people. I tested a Neumann U47 FET and didn't like it, so there's more of a trial and error thing to find what you like. No easy thing, I know, but that's the fun thing about miking a cab. ;)

I'm totally late to the party, although I have had the words Fortin Natas in my head for about 3 days. But this is awesome!