Friendship stuff

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So,

Most of my life I´ve been a guy without too many friends. When i was a kid, I always had this huge difficulty to make friends and when I thought I did, I always had big disappointments. Other kids stole things from me, beat me up...so basically i grew up with videogames being my best friends. When i was a teenager, I got into basketball, turned out to be one of the best local players and was still as popular as a rock. As a stutterer,quiet and not outspoken guy , I always had communication issues so not being popular is not a surprise.

Anyway, when I got into music I got way more outspoken, meet a lot of people but still got a hard time making friends. Well, i married my bandmate and best friend, but other than that people always said I am a cool guy but never get close and when I try to get close, it is always like I am being annoying. Well, I am turning 30 in a couple of weeks and I also feel most of my then-friends are kinda annoying. Shit, I pay my bills, have my family and I dont feel like talking guitars and videogames and booze all the time.

So..you guys, after your teen years, do you still have friends to share your stuff with , talk about life and this kind of stuff or after being grown up such stuff becomes the role of a psychologist ? :lol: This is not a complain thread but more of a understanding/sharing one. I already accepted since a long time how things are but now and then i think about this.

Can't really comment as I'm still in my teen years but one thing I have noticed about the friends I do have (and I mean actual friends, people that I talk to everyday), is that they're all either people I've met on forums, or musicians themselves. I just don't seem to get on well with non-music people, besides my family. Probably just cause all I ever talk about is music and it's easier to have a conversation when they're not staring at you blankly trying to remember who Meshuggah are :lol:

But yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you, man. Never really had that many proper friends, and I've always been a fairly shy, laid back kind of guy. Not even afraid to admit that I haven't been with a girl since I was 13 :lol:

Ask yourself a question: do i really need more than few friends ?

A serious and proper friendship requires investing time and money for frequent enough socializing.

I remember reading that rockmen and metalheads have a bit higher than average IQ and are more likely to be outsiders and loners.

I can't imagine myself having real life friends who listen to music i hate and/or who have totally different passions and hobbies... my best friend listens to pop music, but at least we share a love for lifting weights at the gym.

I have a couple of friends. Not including my house mate I don't really talk to them much or see them all that often but it's always cool when we do meet up for a few beers or something.
I decided most people aren't even worth bothering with, certainly stops you getting let down by dick heads as often :lol:.

I still have my best friends from my teen years. Our group of guys is more or less made of a dozen of people, and inside this group, you can see deeper friendships to tie it up, like those I would consider really close friends would be a few of them. I also kept 3 very very good friends from my "uni" years (I didn't go to Uni but that's the best analogy I can give you). These ones are more people I would meet once or a twice a year with no problem and still feel totally related to each other.

I think it really is all down to having a compatible personnality. Those I usually feel the most connected with are those who are able to calm down chill and talk honestly while still having a crazy side. Here where I am I met a guy who is super chill, really into music and passionate and sharing and it all makes it feel like he's gonna be a good friend in the long term. I know in my case music tastes or lifestyle doesn't matter even though it is a plus. With a few friends we even throw jokes at each other about our different music tastes and it doesn't matter more than that.

I think it's almost impossible to have more than 5 deep-true/you-can-count-on-them - friends though.