Forum Statement

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
After giving this much thought, it's been decided to close the original "reviews" thread for "The Pale Haunt Departure" and create a closed thread where we will only post select reviews. As I have stated before, I will post both positive, and negative reviews, as one persons dislikes, may be anothers likes.

What we will no longer do on this forum, is acknowledge and help promote "lazy journalism" and the websites these people write for. Our fans opinions matter much more to us then some idiot in the basement of his parents house, strapping on his "internet muscles" and writing reviews while having no credentials to do so, all for the prize of free CD's from the record labels, which he'll more than likely leak to the public to secure his status of "cool" to the other music thieves out there.

If anyone here finds a review, and feels they would like to speak on it, feel free to start a new thread, post it, and talk about it, but if that review is filled with lazy, untalented, uneducated, and musically moronic garbage, chances are, we will not be responding to it.

We have wasted enough of our time, our thought, and our breath on this stupidity. We have allowed this shit to litter our forum long enough.

We have always been open with this forum, and have enjoyed participating in conversations with everyone here, and will more then likely continue to do so. This forum is paid for by the band, and is used as a tool to help promote Novembers Doom, as well as connect with the people who listen to and support our music.

This being said, we encourage everyone who picks up a copy of the CD, to relay your thoughts in a thread for "fan reviews," as I've already stated, it's your opinion that means something to us, and we'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks everyone!

Novembers Doom

i just read a bunch of those "reviews" i'm actually taking a 'writing about music' class. i find it funny how little those people know about writing in general... and i thought i sucked. actualyl kind of put a smile on my face lol.
i don't care where you look or go, there will always be narrowminded assholes and people that can't back up what they say.
alot of these "reviewers" probably just type it up and e-mail it in. they don't put enough time or effort into it. i'd love to see what would happen to this world if everyone spoke their mind constantly without thinking just as they do online.

Bottom line is, someone who actually spends his/her hard earned cash, buys our cd, takes it home and really gives it a fair listening experience (hopefully giving it more than one full spin before passing final judgement on it) and really gives it a fair chance, is someone whose opinion I'm more interested in. Not most of these reviewers out there who do not give the proper time and care to each cd they review. Our music is not fast food...something that you can consume quickly and easily that gives you an instant gratification and then you move on. The opinions of the people who truly support this band is what matters most to us. It doesn't mean we'll always agree, but we certainly put more stock into what those people have to say, as opposed to some nobody who writes for some nobody metal site, who could care less about this band one way or the other.

shouldn't the band or the label look into such sites before sending off promos?

as far as listening to something and consuming it i completely understand. i gotta listen to something for like 5 times and even then i can't give a proper review on it. i gotta REALLY listen to it another 5 times to really listen and hear those fine details. certain things jump out at you those first few listens, but those little things aren't everything.

zmetallica said:
shouldn't the band or the label look into such sites before sending off promos?

as far as listening to something and consuming it i completely understand. i gotta listen to something for like 5 times and even then i can't give a proper review on it. i gotta REALLY listen to it another 5 times to really listen and hear those fine details. certain things jump out at you those first few listens, but those little things aren't everything.

5 times isn't enough for me.. for me to ever get a proper review out, I have to listen to the album at LEAST 10 times.. some albums grow with every listen.. the best of them anyway.. Im hoping this ND will as well.. time will tell.. so far on my first listen it's fantastic though.. They haven't let me down yet.. so...

The band has no control whatsoever as to who gets promos and all that stuff. That's all handled by the record label at this point. The label does their best to try and pick and choose through the good and the bad but that's not always easy. Plus, you can send to a reputable 'zine or site, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the cd will fall into the hands of one of the more respectable writers. It's just one of those things. Overall we've been graced with some wonderful reviews during our career as a band, so it's not as if we hate and loathe all reviewers and writers by any means. It just gets frustrating that after all these years we still have to endure the same kind of shallow minded bullshit that gets thrown our way repeatedly by some of these hacks out there. There's plenty of people who criticize and analyze the work we put forth, but who critiques and analyzes them? Where's the quality control over THEIR work? Anyhow, like Paul said, from now on we're not going to acknowledge that crap. We try to be as nice and open minded as possible, but we're through with the disrespect and discouraging bullshit that certain people throw at us. I'd just as soon ignore them, and would prefer they just ignored us completely, rather than put us down for things that aren't even founded in truth or logic.

valgalder said:
5 times isn't enough for me.. for me to ever get a proper review out, I have to listen to the album at LEAST 10 times.. some albums grow with every listen.. the best of them anyway.. Im hoping this ND will as well.. time will tell.. so far on my first listen it's fantastic though.. They haven't let me down yet.. so...
ah well i did say 5 times to consume 10 for a review...

and bout the label in control of the promos, thats good and bad.
i hear ya on the 'assholes' and people who don't back up what they say. i get it at least every day in some sense. i think everyone does to some extent. its also bout where/how you channel the negative energy. some people just put it on someone else (these people). its only up to us to not do the same thing in return.